Running

rmc_86

Reaction score
Hello guys, just a quick question, as you may already know I have only been training for about 3-4 weeks so far.

The thing is when I was younger and much fitter and played for our local football team during pre-season training some of us ran/trained with bin bags on as we were told this was a good way to increase stamina. Is this true or is it a myth ha ha?

Is there anything else I should be doing just now to help increase my cardio and stamina as I want to get this right before I start all other training so that I have a good base to work from instead of feeling down and pee'd off cause I can't keep up.

Hope this makes sense, anyone with any ideas/suggestions please help me out?

Thanks

blocky

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
swimming is amazing i couldnt run to save my life my run time was like 12 minutes on a tready prob more so i started swimming and after 2-3 weeks i have got my run time down to 9:40

rmc_86

Reaction score
swimming is amazing i couldnt run to save my life my run time was like 12 minutes on a tready prob more so i started swimming and after 2-3 weeks i have got my run time down to 9:40

Cheers mate, I was going swiming but I thouught the running was better so I stopped, but I think I'll go swiming the nights I don't run, thanks for that mate;)

rmc_86

Reaction score
Do you think cycling would help? I really want to be able to increase my stamina and cardio I keep thinking its going to happen overnight but I still don't think its happening quick enough!!

blocky

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i thought that mate, yeah cycling also good helps with the leg muscles, but i love swimming for some reason and i find running quite boring. dont get me wrong i dont dislike it but swimming just seems more fun hahaha the thing with swimming is when u feel like u cant do another length just carry on and do another 3 works like a dream.

Mackie

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Everything helps. Whatever you're doing just make sure you make it progressive and increase what you are doing each week. That way you'll know if your stamina is increasing.

The first 4-8 weeks will be the hardest. Once you get through that you'll begin to want to exercise all the time and by then you'll feel a lot fitter.

Tomm2024

Reaction score
There are a few things involved in 'getting better' at running, they are:

Increased VO2 max - VO2 stands for Volume of O2 (Oxygen) that your lungs can take in and process in one breath. Through any cardio training, you can help to increase your VO2, so swimming, cycling, etc will all help.

Increased recruitment of muscle mass - Running involves using your leg muscle to propel yourself - training your muscles to work effectively as a unit helps, as does general muscle working. So, those press ups, squats, all the muscle work you do will actually help running.

Increased efficiency - It's recently been shown that most of the increase that someone new to running will experience in terms of being able to run faster and for longer are down to muscle memory. The more often you run, the more you train your body with that movement and the more efficient you get at that movement. Simply put, your body learns how to do the action using the least amount of energy (which is obviously useful from an evolutionary perspective). This helps explain why someone who runs every day for an hour is exhausted after half an hour on a cycle - their body just isn't used to the movement. To increase this, you just need to 'get out there', start running outside, even if it's only for five minutes a day. Those five minutes will help your body to learn the movement.

So, three main steps:- Increase VO2 through a variety of cardio exercises, Increase muscle strength to keep up with demands of running, Increase muscle efficiency through running itself!

Hope that helps,

Tom

Edit - I keep a book that I write in every workout I do, new page for each day. If I don't exercise, I don't write in the book and that gets to me. I want to make sure I improve every day (with a rest day every week), even if only by a little.

rmc_86

Reaction score
Cheers for that Tom, lot of good info there mate. Thanks again!!

Wardy10

Reaction score
more tips

if you are running on a treadmill, keep looking fowards dont drop your head, it also keeps you focused and helps tone muscles in the neck gradually, and if you are on the tredy, run with your eyes closed makes the time go much faster but seems like you are going slower than with your eyes open if you understand what i mean. hope this helps.

rmc_86

Reaction score
if you are running on a treadmill, keep looking fowards dont drop your head, it also keeps you focused and helps tone muscles in the neck gradually, and if you are on the tredy, run with your eyes closed makes the time go much faster but seems like you are going slower than with your eyes open if you understand what i mean. hope this helps.

Cheers Wardy, I've been doing all my running outside on concrete so far. I am thinking of trying a 1.5 miler on a treadmill just to see how it goes, and how much I need to improve.

Thanks;)

Plummy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
hello mate running with a bin bag doesent increase stamina it make you loose weight quicker due to the heat making you sweat alot more. for increasing you running do interval training which should give you extra air in your lungs on short and long distances. cycling and hill running is also a great way to improve your cardio