Running with music???

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I've been smashing all my times recently with the use of the missus' Ipod, and have found a couple of tracks that have the perfect beat to run to in order to get good times (1.5/3 miles etc). My worry is though, that I will get used to it and without it, the same route will feel harder.
Anyone have any useful experience?:dontaskme:

Windy_Chris

Reaction score
Lots of people seem to think running with music is bad but when im on my own i use an i pod and when i run with other people i dont, they seem to serve the same function (taking your mind off the misery *text deleted*). Everybody says when you get to CTC you dont have music, fair one but you do have a load of other people doing the same thing as you to drive you on.

Charlie

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i used to run wit music, and when i stopped wit the music, i acheived better times. But ive gone back to music now, i get bored otherwise!

running wit music is perfectly good to me, if it helps, go for it!, cant do any harm!

the only thing is, i like to get in a breathing pattern, so no music or low volume music is better for me tthat way : ).

:amuse:

TheBaker

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hmm, I did my 3.4 miler with music the other day and my time was worse than the time I had done before. I did it the day after without listening to music and my time had improved to where I wanted it.

That was a speedier run though I think music works better for longer runs where you're not under pressure and are taking your time otherwise the music can defocuse you, that's just my perspective right now though.

But yeah you've got to be able to run without the 'aid' of music cause we know it's a powerful psychological force that has it's place but to not rely on it is necessary.

rusty92

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Remember guys running wont physically help you but motivationally it will help you and normally its the tempo of the music which makes you run that bit faster!... And if theres a song you like you will push it even more.. Thats how i look at it but it wont make you run any faster!.. Its all about the Mind lads.. If your detirmained enough to reach your goals you can do it.. Music isnt needed trust me!.. But i can see were your all coming from it is nice to have some music on at times, Drum And bass certainly is a good genre of music to listen to while out running!.. Just the tempo of the music normally is fast so sometimes it makes you shift abit more *text deleted*..

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
There are a couple of D'n'B tracks that I have been listening to on repeat that have a tempo ever so slightly faster than that of my normal running pace. So by running to those tracks and keeping to the rhythm last night I beat my 1.5 mile by 33 seconds, still not saying what it is though!!

It was the fact that those tracks are PHAT as you like and trying to keep to that beat that made me run faster, not the wanting to get fit or push myself.