Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

SBS - Age cutoff?

Discussion in 'RMR Section and RMR Selection' started by Cornbread, May 5, 2016.

1. westy

westy Well-Known Member

Is SBS(R) still part of UKSF?

2. R4Robotics

R4Robotics Spectator

When I last heard SBS(R) was still part of UKSF, where as I believe 21(R) was no longer under that umbrella.

• Like Like x 2
  3. corvus

corvus Member

21 and 23 left UKSF and are now part of 1st intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance brigade as a result of Army 2020 restructuring.

• Gucci Info Gucci Info x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Canzmanz

Canzmanz Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Does that mean the selection has changed?

5. westy

westy Well-Known Member

No.

6. Billyboy114

Billyboy114 New Member

What your saying is true but its more applicable for the regs, for example I know a few guys from my unit who have cracked the hills but then gone onto the jungle phase only to fail because the training team didnt like the look of them. Where as SBSR you dont do the jungle, which apparently is harder than hills...but I haven't done either so cant comment fully on that, only dits *text deleted* heard.

After passing hills you do a few courses as well as SERE training, which is a two week course, after which you are badged.

• Like Like x 1
  7. westy

westy Well-Known Member

On armynet, it states theres 1,2 and 3 weeks courses for SBS(R). I wonder what they are?

8. Rover

Rover Moderator

Billyboy,

What is your unit then?

Westy,

I expect SBS(R) are also wondering.

• Seen Seen x 1
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2016
  9. westy

westy Well-Known Member

@Rover, I hope this pic works!! Its a first attmept from me haha.

This is where I read it from. But I openly admit I'm clueless :D

Attached Files:

10. Billyboy114

Billyboy114 New Member

For the sake of anonymity I couldn't possibly comment!

Just because your RMR doesn't mean you cant do the regular selection though.

Westy, if your not going to join why do you care?

11. Rover

Rover Moderator

What an odd answer.

The reason I asked about your unit, is in response to the statement;

You mention "a few guys from my unit", which by all accounts refers to a regular unit. Hence the question.

I like the part "only to fail because the training team didnt like the look of them". A common excuse.

Westy,

Thanks for that.
    Interesting it is all from an 'official' Army recruiting site.

Would seem to conflict with the MOD site.

http://www.army.mod.uk/specialforces/30604.aspx

I draw your attention to the final paragraph;

Information and Literature Disclaimer
    Information and literature regarding the unit courses is not commercially available, we do not support or encourage sites and or books purporting to give advice as to how to pass selection. Volunteers will be given authentic advice on application and during the induction periods.

12. Billyboy114

Billyboy114 New Member

Rover, no I'm not regular I'm RMR, but some ranks from my RMR det tried the regular selection but failed. Had they taken reserve selection they would have passed as the part they failed on was the jungle (as reservists don't do jungle unless they do regs selection).

Well you have to admit, if you can pass hills then get failed on the jungle I'd say its a pretty strange way to go!

13. Rover

Rover Moderator

No. The Jungle phase is a totally different mind-set to going over the ‘hills’. Tends to have a high failure rate. Nothing to do with the DS not liking the look of a person.

Those that fail SF selection can come out with various excuses on returning to their parent unit.-banghead-

Not all you hear or read on some websites is necessarily the truth.

For RMR not to be ‘Jungle Trained’ starts to limit their deploy ability.

Interestingly some RMR websites even refer to Jungle training!o_O Even Ghana being named as one location.;)

14. Billyboy114

Billyboy114 New Member

Well whatever their excuse they've done well to do the hills! Some RMR ranks I know have done jungle training, there was a big RMR ex back in 2005 (Belize I believe), but I think since then its been talked about but never happened. Some RMR ranks get to do regular attachments to jungle if you can take 6 weeks off work and get lucky

15. Shadow Frog

Shadow Frog Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Out of curiosity, what Regiment you with?

16. Billyboy114

Billyboy114 New Member

I'm RMR mate

• Like Like x 1
  17. Coolrunnings999

Coolrunnings999 New Member

Did anyone ever get to the bottom of this? Is it 32 or 34? The army site says:

'UKSF(R) accept male volunteers who have no previous military service aged 18 to 32 or male volunteers who have had previous military service with any part of the Regular or Reserve Armed Forces (RN, RM, Army, and RAF) up to the age of 34.'

Is 34 only for former regulars when it comes to the SBS?

18. cc1

cc1 (former RM)

I'm going to guess it's entry by the age of 32 if you're a civvy and 34 if you have previous military service... Where's the confusion?

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
  19. Coolrunnings999

Coolrunnings999 New Member

By definition every SBS(r) will have previous military experience as you can only apply from a reserve force, not from civvy street.

• Like Like x 1
  20. cc1

cc1 (former RM)

Ok, so where's the confusion? If you're in the SBS(R) you're not going to be bothered by the age limits... If you're in the reserves - it's 34.