Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

SAS reprimand

Discussion in 'Military News and Clips' started by Polo, Feb 3, 2019.

1. westy

westy Well-Known Member

I did say I woman would win!! ;) Although the one doing really well actually seems to be doing well and is ballsy

• Seen Seen x 1
  2. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

The first series was good, they should’ve left it there after that! Although I do enjoy it. This series has been about peoples side story to their lives and less about their abilities. Ant Middleton next venture is to replace Jeremy Kyle!!

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Rover

Rover Moderator

:cool:
    Had forgotten about them, perhaps shows how impressed I was.-banghead-

Would suggest the only three books worth the money being...

First into Action, by 'Duncan Falconer'. :cool:
    The first book that a few others have tried to cash in on.

Zero Six Bravo.by Damien Lewis.:cool:
    Written in response to Herefords slanderous out burst against the SBS.o_O:mad:

SBS. The Inside Story of the SBS, by John Parker:cool:
    A good insight.

Hereford are known for claiming everything for themselves, even to the point of denying any other 'people' were involved.;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. westy

westy Well-Known Member

The one by Jason Fox is actually quite a good read, more about his battle with PTSD!!

Ant Middletons book stops at him passing the endurance march on selection and starts again when he’s in prison :eek:

I’ve got a feeling Ollies books going to be about hitting your break point and how to battle through and around that!!

I do agree though, the other books you have mentioned are very good reads!!

Haven’t seen much of that Tomcat around though ;)

5. Kalashnikov30

Kalashnikov30 New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Just to play devils advocate, and I’m sure your feelings are different on this matter due to having actually walked the walk, I do feel like there are positives to former SF operators gaining more publicity and fame - especially on social media.

Thanks to Instagram and Twitter, it’s now possible for people to be catapulted into fame for trivial reasons. These airheads who promote harmful messages and are symbols of everything wrong with our society are the ones whom today’s children spend the most time looking at and listening to every time they turn on their phones and iPads. Is it such a bad thing that instead of idolising rappers and drug dealers, young lads can now follow and be inspired by ex-SBS/SAS soldiers - men who’ve dedicated their lives to keeping us safe?

It’s definitely painful seeing these guys becoming walking billboards appearing on daytime tv, but if I had a daughter I would rather she looked up to someone like Ant Middleton than Kim Kardashian.

Times are changing, and perhaps our heroes could better serve the country by providing role models for the youth, rather than remaining cloaked in secrecy as per tradition. Would be interested to hear the opinions of those serving or those who have.

P.S. currently reading John Parker’s book - awesome read.

• Like Like x 1
    • Seen Seen x 1
  6. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Social media in the Forces is cringy embarrassing and dangerous. It encourages people to flaunt PERSEC, and even compromise OPSEC. When I was in the Middle East, some of our lads families were getting phone calls and threats from people, we weren’t the first and won’t be the last to have it happen.

Run/fitness apps giving away base locations, and family homes, and social media not just giving away photographs but patterns of life, family members, social circles and places they frequent.

Not too long ago a lad had his head cut off in London for wearing a H4H hoodie, and they had been doing Recce’s. And I have no doubt the wrong people have tried to gather information.

Ant Middleton is a gobby pr1ck.

They have to remain in secret because of the nature of the job. Half the reason Mcstab still covers his face is because of the work he did in Northern Ireland with 14int. It’s not just him but it’s who he connects too, the lads and women who have worked with, been in touch, or involved with professionally that get put at risk. They operate for “missions” above the normal squaddie, they are deniable and work without the constraints of political strings.

It’s bad enough seeing the official pages of the Forces, who completely disregard the PERSEC of the people they post, without their knowledge or consent, which could put people at risk. Not just from an SF perspective, but witness protection, Government work, political work, volunteer work or working in foreign Countries for various industries.
    Let alone seeing the various civvies/serving sprogs who make these pages for the “likes” and again have no idea about who or what they are posting about.

Plus, how would you feel to work with blokes and worry about what they are going to say in a book or what they will write about or how you come off or how they portray you. Or if you die and your family reads it? Mcnab and Ryan both came off looking like absolute throbbers by the way they described certain members of the patrols. So it’s arguable that it breaks down that unit cohesion and the “brotherhood” mentality.

If you want to go and see what SF is like, then join up, and go for selection.

You don’t see half as many people whinging and bitching about the French Foreign Legion and it’s still cloaked in a bit mystic and yet lads still get drawn to it.

• Like x 2
    • Nailed It x 2
    • Gen Dit x 1
    • Hoofin x 1
    • Gucci Info x 1
  7. Kalashnikov30

Kalashnikov30 New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Solid points, can’t argue with that. By the sounds of it it’s surprising that there aren’t more attacks on people who openly admit to serving Afghanistan, especially with the current state of Britain.

• Seen Seen x 1
  8. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    That the main stream media won’t report on, and there’s been numerous attacks stopped by the security forces.
    There’s plenty of attacks on indigenous Europeans by “refugees” that the media don’t report:

• Like Like x 1
  9. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

The minute you place former SF soldiers as potential “role models” then PR and media people get involved, then everything gets twisted and used for someone else’s agenda! There is a reason why the government never comments on SF activity! :confused: It’s to protect everyone’s interests!

Whilst there is no one who loves any military themed telly more than me, as a civvie, I can watch from my armchair and take it with a pinch of salt!!

However I do think that in time SF telly, Books, media glorification twitter pages etc will probably do more harm than good. One of the cornerstones of SF operations is of a covert and secret nature! Avoidance of the limelight and getting the job done quietly! With minimal fuss!

I think we are maybe getting to point where people think they can go on telly for 2 weeks, do a couple of tabs and take a few Beastings then call themselves an “operator”-banghead-

Whilst I do amit to enjoying the programme, the biggest part of me thinks the wider SF community would rather avoid the attention and be left alone to go about their business?? Not that I have any experience in the matter!!

• Like Like x 4
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  10. westy

westy Well-Known Member

But yet Ant Middleton does a lot of work with the RM cadets so it’s not all bad I suppose

• Seen Seen x 1
  11. rkec

rkec New Member

You appear to be right. The lad in question says that there was equipment failure on the abseil drop. The chap has an impeccable character record so don't see him lying. He said the same as you, he'd be off that course if it was his fault.

Channel 4 and others continuing to publicly let him take the blame for that is pretty bad. It was filmed many months ago and Channel 4 still posting tweets about him being untrustworthy.

Channel 4 documentaries aren't exactly trustworthy as we all know from Commando School.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1