SA80

CommandoJ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
how much is an SA80 A2?
.50 Cal MG?

just was asked other day and said i would look into it.

Cheers

Josh

Reaction score
.50cal is some serious firepower its mostly used on the heavier wepons, you would know if u had to carry it around *text deleted* put it tht way :evil:

CommandoJ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
haha sorry guys, i know about the size of the rounds and all that but i ment the prices of them £? you guys know? :D

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
If we're talking about the "Lead Wasp" bit:

It costs about £1000 if you accidentally lose one by "negligent discharge" (ie: fire a weapon by accident). Life in prison if you kill someone you shouldn't have, which is about £2M lost income-ish.

Generally speaking you can expect to be issued rounds & "weapon for the firing of" for free, rather than have to buy them as a member of HM Armed Forces.

"Guestimate", as the copper in a 2P coin is worth more than the coin at present, is about 4P scrap-metal value for the pointy bit, 1P for the stuff than goes "BNAG!" & another couple of pence for the cartridge in which the "BNAG" stuff is placed. Don't pay more than 7P, I'd say.

If we're talking about the SA80 itself, I'm not sure the price of the illegall arms market- best bet is don't lose it, because it'll cost you more than the tax-payer!

Hope that helps.

lord_carl

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Its only 20p per sniper round, 50 cal. Goverment has such cheep ways in killing people now a days. I mean if im going to be shot i at least want the bullet to have cost a cupple of thousand or made out of pure gold, not the recycles of someones old banger. :P

edd91

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
lord_carl said:
Its only 20p per sniper round, 50 cal. Goverment has such cheep ways in killing people now a days. I mean if im going to be shot i at least want the bullet to have cost a cupple of thousand or made out of pure gold, not the recycles of someones old banger. :P
Yea, or be shot by the rolls royce of bullets, duno what it would be but i bet it would put a big dirty hole in you. :cry:

lord_carl

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I Will check with the enamy befroe we engage in battle, they may only shoot me if there bullets are made from super cars *text deleted*

Josh

Reaction score
to be honest i would like mine to be made frm a scrap gsxr1000 :twisted:

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
6.8 Vs 5.56 Rounds

just thought i'd see what everyone thinks of this new trend (eg M468) that seems to be edging back towards a higher calibre in assault weapons especially given the US's insistance that NATO uses 5.56 way back when (1950s).
Just wondered, especially ex/current serivemen on here, what you guys thought of it bearing in mind increased FIBUA roles UK forces have.

http://www.defensereview.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=383

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
From what my uncle told me when he was still about, he preferred to use the SLR due to the higher calibre, he found the 5.56 to be a bit poncy.
Then again, the 5.56 does inflict a large amount of damage internally with certain forms of the ammo, and rounds such as the 7.62 round of the AK have a big kick but tend not to inflict major damage internal unless it hits something like your heart haha.
I guess it's why there is so much interest in an intermediate round with higher stopping capacity thats still light and easily handled?

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
apparently though the charge theyre using in the 6.8 still causes the tumble effect whilst having more stopping power. makes sense for FIBUA to have a larger calibre i guess.
Was just curious

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
Remember they got rid of the higher calibre rounds because they were killing too many people instantly. They looked on it as better to severly hurt someone with a smaller calibre and have to have his mates help him off the field of battle, rather than kill him instantly and his mates keep on fighting you.

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
Larger Rounds

We used to refer to the SLR as the elephant gun, because it would literally stop an elephant in its tracks. The entrance wound would be small and the exit wound would be massive. Talk about being affective!!

However, the russions were, at the time, using 7.62 rounds as well, except their rounds had grooves in them. Consequently, our rounds, would fit into their weapons, but their rounds would not fit into ours. Simple, but quite clever really.

The 5.56 round was introduced to rattle around inside a body, so that if someone broke from cover to help an injured colleague they would get one too.

The good thing about the SA80's reinvention was that the introduced the SUST site with it, unlike the SUIT Site from the SLR days, they finally got the sight needle the right way up.

Cheers

Steve

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
The brutal logic of war is that to main one person, you disengage at least three people at the sharp end, dozens of people in support, incur huge expense & lower morale over a longer period.

That's why very often (though obviously not always) anti-personnel mines maim, chemical weapons incapacitate and 5.56 rounds often injure rather than kill.

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
How Sleep The Brave

There was a film out in the 80's called: HOW SLEEP THE BRAVE.

It was about Vietnam and the American soldiers. What the Vietcong couldn't understand was that everytime they shot an american but didn't kill him, another would break from cover to try and rescue him. They would then shoot him and then the same action would be repeated.

The principles these years on are the same. I often wonder if the logic came from this film or from the concept in Vientnam. Bit of a coincidence, isn't it.

Cheers

Steve

Mack15

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I guess its human instinct to go out and help your fallen freind if they were shot.
Just a thought..