s

G

greens

have just completed RM medical and disappointed to find that I had protein in my urine, wax in left ear and now have been asked to use a peak flow meter for 4 weeks and record the readings.
I am horrified about this as I sailed through my medical 4 years ago. I am extremely fit and visit the gym daily for 2 hours. I also run every day for 4 miles and play football and rugby weekly. I surf and have never had any problems with my breathing or never had asthma.
What is the minimum peak flow for RM entry. I am really panicking now.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
The doctor needs to confirm the tympanic membrane is intact, so ear wax build-up is a common issue.

Protein in the urine is frequently just down to the fact the individual has drunk a protein shake within the last 48 hours - most of the protein passes through the body without being retained.

The peak flow diary is usually undertaken if there is any history of asthma, asthma symptoms, an unusually low peak flow reading is recorded during the medical examination or if any inhaler has ever been prescribed. Peak flow parameters vary according to age, weight height & gender.

forestboy

Reaction score
The doctor needs to confirm the tympanic membrane is intact, so ear wax build-up is a common issue.

Protein in the urine is frequently just down to the fact the individual has drunk a protein shake within the last 48 hours - most of the protein passes through the body without being retained.

The peak flow diary is usually undertaken if there is any history of asthma, asthma symptoms, an unusually low peak flow reading is recorded during the medical examination or if any inhaler has ever been prescribed. Peak flow parameters vary according to age, weight height & gender.
Hiya, does this mean when applying for the marines you cant take any supplements? *text deleted** always taken something called spirulina which is basically very high in protein and helps with my rugby alot. Guess *text deleted** got to stop taking it then? Also assume fish oils, zinc and vitamin c are still fine?

OneMoreWrap

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Hiya, does this mean when applying for the marines you cant take any supplements? *text deleted** always taken something called spirulina which is basically very high in protein and helps with my rugby alot. Guess *text deleted** got to stop taking it then? Also assume fish oils, zinc and vitamin c are still fine?
You are allowed to take supplements, just avoid them 48 hours prior to medical as it may affect the results.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Supplements aren't a bar to entry but they aren't permitted in Recruit Training unless prescribed by the Medical Examiner. They can cause a false high protein count at the medical & cause temporary medical unsuitability.