Sandhurst?

elliott16

Reaction score
was wundering if it is possible to go through Sandhurst then join the RM, or if it is only for the army. i want to get a degree so if i can while not being a civilian it would be great

Duffy1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
You've got a few options mate, but these are the relevant points:

1. If you wanted to study for an open university honours degree whilst in the forces it would take 6 yrs of part-time study.

2. If u went to Sandhurst minimum return of service is 3 and a half yrs, after which you couldn't 'transfer' to RM, you could leave and apply to join RM as other rank or YO depending on *text deleted* age.

3. You could go to Sandhurst and do the All Arms Commando course and get *text deleted* green lid that way, that would probably mean joining artillery or engineers.

4. If you joined RM, you would hav the same opportunities to study for a degree as if u went to Sandhurst, probably more so if u were a YO

5. Couple of months ago, I met a 20 yr old RM Lt, joined straight after school and was in the process of studying for an open university degree in Law, no doubt free of charge

In conclusion, if u want to be an officer go for RM YO 1st, Sandhurst as a back up. If u want to be a Marine go for RM YO 1st, Marine other rank 2nd. Most officer candidates have degrees so u may be at a disadvantage in terms of both academic acheivment and maturity. Also, there is the pay issue to consider (you will be paid more a graduate). But there is no point going Sandhurst just to get a degree, there are no more opportuinties to enhance *text deleted* education in the Army than there wud be in RM.

elliott16

Reaction score
thanks for the help, this may sound really stupid but what is 'RM YO'?

Duffy1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Young Officer-sorry, should have been clearer. YO's are basically the equivalent of Officer Cadets at Sandhurst. RM YO's are 2nd Lieutenants from day 1 of their training whereas at Sandhurst you would be an Officer Cadet until you pass out after which u are commissioned as a 2nd LT. Any questions ask away