and every other week,
I get the bus to the swimming baths,
go swimming,
and then run back.

The reason I do this as I thought it would be a good idea doing 2 exercises,
both pretty knackering,
straight after each other,
but I obviously have to carry my stuff for swimming,
towel, shorts, shampoo, shower gel, change of clothes (if I'm getting the bus back), big bottle of water, phone, wallet, keys,
and obviously my towel and shorts get heavier when wet.

The reason I am posting this is to see people's views on it,
is this running with too much weight,
or is it not that bad because it's only light?

Joe

Aussie89

Reaction score
I do this as well mate. I think its ok as it isnt much weight however i think it more matters the way in which you carry it i use a proper day pack from a adventure shop. The guy at the shop reccomended it to me and hasnt cause me any troubble yet and as it sint much weight its fine.

hope that helps but its just my opinion

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
Cheers,
yeah I better invest in a proper day pack then.

Joe

Point

RM Officer Recruit
Reaction score
I do it as well mate. Done loads of running with packs in the brecons and did a marathon last summer with one, never had any problems. I think as long as you done run with a huge amount of weight and not all the time then you should be ok.

S

Sotiris

What are the hazards?..I know running is supposed to be bad for you full stop but there's nothing we can really do about it.

Surely getting used to running with weights is important. Considering we'll be carrying a lot of weight on our backs and a rifle in our arms in RT?

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
Yeah so you'd think getting used to it a bit was a good idea,
just everyone advises against it,
because of the way you pack your bag,
how you run with it,
and other things,
I think they just say that 'cause otherwise someone will put a 50lb bag on their back and try and run 10 miles,
and end up damaging their spine,
I'm guessing it's just easier for them to be objective about it.

Joe

FletchPRMC

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
What are the hazards?..I know running is supposed to be bad for you full stop but there's nothing we can really do about it.

Surely getting used to running with weights is important. Considering we'll be carrying a lot of weight on our backs and a rifle in our arms in RT?

Yea so running with weight is bad for your joints full stop. So you might as well leave it till the last possible moment.

Midnight_assassin

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I'd say thats alright mate, but just be careful, if you experience any pain stop straight away, and make sure your bag is held firmly agaisn't your back.

Satch

Reaction score

Yeah but in RT they build you up to it progressively so your body gets used to running with a little bit more weight each time. Plus you'll be carrying the weight in webbing, daysack etc. so it'll be held really tightly to your body and won't be flapping about.

Stacka

Army Commando
Reaction score
Whats the point with running with weights?

You dont need it, it doesnt benefit you.....only increases the chances of you injuring your self.

Seems to me your doing it as a fashion accesory...."look at me, i can run with weights!!"

Its not needed yet.

aaron_murphy

Reaction score
just to let you know, i started by biking the 4 miles to work and back every day, then about a month later i started biking with about 30 pounds on my back (that one was pretty pointless apart from it build the back muscles up). then a month or so later i began running with no weight. a month after this i began running with about 10 pounds in, this increased until i was running at one stage with 50 pounds in my back..literally. it was soo hard at first but with the right backpack and if u distribute the weight apporpriately it has a massive benefit. now for those of you who say it doesnt well my PJFT is 8.07 and i came first out of 30 guys in my aquaint day and i came first out of 57 guys in my PRMC with a time of 8.07. it does help but you have to progress yourself according to you threshold. hope that shed some light. oh as for running to swimming that will work very well for you.

S

Sotiris

Hehe Stacka, while my bag may be pretty when I'm running, I'm certainly not!

Well done Murphy. I think it makes sense really...."good timbre does not grow with ease, the stronger the wind the stronger the trees".

I've heard weighted push-ups are encouraged so surely the same goes for running. If you can finish a weighted 4 miler with weights surely it goes to say that take that weight off and you'll do it a lot better.

It doesn't have to be anything serious, like Murphy said..10lbs or something.

Anyways, what ever works what ever works.

Jfantana

Reaction score
like the other lads on here have said, use a decent day sack with straps accross the chest and waist to reduce movement. Also, put your towel in your bag so its between you and your water bottle, keys and anything else which might dig into your back.

Duffy1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I'm slightly surprised 8:07 was the best 1.5 mile time on that PRMC-I thought the standard would have been higher

Loz

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
The reason they tell you not to do it is because there'd be a few silly *text deleted**text deleted*s out there who'd think there Rambo and can run with 40kg causing permanent damage to there back. If you have common sense and gradually build the weight up from a low weight with a suitable bag you should be ok.

0.01%

Reaction score
I'm slightly surprised 8:07 was the best 1.5 mile time on that PRMC-I thought the standard would have been higher

Dunno mate, still a good time! He got decent scores on the upper body strength tests as well, after all you can not ask somebody who wants to pass PRMC (i.e someone with an all round level of fitness, CV and upper body) to break records for running......

It is nearly two and a half minutes under the time limit, very good if you ask me!

jay2401

Reaction score
Don't do what i did and put weights in your bergain as the knock your back while running and gave me a massive bruise and sore on my lower back *text deleted*!