Sauna/steam rooms

Reaction score
I am just wondering if the commando units have saunas/steam rooms at the bases? Or would you have to go to a commercial gym for something like that?

Thanks

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Funnily enough, the senior rates mess at HMS Cochrane (Rosyth) used to have a sauna/steam room which, as a firefighting instructor, was pretty much used daily - firstly to warm yourself after a day spent soaked-through and secondly to loosen the oily soot prior to having a shower.

GetSome92

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Faslane has a sauna next to the pool, It always had a “maintenance issue” though.

Duality

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
All our plants at work used to have saunas to sweat the nasty chemicals out. Unfortunately, people going for a wizz in the water bucket as a wee joke for the next shift got them swapped for steam rooms.

Reaction score
I’m surprised nobody has made the joke yet.....so I’m going to...

Have you considered a career in the RAF?
saunas help clear the body of toxins, they release heat shock proteins that boost your immune system, improves cardio health and prevents muscle atrophy amongst several other benefits

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
It’s also widely used for acclimatisation for arid environments. I am sure lads from the north aspiring to join 40 Cdo would love it. :)
I actually really miss not having access to one due to Covid. After a hard training session it’s nice to just chill as well as doing hot and cold to get that blood flowing.