salary progression

Craff94

Reaction score
hi guys looking for a bit of advice,

in the middle of application of joining as a royal marines commando,

i am 26, have worked in the security industry for 5 years events, cp, door work . Aswell as having another job to.
i have been putting savings away to make up for loss of pay i will have on original joining. does anyone know rough idea how quick salary goes up to earn a good salary .
I know you start at just over 20k , does anyone have an idea what you would be on after your initial 4 years.

thanks

Craff94

Reaction score
thanks the guide,
should you be looking to get promoted in that time or would it take a bit longer

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
Can be in 4 years, but it is down to the individual and how they perform. Supplement level 2 for most Marines by the way!!

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score
Just to jump on this post about pay, what is the difference between supplement level 1-4?

Secondly a recruit starts at NERP and then at the 6 months mark goes to OR 2-1 then each year progresses up another level so to OR 2-2?

Regarding second paragraph yes you're correct. You're rates of LSA (Long seperation allowance) will also increase after a certain amount of days spent in the field or on deployment etc. So pay and benefits will continue to increase throughout your career. One big benefit over most civvy jobs.

Referene supplement levels, to be honest I'm not sure

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
Supplement levels depend on your branch, every few year each role in the military gets reviewed and scored those with a higher job role score are in higher levels, level 4 is aircrew in general , level 3 technical type roles , level 2 most roles incl most RM , level one mostly support roles Chefs as an example. Hard to give a definitive answer as to who is in what supplement level as they do change on the reviews!