Running trainers

Reaction score
Mate, I cannot recommend enough that you go to a proper running shop.
Get on a treadmill there, they record your feet running and you get running shoes that suit you.
It looks after your body a lot better believe me!
Since I've done this I have had no issues with shin splints or my knees, which I certainly used to have.

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Where you get it done? In cardiff or birm?

If in cardiff could you recommend where you went?

Qwerty123

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
If in Brum could you recommend where you went?:bigsmile:

In fact, where ever you went, could you say please - i'm keen to get a decent pair of running trainers sorted, just need to scrape a bit of money together first!

Reaction score
I got them done in Birmingham at
http://www.birminghamrunner.com
They're very good and don't pressure you into the mor expensive shoe if it's not right for you.
I don't know about Cardiff, use google or post on a runners website and there will be something.
I think I paid about 70 pounds for my pair (and I'm a stingy *text deleted**text deleted*) and would do it again in a second.

marine_shull

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
if u train in special 'runnin shoes' thn surely tht wud make runnin in the boots they supply harder? jus fort id bring that up :D

seb

Reaction score
No in a word.
Training in special shoes doesn't make the running magically easier. It reduces the risk of injury. Fewer injuries mean you can train for longer, so you will turn up to RT in better fitness, so you could argue it would be easier running in boots as you would have a higher level of fitness.
I've been running for couple of years now and I would not recommend anyone to run without properly fitted shoes. Infact I think it's one of the most stupid things you can do.

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I found a store in cardiff, down woodstreet, they watch you run etc.

Now, I assume I would be wearing my current pair of trainers whilst on the treadmill yea?

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Getting appointment with a physio - mate of my dads, he works with cardiff rugby club so thats good news haha, plus dads paying so thats even better.

*text deleted* have a check with my legs, make sure they don't have calluses and what not, see how i run and all that jazz, so good news at last !

Reaction score
Yeah just run in whatever really. Doesn't really matter I don't think as they just look at how your foot lands as it hits the pavement.
That's a good plan mate, my right thigh makes some very wierd noises sometimes so I might do the same at some point.

Qwerty123

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Cheers for the reccomendation CardiffStudent, will be paying them a visit soon.

got a physio appointment on tuesday so going to brain storm them on orthotics/ running shoes etc, as had surgery and a couple of months on crutches for what boiled down to being a tendovitus injury which i am sure is as a result of bad body mechanics. Also got a very clicky ankle!

Good luck with staying injury free!

Phoenix

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I dont mean to piss on anyone's parade Ive mentioned this on here before and got no answer. My feeling is that is all well and true getting specially fitted running shoes but what you *text deleted* do on PRMC or RT? Its my understanding that you will have to run in what they provide no fancy shoes or trainers etc so whats you injury/problem *text deleted* do then? I too suffered from weak/imbalanced shin muscles I gave mine uber rest some of that rest was thanks too circumstance however Im happily running on treadmill etc pain free :)

M

MTW

that dosent make any sence at all.....besides the fact you can wear your own trainers on PRMC anyway....but why risk an injury when you dont have to?

mrdanie

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
For training, wair training shoes, wouldn't want to risk injuring yourself early on with boots, that time will come.

I need to get some of the proper running shoes after being looked at to see my running. I guess if i run like a girl they will give me pink girly shoes :p.

Id only run in boots to wair them in and get used to it, but definately not yet, maybe if your running is at a pretty good level then perhaps incorporating some boot runs may help..but i dont know, i still wouldnt want to risk it.

M

MTW

i got told by the bootneck at the afco never to run in the boots and on PRMC, just walkaround in them to wear them in, but to definatly not to run in them, they will build you up to running in boots, so no need to.

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Aye, Guess only thing you need to do with the boots prior is to wear them in?

Was told by an ex-army pti who's helping me, that the boots prior to RT could reduce effectiveness by causing injury (anything from tendon / muscles to skin) so I think im going to listen to him on that one haha.

And to phoenix:

The shoes are diff types depending on how your feet land and what foot type (flat etc) that you are, and for boots and more severe cases - you get insoles :wink: The insoles provide the support you need whilst using the boots.

Of course, countless generations have dealt with it, but I figure in this day and age where theres easy solutions to such problems, why bother putting up with them? Im sure as *text deleted**text deleted* sick of having my calfs feeling like I just got stabbed.

Phoenix

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I understand where you all coming from and agree however my point is are you allowed to take and wear whatever "running aids" youve been using wither it be special trainers or insoles etc to RT? If so great no problems if not then surely the problems will just return? Unless of course the running aids actually fix the problem over time allowing you to one day no longer wear them.

Qwerty123

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Yes, the orthotic insoles are supposed to be remedial over a longish period of time

jeremy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
so you're saying that after wearing orthotics for a sustained period you may not need them anymore?

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, you can wear them during RT. If you have big enough problems you can be prescribed your own type of boot too.