Running tips

Discussion in 'Training Methods and Diet Suggestions' started by Commando2912, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Commando2912

Commando2912 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I'm going a run in the morning, any specific things to do I don't have a clue I'm just planning to run a mile or so

2. Lawman

Lawman Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Put a sensible route that doesn’t cross too many main roads, try incorporate a hill and make sure you warm up before any exercise

• Like Like x 1
  3. wishful thinking?

wishful thinking? New Member

Roads and people, stay away from them.

My 8 mile route takes me over quite a few busy roads and past a college, ran it on wed at lunch time and was 6 mins slower than I was doing it sat evening.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Williamosaurus

Williamosaurus Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Don't clench your fists whilst running.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Kangarooj

Kangarooj Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Don't just shoot off and expect a record breaking time
    Just find a pace that's challenging, yet maintainable

• Like Like x 2
  6. Commando2912

Commando2912 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    How often should I be doing it? Every day or two?

7. allye

allye Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Depends on many things, fitness level, what type of training you’re doing, how your legs are feeling if doing other leg training etc etc.

I will do 1-2 8/10 mile sessions a week, also 1/2 sprint/interval sessions too. Everyone’s different, but judging by doing just a mile you need to start realllllly low, couple miles couple times a week, don’t push it, get good trainers, warm up, stretch and cool down. Sound stupid but watch some running technique videos otherwise you may end up heal striking lots and hurting yourself.

• Like Like x 2
  8. LRL

LRL Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Just interesting, what difference does this make? I find when digging out clenching the fists is one way too get aggressive which help pushing forwards

9. Kangarooj

Kangarooj Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Using the muscles to clench your fists is a waste of energy believe it or not, it also makes your running style less efficient and less aerodynamic

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  10. Williamosaurus

Williamosaurus Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    It improves your efficiency. Although it takes minimal energy to clench you fists it adds up over a long distance run. Just about every running article or video I've observed has said not to clench your fists. Its helped me. Small details are important.

• Like Like x 1
  11. LRL

LRL Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    @Kangarooj @Williamosaurus i can see why but also straightening the hands must require the same amount of energy because naturally if you relax your hands the position is between clenched and straighten?

12. Kangarooj

Kangarooj Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    It's not recommended to completely straighten your fingers, but just "go with the flow" if you know what I mean, use momentum rather than constant application of force, you will go faster that way while using less energy
    Admittedly we're going into too much detail here, just keep your arms relaxed. When I run I almost roll my shoulders with each swing of my arms, it stops the loss of momentum as my arms come back around in a single motion rather than going back, stopping, and then coming forward with each stride
    It's really difficult to put into words

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  13. Dickie

Dickie Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    What always worked for me, following @Kangarooj tip of finding a challenging but maintainable speed over 3 miles, When you feel like slowing down or stopping increase speed for 10-15 seconds then slow back down to original speed.

Your mind will want to quit before the body does, So in doing this the increased speed will hurt but when you return to original speed you will feel like you have slowed down and I bet you can continue!

But don't try and power through any injury's or niggles, always reduce when needed to prevent a injury or prevent a existing one to get worse!

Also never forget fluids, The amount of people who will show up for a PJFT mock late afternoon, and have had a sandwich from Tesco and a bottle of lucozade.

14. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando

My main exercise has always been running until clapped out knees recently put paid to it, but my advice is to just go out and enjoy it. Do NOT over stretch yourself to start with. If you want to walk then that's fine. There's plenty of time to build up over the coming weeks.

Also plenty of plans around to help you, such as this:
    https://running.competitor.com/2017/08/training/run-5-miler-6-weeks-training-plan_167662

Think about joining Park Run. All abilities turn out for this weekly 5k and it will help enormously.

http://www.parkrun.org.uk/

Lastly, good advice about relaxing the arms when running. It does expend energy clenching up and you will feel the benefits by relaxing.

Come back on here and let us know how you are getting on.

Alan

• Like Like x 1
  15. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Just to add to the sound advice above, anyone wanting to improve running performance could consider joining their local athletics club.

We all know how to run, don't we? Nothing complicated about it; basically it's a speeded-up version of walking, isn't it? Almost everyone can do it. But as with many apparently simple activities one really can optimise technique and improve performance with skilled coaching.

I joined my local club about thirty years ago and was mightily impressed by the coaching available to runners of all abilities. Plus, there were plenty of willing training partners several of whom regularly ran my legs off!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Wings

Wings Parachute Regiment

Start small miles even if your feel fit enough your body isnt always strong enough for the impact for first few weeks dont exceed 2-3 runs a week if you start racking up the miles get strength and conditioning circuits in to keep those muscles strong and avoid injury