Running Trainers?

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by Mattys, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Mattys

Mattys Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I start running outside properly next week and looking for some trainers that will be good in all weather (especially the rain) and are comfortable to wear for the tarmac/concrete.

I'm light footed so my heel rarely ever touches the ground so something with nice cushion and preferably ones that you have had yourself would be very handy if they done you well.
    I've looked at quite a few pairs today but I seem to go for look rather than quality yes won't see me out in a pair of hi-tec or 4 stripe! *text deleted*

https://www.mandmdirect.com/01/details/NB792/ I like the look of these.

2. Cuzza22297

Cuzza22297 Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    If you can I'd recommend going to a special shop for running shoes.

When I got mine I ran on a treadmill in all the trainers I tried whilst they analysed my feet to see which ones suited best (in terms of foot roll etc.)

Easier (and probably cheaper) ordering online but the amount you'll be running means it's definitely worth getting it right.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  3. Hubb97

Hubb97 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Just a quick one but the ones you've linked are for trails so will be a bit dodgy on roads/tarmac! The above advice is probably the best.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Saz

Saz Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Partner
    Agree with advice above, get your gait analysis done my other half did and it made all the difference getting trainers that suited his running style

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  5. Chelonian

Chelonian Well-Known Member

As stated above, knowing the basics about your running gait will help you choose. Many sports shops do a basic analysis for free but if you google 'running gait analysis' you'll find some useful online tools which will also point you in the right direction. For example, examining the soles of your knackered old trainers will tell you a fair bit about the basics of your own foot mechanics.

If you decide to buy online it is worth trying on different brands in a store first so that you can figure out the difference in sizing and fit etween brands. For example, New Balance shoes are at least one size smaller than the label size. In contrast, Adidas shoes are often comparatively narrow for their size.

These days I don't spend more than about £40 on my running shoes. Mine last about nine months before they are trashed (I run daily) and a £40 pair don't last any longer than a £150 pair.

6. Mattys

Mattys Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thankyou for the replies much appreciated!

I live in a pretty small area so couldn't find any places even close to me that gets your feet tested to find the perfect fit.

I just ended up buying some online and hopefully they will be okay I pursches ones for £49.99 so wasn't a bad price.

7. Chelonian

Chelonian Well-Known Member

Buying online is fine but fit and comfort matters most. If the shoes aren't right for you, send 'em back and get another size. Don't try and struggle on with running shoes that don't fit.

8. Kangarooj

Kangarooj Member

App Stage:
    TMU