Russian spy: Conspiracy theories and denial in Russia

Discussion in 'Military News and Clips' started by Chelonian, Mar 5, 2018.

1. GreyWing

GreyWing Nobody

I'm just listening to RT and as expected they are killing us with logic.

"To say the Russian's are guilty because they developed the nerve agent 30 years ago, the UK would then need to admit they are responsible for the death of Kim Jong-un's half brother who was killed last year with VX agent developed by the British in the 50's."

Same rules apply.

We may as well bent over and given them a free kick at our private parts. These aren't Russian commentators either, these are former MI5 and CIA officers openly mocking us.

2. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

I can black cat that one. Pondering if every Soviet era Kalashnikov used in acts of terrorism globally is also evidence if one applies that rule literally. :)

Incidentally, the BBC is still reporting the Salisbury nerve agent as being "Soviet era" contrary to an interviewee's comment on WATO this afternoon. Which suggests that his assertion hasn't yet been verified.

• Like Like x 1
  3. GreyWing

GreyWing Nobody

Eventually we'll blame the Chinese for gun powder and threaten cyber attacks on them.

I must say, the Police and Armed Forces involved are remaining very professional. The Scotland Yard chap this afternoon was very calm, and moderate. Good to see some sanity.

One Tory idiot is calling for a cyber attack on Russia to start immediately, have we got a load of hackers that can code in Russian all of a sudden? Whilst we probably have a few, why would we let them, or their methods for such a nonsense attack?

Whereas Russian cyber hackers can most likely all code in English, I wouldn't suggest this is a smart move to this Tory numb nut. We'll probably be able to take out a Russian kebab shop. It was only last year we watched as the NHS slowed down because of a few cyber criminals attacking computers running Windows ME / XP. Imagine what the Russian state could do if they tried.

Anyway, I need to have a sit down in a very quiet and dark room. :eek:

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  4. News

News RSS Feed

The BBC's Steve Rosenberg asks Russia's president if Moscow was behind the attack on Sergei Skripal.

Continue reading...

5. News

News RSS Feed

The government's expulsion of 23 embassy officials in response to the Skripal case is explained.

Continue reading...

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

Question Time this evening seems made up of panelists from a local pub, expounding theories based on what they read in the tabloids.

Nevertheless, they pretty much seem to agree it was Russia what done it.

7. News

News RSS Feed

Both the UK and Malaysia faced nerve agent attacks on their soil, but they responded very differently.

Continue reading...

8. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Interestingly, Mrs May never uses the word 'guilty' (the fact of having committed an offence) when attributing liability to the Russian Federation, intsead saying 'culpable' (deserving blame).

Personally I think she's making a good job of it so far.

• Like Like x 1
  9. News

News RSS Feed

State TV and Russian social media users react to poisoning with alternative takes and scenarios.

Continue reading...

10. News

News RSS Feed

The president spoke after the US and European allies said there was no other "plausible explanation".

Continue reading...

11. News

News RSS Feed

The BBC's Gordon Corera considers the attack on Sergei Skripal and his daughter in Salisbury.

Continue reading...

12. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

"Poisoned ex-spy: Why does UK think it was Russia?"

The Russian Federation hasn't done itself any favours here. It has permitted its closely controlled domestic media to belittle and sneer rather than address the real concerns of many in the UK and globally.

As the saying goes:

"If it looks like a duck, swims and flies like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck."

13. GreyWing

GreyWing Nobody

What specific concerns are they?

14. cc1

cc1 RAF Commando Officer (former RM)

I guess if the Russian State-owned news outlet RT says it wasn't them it must be true o_O

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  15. GreyWing

GreyWing Nobody

I haven't seen them deny anything and I watch it quite a bit.

But if you mean that they give airtime to former British ambassadors, former MI5, MI6, CIA agents who ask questions about the incident then I guess that must confirm the bias many assume it has.

16. A350-800

A350-800 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    But RT is incredibly biased
    It became difficult to take them seriously after MH17

17. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

The circumstantial evidence linking the government of the Russian Federation to the incident in Salisbury appears to be strong. It's fair to assume that not all of the evidence which underpins the actions of the UK government is currently in the public domain.

Support in Europe, the USA and wider is of course politically motivated by each nation's interests but there is a growing sense of 'it could happen here'.

Arguably this matter has been complicated by the proximity of the elections in the Russian Federation. Mr Putin's re-election is not in doubt but I understand that this will be his final term. He really needs a big voter turn out to give him a credible mandate so that he can shape a transition to his chosen successor. A sensible course of action but Mr Putin's personal future will also be dependent on the next president of the Russian Federation.

Mr Putin cannot afford to appear weak to the Russian electorate before his election. It will be interesting to see how things pan out next week after Mr Putin's victory and after the Russian Federation has evicted the UK spies from Moscow.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Ninja_Stoker

Bottom line is RT is no more a reliable news outlet than the BBC.

All will claim to be wholly independent, but as with all "witness statements" they seldom hold up to independent scrutiny.

You probably know you're getting it about right when all parties involved in a politically contentious issue criticise the news outlet of bias in equal measure.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  19. Ninja_Stoker

On the subject of RT the smug guy from RT that appeared on Question Time had no intention of denying Russia's involvement.

In fact he had to stifle a sinister smile by glugging a glass of water to stop himself.

All he lacked was a fluffy cat.

Whatever the viewpoint, with something like 14 exiled Russians, critical of Putin living in UK, dying prematurely in recent years, it does seem a little remiss of MI5 not to fully investigate the circumstances before now.

Presumably, if it was "just" the Russian mafia, that would've been OK.

• Like Like x 2
  20. cc1

cc1 RAF Commando Officer (former RM)

Russia also says it had no chemical agents! Let's be clear... This is the country that lied about Crimea, lies about eastern Ukraine, lied about MH-17, culpable in the dropping of chlorine on Syrians, rigs its elections, has a history of killing former spies (litvinjenko), cheated in the Olympics (and paralympics), comes out with public addresses saying it had unstoppable nuclear weapons while videos showing America being nuked play in the background.

I can see why people must think think was an inside job :confused:

• Like Like x 1
    • Seen Seen x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1