SAS

cliffhanger

Reaction score
Hey,
I was asked,by a school friend today, wether RM can go for SAS selection or wether they're limited to SBS only, and I just don't know the answer! Perhaps someone can help me out?

Thanks

Ulick

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
AH...doesn't really matter now does it?.....they can go both now...joint service and all that, but meh, none of us are there so moot point :?

jamie.english

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yeh any services in the UK can go SAS.

But I heard the tests are about 1000 times worse than the 32 weeks.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Initial UKSF Selection, to the best of my knowledge, is the same for SAS & SBS and both are open to all 3 services. A lot of people fail to appreciate that it's not just fitness that is required but a comprehensive understanding of fieldcraft skills.

When the reality of Commando Recruit Training kicks-in, many with aspirations to achieve UKSF status, have a serious re-think.

Rob

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I heard that after your 32 weeks training at Lympstone you should already be fit enough to complete UKSF training. Is this true?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
It's a bit of a subjective one Rob, but despite the fitness aspect, I'd imagine there would be a distinct lack of practical experience in order to both pass selection & begin training at that early stage of a Royal Marine's career. It is far more likely the individual would apply after being in the Corps a few years.

Ulick

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
What NS said, John Macaleese (the guy on the balcony) said in a tv programme, that quite a few of the guys who turn up for selection, don't know what they are getting in for, not that it's so hard it's impossible, otherwise no one would pass, but guys turning up, not fit/or the first bad weather they give up because they've never experienced it coming from some trade/desk job, getting bored and deciding they want "action", and not the Paras/RM whatever, then you get guys injured and thats considered a fail too,
it's been mentioned by some people on other forums who'd have a good idea that the pass rate has gone up due to better preparedness/information given, something around the 20%+ mark now...anyhow I'm rambling :eek:ops:

Ulick

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Alsoa lot of guys join up maybe thinking about being in the SBS or whatever, then they find out that they want to be a chef ect strange but true....people just find the job's they like, doesn't have to be big or flashy, just something you enjoy

Ty

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Even a lot of people that join the RM's in hopes of becoming SBS or SAS. However later are completely happy just being an RM. Thats enough work as it is.

A friend of mine that became an RM said he worked with an ex SAS before, they did bodyguard work. He said he was the fattest, and laziest idiot he had ever met, and it changed his entire perspective about them.

GEORGE90

Reaction score
yeppp all the replys are right, a marine can apply to the SAS if he has cmpleted commando training fully and has served for at least 3 years. Or the SBS (special boat service) which is basicaly the same thing, you can train for after 1 1/2 years serving in the marines. There both just as hard o get in and much much harder than the 32 weeks :shock:

Ulick

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
If any guy want's it, he'll do it, it's just that alot of guys join up expecting to go straight through into UKSF and be kicking down embassy doors and it really is not like that, and they find their interest broaden into different things and SF is then not so "cool" anymore, plus there are many other interesting careers, you can do, it's a wide world in the military don't just ridgedly stick to one goal because you've read a few books*

*these are not my first hand expereinces just guys I know here :)

anyhow don't a lot of guys from the RM go do a few years in the SB's and then come back to GD, a lot more then in the Army-SAS relationship where guys go do it and then leave the army altogether? that was said to me by a guy I know in the RM's, on his RT his section Corporeal was ex-SBS and so were 2 other NCO training them...thats quality training there, 8)

Ulick

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hmmm, just reading through what I wrote it makes me sound like a smartarse knowitall... :eek:ops: :eek:ops: thats not my intention.

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
From what I have heard from guys Ninja is spot on, yep it's about fitness but a lot more focused on attitude and ability in the field.

With regards are you fit enough after RM training, the answer I have been told is yes. However you have to spend around 3 years in the forces before going for it and it's hard to keep the level of RM training fitness up for 3 years. Even guys in the commando units are not as fit as when they passed out in most cases.

The thing with RM training is that someone is constantly pushing you to improve, from the pti's and your training team, you are getting motivation after motivation from the staff. When going for the UKSF, no one is pushing you to do anything. You either do it or your off selection. That from what I have been told is the main difference. I could never achieve what I did in my time at Lympstone by training on my own, that takes a massive mental ability and you can see the guys that achieve it deserve so much praise and respect.

GW

ICTTech

Reaction score
anyone know out about Special Forces Communicator's? i know its a slightly different selection coarse?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
*text deleted*, no.

I'd be a bit wary of those professing to have an in-depth knowledge in this field- if ever there was a thread to entice wannabe's & those who are a few fries short of a kiddies meal, this is the one!

greenlid

Reaction score
Alright guys,

I have by no means do any of this stuff, however, I did go along to a briefing night on joing 21 SAS (Reserve). If you go to http://www.army.mod.uk/uksf/index.htm although slightly different this will give you a rough idea on the UKSF. Do not underestimate the the standards required, I was told that if I couldn't run 10 miles in under an hour I shouldn't even apply, because I probaply wouldn't get passed the first weekend. Don't mean to sound like a walt, just telling you what I know.

Cheers

Alex

Ulick

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Ninja_Stoker said:
*text deleted*, no.

I'd be a bit wary of those professing to have an in-depth knowledge in this field- if ever there was a thread to entice wannabe's & those who are a few fries short of a kiddies meal, this is the one!
I thinks there was a thread on ARRSE about it, or MFAT can't remember, but NS is right, we're all newbs we wouldn't know :*text deleted*:

Ulick

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
greenlid said:
Alright guys,

I have by no means do any of this stuff, however, I did go along to a briefing night on joing 21 SAS (Reserve). If you go to http://www.army.mod.uk/uksf/index.htm although slightly different this will give you a rough idea on the UKSF. Do not underestimate the the standards required, I was told that if I couldn't run 10 miles in under an hour I shouldn't even apply, because I probaply wouldn't get passed the first weekend. Don't mean to sound like a walt, just telling you what I know.

Cheers

Alex
Thats close to the WR for the distence...I know it's tough but they want that kind of level? :*text deleted*:

RC

Reaction score
greenlid said:
Alright guys,

Cheers

Alex
Alright Mate,

I'm not disputing the fact that this is what the DS have told you this, but, 10 miles in an hour is a very fast time. To get to that level, *text deleted*, most people would have to:

1) Almost completely focus on running fop a long period of time. This would mean neglecting Tabbing/yomping which is the focus of selection.

2) Be built like a whippet.

3) Have some degree of natural ability (although debatable).

Just after we passed out (RMR), our troop was given a 'recruiting' lecture by the SBS (R), which unfortunately I missed. However, after speaking to several of the lads, the impression I got was that selection was progressive and that most of the troop shouldn't (in theory) be too far from the standard required to attempt selection. Don't get me wrong, the impression I got was that selection would be extremly difficult. However, I find it very unlikely that being able to run at that pace is a requirement. Being able to run at that pace doesn't nessasarily mean you would be able to complete the marches.

By the way, I'm not claiming to be all clued up on selection. The above is simply my opinion ( I thought I'd give it anyway :*text deleted*: ) based on the impression I got from the lads - I could be completely wrong ???

I think the DS may have intentionally given you the impression that running 10 miles in an hour was a requirement to weed out all but the most determined lads, and to prevent the course being under estimated ???

Rich.

greenlid

Reaction score
Could be fellas. I would consider myself a good runner, I can run 10 miles in around 64 mins, but im built like a fking stick insect. So yeah I don't thing its possible for some of these blokes who are 14-15 stone to be running at that sort of pace. But this is the Regiment, I COULD BE WRONG :?