SAS Reserves

Oz22

Reaction score
Didn't know until a while back that you can join the SAS Reserves from civi street, its 12 months training (part-time) after that you get badged SAS.
Anyone ever consider attempting it?

Gazza_7

Reaction score
12 months is nowhere near enough training lmaoo. Marines/Paras, etc, have to serve 3 yrs, 4 really if you count RT/P-Coy/basic training ? But for SAS(R) it's a year ? JOKE :blink1:

Gazza_7

Reaction score
All I know is should I ever decide to go for SAS (rather SBS to be honest), I defo wouldn't want a reserve in covering my back if it came to it ! :blink:

M

MTW

thats what the special forces support group do!, the reserves probably just give blowjobs and load up the choppers.

W/\Nnabe

Reaction score
Yea i agree with MTW, u may be labelled 'SAS' but i doubt you will be going on special ops- i think youd probs just be there to support the regulars, is the training really only a year? i spoke to a RM Commando and he says it takes about a year and a half to get the green beret through Royal Marine Reserves

HR

Reaction score
thats what the special forces support group do!, the reserves probably just give blowjobs and load up the choppers.
Grewing beat me to it. That is an absolutely disgraceful comment to make especially from someone who has little to no military experience. Go and say that to the parents of those three SAS reserve lads who died, but hey its easy to say things from behind a computer screen isnt it?

Stacka

Army Commando
Reaction score
Agreed, another bull*text deleted**text deleted* comment from a child. The guys at Lympstone are going to have a field day.

J

Jason_A

Absolutely disgrace. The lack of respect from Gaz, MTW, Pendo, ect. How dare you guys say something like that, when you haven't even served yourself? Then men were reserves, living normal civillians lives, yet they risked their own lives to save others'. That's courage! And also very noble. To be quite honest, you three don't have any -- just sitting behind your computer saying petty little comments all the time. Grow-up, get some respect and get a life!

W/\Nnabe

Reaction score
*text deleted* people when i said i agree with MTW i didnt mean about the 'blowjob' bit i meant his first comment... im joining the RM Reserves! i know its not the full thing, but i still do all the training the regulars do and still do the same 2 week commando course! and once i have my green beret i will be tranferring over to full time!

and i read about the 4 SAS reserves that were killed! very sad story!

W/\Nnabe

Reaction score
and another thing! reserves do just as hard a job as regulars! in some cases the reserves are better than regulars... of what *text deleted* read the Navy reserves do a bigger job than those of regulars, but im not saying anything, respect for anyone joining regulars or reserves!

HR

Reaction score
How was that a lack of respect? I never slated the job they do, I never slated anyone in the SAS(R). I never labelled them walts. I merely stated that I don't think it's right that their regular counterparts have to serve their time to be in the SAS but civilians with no military experience can just walk straight into one of the planets most prestigious units. Sure, if they can pass the selection then bloody hell I'd shake their hands. Its not the people I'm criticizing, merely the selection. So take your band wagon and *text deleted* off!
Firstly there is no time that regulars have to serve before applying for selection they could do it from the day they pass out if they wanted to its just that it will be unlikely they will pass selection without any experience as a soldier.

Secondly the people joining the SAS reserves have to juggle UKSF(r) selection around their civvie lives, and without the benefit of years of military experience unlike their regular counterparts (those who arent ex - forces anyway). Both of which makes passing UKSF(r) selection an unbelieveable achievement.

Thirdly no one has any right to critisise the selection until they have done the course.

Oz22

Reaction score
The Selection process for the SAS Reserves is 12 months long, after that you begin continuation training which lasts a further year. The 12 months initially is to push men to there limits, carrying heavy bergens weighing up to 80lbs or more and covering anything between 25 and 40 miles. You are given set times to complete every tab (tab meaning yomp).
The training takes place in the Brecon Beacons and most tabs are done on your own day or night so you have to be exceptional at navigating.
Escape and Evasion takes place later in training if you make it that far, this consists of being dropped of in the Brecon Beacons on your own and being hunted by Para's, Marines or Gurkhas for a few days. If you make it through all of this you deserve to wear the Sand Beret of the SAS.

Out of 125 guys who turn up for Selection for the SAS Reserves less than 10% pass.

Oz22

Reaction score
Also a comment was made regarding the use of the SAS Reserves, since the beginning of the Iraq war the SAS R have been used many times in Iraq and Afghanistan often working along side there regular counterparts.
An American commander commented recently about the SAS R and how much they have achieved in the Afghan mountains hunting Al Quida.

Ty

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yea, Im pretty sure the SBS is a continued course after the SAS has been completed. At that point they teach you mostly all underwater expertise, similar to the Navy SEALS.

robigunner88

Reaction score
Chris Ryan was initally in the TA SAS which im guessing is the same as the reserves. He was apart of 23 SAS for a couple of years before then going onto join 22 SAS.
Also I believe he passed selection for 23 SAS a number of times as he was originally too young to go on and complete test week.

Oz22

Reaction score
Thats right Robbi, Bear Grylls also served in the SAS Reserves.

a flying dodo

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Right so if you can join the reserves without previous military experience but not the regulars. Could you not pass otu as a reserve and then transfer into regulars?