Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Sapper Hill. The truth.

Discussion in 'Royal Marines History and Knowledge' started by Rover, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Rover

Rover Moderator

upload_2018-10-11_21-26-3.png

• Like Like x 3
  2. Rover

Rover Moderator

Interestingly I have yet to find any RM with experience of the Welsh Guards in the Falklands having a good word to say for them.o_O

• Like Like x 1
  3. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

But pages of them being criticised for all sorts, including events unconnected with their military professionalism.

Alan

4. Rover

Rover Moderator

Seems to have been absent during their time in the Falklands!:(

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  5. Rover

Rover Moderator

WG.jpg

• Winner Winner x 2
  6. Corona

Corona Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Why was this? I did a bit of reading into it and found this:
    " Elements of the Brigade were clearly not suited to fighting on the Falklands. One American writer has written about the Brigade’s units in less than complimentary terms, citing naval sources as sayingthat the Welsh Guards fared very badly compared to the Royal Marines. 5 Brigade did not have a naval liaison officer, nor did its commander or staff appear to listen to amphibious advice. No matter how you look upon it, there was no good reason for hundreds of men to be cooped up on a defencless ship, sitting ducks for air attack."
    https://dalyhistory.wordpress.com/2012/06/07/falklands-30-5-infantry-brigade-and-sir-galahad/

7. Caversham

I would suggest you have a read of "Reasons in Writing" by Ewen Southby-Tailyour who was the RM officer giving the amphibious advice.
    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3451015-reasons-in-writing

Alan

• Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
  8. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

@Caversham beat me to it. Reasons in Writing focuses on the specific events and issues you refer to in a thoughtful and considered manner.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  9. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

On the topic of Reasons in Writing I picked up my hardback copy in an Exeter charity book shop for £2.50 in 2010. It wasn't until I returned home that I noticed this inscription on the book's title page:

RiW.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  10. Caversham

General Jeremy.....Jeremy Moore MC*, Commander British Land Forces?

Good find!

Alan

• Like Like x 1
  11. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

It crossed my mind. I asked several people independently to decipher the inscription and the consensus is:

General Jeremy -
    With my thanks for so much moral support.

The signature is certainly very similar to that of the author.
    Major General Sir Jeremy Moore KCB OBE MC and Bar died in September 2007. I believe that he lived in the south west up until his death. So much stuff gets binned or carted off to a charity shop when someone dies so it's a possibility I guess.

12. Caversham

EST worked tirelessly for JM during the conflict, so entirely possible. He's still around and a thorn in the side of the current Head Shed. A big supporter of the campaign to release Sgt Al Blackman.

Alan

• Like Like x 1