Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Running rookie

Discussion in 'Training Methods and Diet Suggestions' started by saapplicant, Jul 24, 2019.

1. saapplicant

saapplicant New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    morning/afternoon.

I'm having trouble getting into a running routine, as said before ive been going to the gym for close to 10 years, but have never really incorporated cardio...

Every-time i attempt a run i get gassed so quickly and end up coughing my lungs out

Any advice on getting into a regular run schedule?

Also;
    I'm curious about this bmi standard
    I'm 25 years old now, 95 odd kgs and 178cm which gives me a bmi of 30

Ive been going to the gym since 16 and am no fatty as the bmi scale would indicate...

Is this a problem?

2. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

With regards to running, just get the miles in and it will come. Aim to run five times a week starting at around 3 miles and building up to a maximum of 8. Once you can hold a conversation when you're running you are getting there, so then time to up the pace. Introduce hill sprints and Fartlek, such as sprinting between lamp posts and then jog to recovery.

Good luck

Alan

• Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  3. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

@Caversham has nailed it above. Arny's Plan is also a very effective training schedule:

https://www.royalmarines.uk/threads/fitness-help.104425/#post-623515

BMI is a very blunt instrument dating from about 1832. It doesn't distinguish between fat and muscle; it measures bulk. To be honest, carrying too much muscle in RT will be as much a hinderance as fat.
    I understand that a waist measurement to height measurement ratio is also considered when individuals are muscular and exceed the standard BMI metric.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Requiem

Requiem New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Have you tried couch to 5K? Perfect way to build up running if you're getting gassed out quick. I'd say if you're still at the gym, ditch the weights and start hammering the cardio. Get on the rowing machine, bike, circuits, etc.

Sticking an edit in: If you're getting gassed out too quickly you'll probably be running too fast. Take it down a gear until you get used to it.

• Like Like x 2
  5. saapplicant

saapplicant New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Yeah started with the couch to 5 k, seems like a good starting point with walking and gradually working it up...

As for ditching the weights and starting a purely cardio regiment, I'm happy to do that but didnt know where to start .

I have been cycling and walking with weights often its just the actual run that wrecks me !

I know its going to take time but was just wondering if it can be sped up

Thanks for the advice, will have a look at that arny plan

• Like Like x 1
  6. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

The short answer is no.

Just go out for a jog each day and try and push yourself a little bit, either in distance or pace, but do not rush things. That's when injuries occur. From my own experience you're probably looking at around 3 months to see an improvement.

Arny's plan is superb for getting guys through their PRMC, but you need to have a firm base to begin with, which running will give you.

Alan

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1