SA80 Test on PRMC.

WelshLad91

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Alrite lads i've been down and done the old PRMC and got another PRMC may.The SA80 Test on the new one is making me pretty nervous! What's it like lads who done it? Cheers.

MacheteMeetsBiscuit

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Not done PRMC but have stripped an SA80-style weapon several times back in cadets, it's really not bad. The SA80 has all the same parts so I'd guess it can be done very quickly, basically just about pushing bits & bobs (mainly TMH screws) in and out and remembering to cover the back so the springs don't fly out and knock someone's teeth out. Then doing it the other way round again.

Put it this way, if a class of 12-13 year-olds can be taught it in 1 lesson, then a group of men age 16-32 with RM aspirations should nail it.

damo

Reaction score
It's really simple mate, nothing to worry yourself over. Just a case of taking a few bits out and then putting them back in again.

Jcheal

Reaction score
I agree mate, nothing to worry about. Just make sure you pay attention when your section cpl is explaining it to you. And don't try to impress him by rushing and messing up. There were quite a few lads in my section who couldn't quite get the hang of it and actually broke one of the rifles and the cpls leatherman...

Keep doing it for as long as you can until it's drilled in. Also a quick tip, even if you're not on sentry when the cpl gives the order to wake everyone up, just go around to all the ponchos and make sure everyones up and out. We had two people who didn't wake up and didn't notice until after we had all stripped the rifles!

Good luck!

jooeee

Reaction score
Can anyone find a HELPFUL video / link on the net ( so far all bb guns tutorials ) explaining the basics just to get a rough idea and help ease my worries as I have no weapon experience before my prmc this month thanks in advance

MacheteMeetsBiscuit

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Unlikely you'll find anything online mate but honestly, as explained, you literally push a few screws here and there and the thing falls apart.

Stripping the bolt is a little more technical but still nothing to worry about.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Categorically no previous SA80 experience or knowledge is expected, required or advantageous on PRMC - in fact it may well only serve to confuse.

All that is required is to pay attention to the brief.

No-one has failed their PRMC solely on the weapon drill element, but a fair few have had their ears bent-back for trying to attempt more than is required or for losing bits in a spectacular manner.

Mozdog

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
No-one has failed their PRMC solely on the weapon drill element, but a fair few have had their ears bent-back for trying to attempt more than is required or for losing bits in a spectacular manner.
I'm sat here chuckling like an idiot. I can only imagine how crap you'd feel if you managed to lose bits of your rifle at PRMC.

Luke2504

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Brace yourself lads, I forsee an argument on how to assemble an SA80. It's going to get rough in here. :bud:

j05h94

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Ohh right, I get it now haha

Sorry Leslie Chow
Forgiven, and please, call me les.
Just seemed like a slight dig mate, considering how similar videos are basically non existent :shakehands:

Jbc

Royal Marines Commando -Moderator
Reaction score
Poor effort having the dust cover open before cocking it...
why? Cocking it pops the dust cover open anyway. You close the dust cover after completion of NSPs and/or function test.

Luke2504

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
You obviously know more than me but what's the point in having it open before you *text deleted**text deleted* it when it opens itself anyway? Surley having it open when not needed defeats the object of having one in the first place?

Edit, quite funny how the filter has picked up on that but I'm sure you know what I was meant to say
Utter filth.

gym beast

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I actually found it fairly difficult at first, they let you have a couple of goes in your room at it, so you get an idea. They will guide you a little bit too on the test. No one on ours failed on it anyway so you should be fine.