Running With Weights!

Taggart91

Reaction score
Hi i have my PRMC very soon. As it is getting so close i have started changing the way i train, i recently have been making it very tough on my body. I have been running with a back-pack on with books in it (They aren't my books so my mum wont be pleased :fight:) and i increased the weight each time i went out up until a certain weight. I have been surprised to find out how fit it makes you feel after just a few days. I can now run the 1.5 miles needed for my PRMC carring 30 pounds in 10mins 7secs (best time). It gives you alot more indurance than i was expecting.
Doing this made me think if this would help with the other excercises such as push and pull ups? I dont want to try doing these yet as i dont want to get an injury so close to my PRMC. Does anyone think its worth doing though?

Qwerty123

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Hi mate,
A lot of people will criticize for running with weight on, it can lead to injuries if you go about it in the wrong way or too quickly, and some of the old and bold say "just get yourself fit enough to run normally, the training staff will get you used to running with weight GRADUALLY."

The idea of recruit training is you go there fit, and they will train you to do weight carrying marches and all the rest of it.

However a lot of people do it and have no problems with it and say it definately helps with making training more intensive.

I think some of it is to do with young still growing bodies trying to run with weight and hammering joints, backs, twisting ankles or getting injuries from heavier impacts.

I am going to just get good at running normally. I still have plenty of work to be done on the 3 miler etc, so i am not going to go doing it.

I do however use a 10kg plate in a rucksack for adding variety when doing press-ups and pull-ups. Bang out as many press-ups as you can with the plate in, then when knackered, take the bag off and keep on going for example.

Whatever you do, try not to get an injury now with your PRMC so close!

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Well I would say yes, doing press ups and pull ups with weights will definitely help you, providing you can already meet the standards required (passing the PRMC I guess you can), as doing it without the weights would be much easier. Providing you have adequate time to rest.

You sure you did 10 minutes 7 seconds with 30 pounds of weight?

Taggart91

Reaction score
Well I would say yes, doing press ups and pull ups with weights will definitely help you, providing you can already meet the standards required (passing the PRMC I guess you can), as doing it without the weights would be much easier. Providing you have adequate time to rest.

You sure you did 10 minutes 7 seconds with 30 pounds of weight?
Yeah mate im not entirly sur it was 30 pounds but i got a few peoples opinion and they say it was around that give or take a bit. I go that time just from a standing start not after doing a 1.5 mile in 12.30. I am able to do the run without weight in about 8.30. I have always been good at running as i was a member of a running club since i was 8 until recently when i quit.

Oh and to add to what you said i cant quite do the pull ups yet i can get about 5 max.

MI64

Reaction score
All this week I have been tabbing 4 miles every day with 60lbs on my back and have got it down to 52 minutes dead.
Back to trainers and shorts as of Monday.

M

MTW

if you say "tabbing" in when your at CTC you will get a mighty 'extra phys'.

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah mate im not entirly sur it was 30 pounds but i got a few peoples opinion and they say it was around that give or take a bit. I go that time just from a standing start not after doing a 1.5 mile in 12.30. I am able to do the run without weight in about 8.30. I have always been good at running as i was a member of a running club since i was 8 until recently when i quit.

Oh and to add to what you said i cant quite do the pull ups yet i can get about 5 max.
Well I would recommend that you are able to do at least 10 - 12 pull ups before you start using weights. That's the stage I'm at now so I will give it a try.

Reaction score
If you can don't use weights, use real objects. The weight is much more evenly distributed then.
I did lots of trekking in the jungle last year (2 months) and it's so much better for you if you do it this way. Believe me!

MI64

Reaction score
Tabbing Sorry its habit, Need to get used to the change from Army to Booty terminology

Brew/wet
Tab/Yomp and the need to place ers on the end of ever term Redders/threaders and so on..................

My bergan is evenly packed for weight, but thanks for the advice

MI64

Reaction score
12 miles this morning with 60lbs in 2hrs 54 mins.Felt really good could have gone on for more. Drank 4 litres of water in the time. Got some wierd looks from the early morning joggers. and a couple of wolf whistles from some very fit Blondes mmmmmmmmmmmmmm I love training

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
i used to run with weights about twice a week when i went to cadets (ride the bike now *text deleted*). was pretty good, helped me quite a bit for endurance

and i find that whole "they will build you up gradually" stuff pretty funny. because how they going to do that. i swear you go from carrying nothing to carrying webbing or carrying a rifle. and they aint light.

think they might start you off carrying a pencil then add a rubber the week after *text deleted*..

anyway... i would however advice against press ups with weight, not because of injury but simply because there is no requirment for press ups with weight to be done during RT. ok it does get done in the field because people *text deleted* about. but in all honesty whats the point in doing press ups with weight!? just do more, same results less strain on the back, and you see a good increase in press ups, where as with weight you may get dishartend if you can only do 20 when you can usually do 40 without weight.

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
the main problem with running with weights is if you don't know how to load your bergan and bnit it can cause some problems. plus the increased chance of injury. if you know what you're doing why not.

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
anyway... i would however advice against press ups with weight, not because of injury but simply because there is no requirment for press ups with weight to be done during RT. ok it does get done in the field because people *text deleted* about. but in all honesty whats the point in doing press ups with weight!? just do more, same results less strain on the back, and you see a good increase in press ups, where as with weight you may get dishartend if you can only do 20 when you can usually do 40 without weight.
I see what you mean but I've done it before,
and find it helps build up muscles in the right places,
obviously you should get used to doing it normally,
but I find everyone once in a while it's pretty good,
and a bit more weight forces you to push harder.

Joe

TheBaker

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
12 miles this morning with 60lbs in 2hrs 54 mins.Felt really good could have gone on for more. Drank 4 litres of water in the time. Got some wierd looks from the early morning joggers. and a couple of wolf whistles from some very fit Blondes mmmmmmmmmmmmmm I love training
Nice, what bergen do you have?