Running

The Creature of the Night

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all.

After experimenting for a few weeks regarding running, think I've found the " perfect" fit for my own fitness. I'll share it below to see what others think and also, since I am on the first step of joining the R.M.R (recruit test on 31st of this month); I want to see where I can adjust training where possible.

Monday:
Whatever whether, I go on a straight 3-mile run. Usually can complete this in around 27 minutes (usually start losing stamina after around the mile and a half.)

Tuesday:
Swimming for around an hour, which includes 5 lengths of the pool then hobbling about

Wednesday:
1.5 mile best effort (currently at around 09:58)

Thursday:
Swimming

Friday:
Run as many miles as I can.

Saturday
Rest

Sunday
Rest

I am very keen to get this run time down for the fitness. So need to know if I need to make any adjustments to my plan?

Thanks, in advance, for any suggestions.

The Creature of the Night.

Hubb97

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Just as a quick glance I'd change the Wednesday to an interval or hill sprints session. You won't gain much for just doing a 1.5 as it obviously doesn't last very long, usually takes me that long to warm up! No harm in adding another run on the Weekend either as there doesn't seem to be much volume. I'm doing about 20-25 mile a week sometimes more which seems a good sweet spot- take care in building up to this though if you're just starting off.

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Just as a quick glance I'd change the Wednesday to an interval or hill sprints session. You won't gain much for just doing a 1.5 as it obviously doesn't last very long, usually takes me that long to warm up! No harm in adding another run on the Weekend either as there doesn't seem to be much volume. I'm doing about 20-25 mile a week sometimes more which seems a good sweet spot- take care in building up to this though if you're just starting off.

Thank you.
Will certainly change Wednesday to intervals or hill sprints (perhaps alternate between the two weekly)

Want to get my time down for when the times comes for the PJFT. Whilst not far off; want to achieve best I can.

I shall indeed take your advice and build it up gradually; as certainly don't want an injury

Best wishe:

Ballista

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds like you need to work on your endurance. 1.5 miles in 9:58 isn't bad but I'm surprised it then takes you 27 minutes to do 3 miles. You should be aiming for 24 minutes minimum.

How far do you run on average on the 'as many miles as you can' day?

Kangarooj

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Reminds me of Forrest Gump:
"I decided to go for a little run. So I ran to the end of the road. And when I got there, I thought maybe I'd run to the end of town. And when I got there, I thought maybe I'd just run across Greenbow County. And I figured, since I run this far, maybe I'd just run across the great state of Alabama. And that's what I did. I ran clear across Alabama. For no particular reason I just kept on going. I ran clear to the ocean. And when I got there, I figured, since I'd gone this far, I might as well turn around, just keep on going. When I got to another ocean, I figured, since I'd gone this far, I might as well just turn back, keep right on going. When I got tired, I slept. When I got hungry, I ate. When I had to go... you know... I went."

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds like you need to work on your endurance. 1.5 miles in 9:58 isn't bad but I'm surprised it then takes you 27 minutes to do 3 miles. You should be aiming for 24 minutes minimum.

Hi there.
Yes. After the mile and half, my stamina goes. So do need to work on endurance and speed. I am hoping I can lose this 3 minutes fairly quick.

On my "as many miles I can run" day; around 8 miles at a steady pace (e.g., around 100% max effort for around a mile and half then tone it down to around 60% effort).

Obviously, need to put a lot of work in here but, my goal is the RMR and I will hopefully get the run time down quick.

Best wishes:

Ballista

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hi there.
Yes. After the mile and half, my stamina goes. So do need to work on endurance and speed. I am hoping I can lose this 3 minutes fairly quick.

On my "as many miles I can run" day; around 8 miles at a steady pace (e.g., around 100% max effort for around a mile and half then tone it down to around 60% effort).

Obviously, need to put a lot of work in here but, my goal is the RMR and I will hopefully get the run time down quick.

Best wishes:

Not doubting you here, but I'm just surprised that someone who runs a sub 10 minute 1.5 mile and can jog for 8 miles has such a slow 3 mile time.

I'm not a personal trainer or anything but what has worked for me is just to aim to knock off about 15 sec/mile every couple of runs until you're at the stage you want to be. Which I'd say is around a 7 min/mile pace for a 3 mile run.

To be honest, I reckon that if you really put your mind to it you could knock off those 3 minutes in the next couple of weeks. It's mind over matter a lot of the time when it comes to this stuff, most of us can do a lot more than we convince ourselves we can.

Also, as an extra pro tip - if you can afford it - get yourself a half-decent running watch. It will probably set you back around £100, but it makes recording your progress so much easier.

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Not doubting you here, but I'm just surprised that someone who runs a sub 10 minute 1.5 mile and can jog for 8 miles has such a slow 3 mile time.

I'm not a personal trainer or anything but what has worked for me is just to aim to knock off about 15 sec/mile every couple of runs until you're at the stage you want to be. Which I'd say is around a 7 min/mile pace for a 3 mile run.

To be honest, I reckon that if you really put your mind to it you could knock off those 3 minutes in the next couple of weeks. It's mind over matter a lot of the time when it comes to this stuff, most of us can do a lot more than we convince ourselves we can.

Also, as an extra pro tip - if you can afford it - get yourself a half-decent running watch. It will probably set you back around £100, but it makes recording your progress so much easier.

Hi there mate.
It is strange. Can blast the mile and half but then lost it for the final 1.5 on the three miler.

What I’m going to do is. Is as you d suggested, and push myself on Monday. As I do want to get this time down in anticipation of the PJFT.

Thank you for the tip re: watch and will get one to track my progress.

Thanks for the help. I do appreciate it

Ballista

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hi there mate.
It is strange. Can blast the mile and half but then lost it for the final 1.5 on the three miler.

What I’m going to do is. Is as you d suggested, and push myself on Monday. As I do want to get this time down in anticipation of the PJFT.

Thank you for the tip re: watch and will get one to track my progress.

Thanks for the help. I do appreciate it

Good stuff mate. Best of luck and keep us posted.

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Good stuff mate. Best of luck and keep us posted.
Will do, mate.

Went on my run yesterday, and got it around 26:22, so there was certainly an improvements. As you said? State of mind. Knees started hurting at the last mile but I just thought "f-it; let's keep going" so was please with that.

With next run, going to go for a slightly longer run, at 5 miles, to build endurance but, what I have concluded is, is that I want to earn the green lid, and will give it my all to earn it.

Best wishes:

Teasly

Reaction score
Sounds like you need to work on your endurance. 1.5 miles in 9:58 isn't bad but I'm surprised it then takes you 27 minutes to do 3 miles.

Completely agree with this - You complete 1.5 miles @ an approx pace of 6:40/mile compared to 9:00/mile for a 3 miler. You just need to get the miles into your legs. Are you pretty new to running? I genuinely couldn't complete a 3 miler when I started out, and you'll be surprised as to how quickly your body adapts itself, so just stick with it.

get yourself a half-decent running watch. It will probably set you back around £100, but it makes recording your progress so much easier.

Tracking progress definitely helps, but there's plenty of decent free running apps available if you've got a reasonable phone, so no need to spend the money on a watch *text deleted* - I use Map my run which is spot on, and others such as Strava, Runkeeper, Runtastic etc are all equally as good I'm sure, so just download one of them.

Cuzza22297

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Tracking progress definitely helps, but there's plenty of decent free running apps available if you've got a reasonable phone, so no need to spend the money on a watch *text deleted* - I use Map my run which is spot on, and others such as Strava, Runkeeper, Runtastic etc are all equally as good I'm sure, so just download one of them.

Endomondo is very good also and free, can't imagine a watch would have much more info on your runs than it. Definitely not £100 worth.

Hubb97

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Just to chuck my two cents in I have a watch and have never looked back. I had a bit of money so got a forerunner 235 which has loads of bells and whistles that you don't need but are nice to have, I'm sure you can get a decent one for far less. I think these free apps are free for a reason- last time I used one it reckoned I was breaking world records for 5k so can imagine if you were to lose signal it can skew everything completely, plus must be a nightmare to carry your phone with you on every run! But whatever works for you! Nothing wrong with just running without worrying about times and pace too!

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Completely agree with this - You complete 1.5 miles @ an approx pace of 6:40/mile compared to 9:00/mile for a 3 miler. You just need to get the miles into your legs. Are you pretty new to running? I genuinely couldn't complete a 3 miler when I started out, and you'll be surprised as to how quickly your body adapts itself, so just stick with it.

Hi there, mate.
Used to run when I was a teen but had to get back into it. SO "returned" to running.

As you, and many have said, need to get the miles into the legs. Cna blast out the 1.5m no problem but lose stamina on from there in. So going to work on endurance by firstly, jogging at a "comfortable difficult" pace for 3 miles and build it up from there.

It is rather annoying. can smash the 1.5m run but then lose it for the following one but, I am going to work at it and aim for the standard 22:30 time frame.

Thanks for the all tips, lads. I do appreciate it.

Re: the watch? I've got one of these Sony SmartWatch 3 things and use the L.F Fitness app (it's free and does a pretty good job I feel); though it is a pain in the backside carrying the phone with me when going for a run! And my watch isn't compatible with it, sort of thing

Ballista

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
@Teasly @Hubb97 @Cuzza22297 @The Creature of the Night

My phone is just a cheap thing so I wouldn't trust it for tracking my progress, but even if I had a decent phone I think I'd still go for a watch. Can't be dealing with having it bounce around in my pocket and I can glance at it mid-run to see whether I'm maintaining the pace I should be and how much further I have to go.

Not claiming it's an essential but it's made my life a lot easier.

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hi there, lads:

Done some intervals, earlier on.

Sprinted for 40 seconds
Rested for a 1 minute
And done that 10 times

It felt good and got the cardio going like hell. However, do I need to do them more than once a week, or is once sufficient? As what I was going to do is, is do one week of hill sprints, and one week of intervals just to mix it up a bit (as I am aware the body needs to be kept surprised to keep it going)

Thanks for all the advice, lads. Cannot weight for the R.T but, another question I have, how quickly (provided I pass R.T) is the interview and medical? In other words is it possible I could get attested before Christmas?

Best wishes:
The Creature of The Night.

Cuzza22297

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
How many times are you running a week?

To be honest you could/should be doing intervals AND hill sprints in a week, plus a longer run for endurance.

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hi there, mate:

I currently run 4 times a week but if I should incorporate both hills/intervals in the week? Can easily do it.

Cuzza22297

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds good. If you do the following in a week then you should have all bases covered:
Hill sprints
Intervals
3 miler best effort
Longer steady run

aiker123

Reaction score
Nike running app is a brilliant app for recording your running times. So much better than half the fitness watches out there

New Threads