SAS Iranian Embassy Siege TV show

Necki

Reaction score
Theres an documentary about the Iranian Embassy Siege (by the SAS) on Channel 5 (aka FIVE) on Tuesday (11/11/08) at 8pm.

It's called "Special Forces Heroes" and is part of the "special forces season" and supposedly contains interviews with some of the guys which were actually involved.

Not sure whether its worth watching, just thought I'd put up a post for everyone to see.

taken from five.tv

"Time - 20:00 - 21:00 (1 hour long)
When - Tuesday 11th November on five
Iranian Embassy Siege.
Drama-documentary series that highlights the heroic work of Britain's special forces. This edition tells the story of the Iranian Embassy Siege that took place in London in 1980. Using archive news footage, interviews and reconstructions, the film documents the six-day hostage drama and the Special Air Service's assault on the terrorists.
(Followed By Five News at 9, Subtitles)"

P.S: to admins; feel free to relocate if theres a separate TV section or mroe appropriate forum category.

T

tricky123

Cheers mate, f*text deleted**text deleted**text deleted* love watching SF programs :biggrin:

MS

T

tricky123

Just watched this mate, cheers again for the link :D
Got my adrenaline goin for the night *text deleted*!

MS

TM

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
A lot better than I thought it'd be. I enjoyed how they didn't hold back when it came to discussing the problems they encountered rather than the "SAS eats bullets for breakfast" approach you sometimes get with these programmes.

T

tricky123

A lot better than I thought it'd be. I enjoyed how they didn't hold back when it came to discussing the problems they encountered rather than the "SAS eats bullets for breakfast" approach you sometimes get with these programmes.

Yeah mate same here, I've heard a lot about the siege before but I never knew they ran into any complitcations. They should of shot that last *text deleted**text deleted**text deleted** aswell!!

Distant.RM.Cooper

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
SAS vs SBS

They did cock up a couple of times, They were based on 50% Luck. 50% Skill.
I think they should do an reconstruction of an SBS sabotage. Im sorry but i dont think the SAS is britains best. I know alot of you are going to disagree.

SAS are proberly master's on land but the SBS can cover Land Sea and Air. Just never caught on BBC.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Having watched that version of events, it was interesting to see the problems that were overcome so effectively and impressively. Very brave men, including PC Trevor Lock.

With regard who should have been shot & who shouldn't, even on special ops there are definitive rules of engagement. The guy with the grenade was legitimately an immediate threat. An unarmed, tie-wrapped guy on the ground isn't- hence the 27 year prison sentence instead.

Before criticising the special forces or comparing units, only those who have worked with them in a professional role would be able to make qualified judgement.

From my own experience any conflict is generally won by the side making the least mistakes & it would be extremely presumptuous, with the benefit of hindsight, to criticise the most impressive & successful televised military operation of the 20th century.

Stacka

Army Commando
Reaction score
Ever been to Hereford.....eery one is in the SAS there. Didnt realise there were so many in the Cor.

No seriously i have interesting story, once years and years ago i was on my way back to Hereford (i was living there) and as quite often happens in the winter i got stuck at Worcster forgate. There was a coach service put on, but it would take a hour.

So i decided id get a taxi, a lad that was on the station at the same time had the same idea and tried to get in the same cab. Any way....we decided to get the same taxi.

After about 3 miles i tried ot make conversation but this guy wasnt to up for it, but he reluctanly talked to me. We got to Hereford, and i offered him to go for a drink. He said "na i got to go back to work"....i asked him were he worked. And he just said, "oh up on the blck mountains". Me being sharp and nosey i said "on the camp". He just smiled and said yes mate.

As we pulled to the station he said to the cabby. "Drop him off here if thats ok, im to Creden Hill".

He was a SAS soldier....how *text deleted**text deleted*ed up is that. But i can say, there was something about him i just couldnt put my finger on. I got told so many millions of times that people are SAS in hereford.....but i truely believe this guy was.

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
He was a SAS soldier....how *text deleted**text deleted*ed up is that. But i can say, there was something about him i just couldnt put my finger on. I got told so many millions of times that people are SAS in hereford.....but i truely believe this guy was.

I believe you mate,
obviously there are a lot of people who say they're SAS but in Hereford some people are,
I mean I live in Birmingham and the 23 SAS base is there somewhere,
so obviously there's a chance you could walk past some SAS bloke,
you just wouldn't know one if you saw one.

AdmiralAwesome

Reaction score
I imagine Hereford is quite a quiet place.

You'd never know if that quiet bloke in the corner of the pub was the local postman, or SAS!

Apparently, after the storming of the Iranian Embassy, Thatcher and her husband went to see the SAS soldiers who'd carried out the assault. Thatcher's husband said to the guys, "You've done well lads, but you've failed in one respect - you let one of the *text deleted**text deleted**text deleted**s live!"

T

tricky123

Ever been to Hereford.....eery one is in the SAS there. Didnt realise there were so many in the Cor.

No seriously i have interesting story, once years and years ago i was on my way back to Hereford (i was living there) and as quite often happens in the winter i got stuck at Worcster forgate. There was a coach service put on, but it would take a hour.

So i decided id get a taxi, a lad that was on the station at the same time had the same idea and tried to get in the same cab. Any way....we decided to get the same taxi.

After about 3 miles i tried ot make conversation but this guy wasnt to up for it, but he reluctanly talked to me. We got to Hereford, and i offered him to go for a drink. He said "na i got to go back to work"....i asked him were he worked. And he just said, "oh up on the blck mountains". Me being sharp and nosey i said "on the camp". He just smiled and said yes mate.

As we pulled to the station he said to the cabby. "Drop him off here if thats ok, im to Creden Hill".

Should have told the taxi driver to pull over and told the SAS guy to start jogging, after all that's what all the money time and resources used on his selection and training is for right? Im sure his superiors wouldn't have been too happy to find out was in a taxi.
Kiddin *text deleted* that would of been an experience :cool:

MS

maophia

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Should have told the taxi driver to pull over and told the SAS guy to start jogging, after all that's what all the money time and resources used on his selection and training is for right? Im sure his superiors wouldn't have been too happy to find out was in a taxi.
Kiddin *text deleted* that would of been an experience :cool:

MS

I highly doubt young stacka would have lived to tell the tale if had told the SAS soldier to start jogging. I sure as hell wouldn't have *text deleted*!

Anyway why were some of the soldiers faces blurred out and some not? the dude with the quality moustache I have seen before on the "SAS: are you tough enough" show.

Stacka

Army Commando
Reaction score
I highly doubt young stacka would have lived to tell the tale if had told the SAS soldier to start jogging. I sure as hell wouldn't have *text deleted*!

I wish i was young, im having a old day today.

maophia

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Wont ask your age? but I'm turning 23 soon and I feel old sometimes.

maophia

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
sorry I will get my coat!:embarrest:

As they say age and experience are no match for the young and the brash!

RC

Reaction score
Put it this way im going bald

Join the club ... I've been going bald since I was about 19 (28 now). Been shaving it with a razor since about 21 ... wouldn't have it any other way now !

Rich.

PaddyTheManc

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score

Anyway why were some of the soldiers faces blurred out and some not? the dude with the quality moustache I have seen before on the "SAS: are you tough enough" show.

I may be wrong, but after you finish your servicxe in the sas/abs the official secrets act continues for 20 years after, so stands to reason that the blurred faces must have quit less than 20 years ago.

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
I may be wrong, but after you finish your servicxe in the sas/abs the official secrets act continues for 20 years after, so stands to reason that the blurred faces must have quit less than 20 years ago.

I thought it was 5 years,
and I thought Andy McNab couldn't show his face because of something to do with the IRA.