SBS eyesight requirements

amnosity

Reaction score
Hello

I really need to know if it possible to join the
SBS if you wear glasses or contacts? If not can you join if you get Lasik or other allowed eye surgeries? (i know you need to be 22 before you can get lasik)

Im VA2 eyesight.

This would mean the world to me if it gets answered. I cannot stop stressing about this as it is my dream to join the SBS. I know how hard it is to get into the SBS i know i should focus on getting into the RM first but i just need to know if it is even possible for me to even join UKSF.

Thank you

THOR

Reaction score

According to this VA3

I think they feed you lots of carrots once in Poole to give you the night vision. Although I have heard something about the use of goggles also.

Reserve

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
EYE STANDARDS AND LASER EYE SURGERY

SAS and SBS candidates may use contact lenses to correct their visual acuity from E3 to E1. Spectacles are not permitted. SRR and 18 (UKSF) Sig Regt candidates may use contact lenses or spectacles to achieve the same correction. In line with MoD policy those who have undergone refractive surgery, including laser surgery may be accepted provided they have been assessed by a Defence Consultant Ophthalmologist who confirms they are “Fit for UKSF Selection” with respect to their refractive surgery.
The following methods of surgical correction may be considered on a case by case basis:

a. Photorefractive keratectomy (PRK)/ Laser epithelial keratomileusis (LASEK).

b. Laser-in-situ keratomileusis (LASIK).

c. Intrastromal corneal rings (ICRs), otherwise known as intrastromal corneal segments (ICSs).

Radial keratotomy(RK), or astigmatic keratotomy, or any other forms of intrusive refractive surgery, not listed above are not acceptable. Similarly all invasive intra-ocular surgical procedures are not acceptable.

amnosity

Reaction score
What if im E4 or E5 and get the Laser surgery. Would i still be able to apply. Or do i need to be atleast E3 before the surgery?

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
Be very carefull with the above " guidelines" as they are that only, - guidelines- they are outweighed by Medical policy and in this case they do not marry up!! If under 21 and having eye surgery for nearly any nature renders you unfit for either a prescribed period of time or until age 21 minimum.

Johnny_Anonie

Reaction score
Also probably worth pointing out that standards for serving personnel attending certain courses are different than medical standards for entry.

Reserve

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Thank you Guide.

Information was extracted from the relevant MAB DIN. This relates to both regular and reserve medical entry requirements for UKSF. This is not relating to Eyes pre-entry via annex A JSP 950.

In line with MoD policy those who have undergone refractive surgery, including laser surgery may be accepted to attend a briefing course provided they have been assessed by a defence Consultant Ophthalmologist and obtain a report. For pre entry criteria refer to the JSP 950 and heed the sage advice from Guide.