SBS get critisized by SAS

Ulick

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
If you read books written by former SAS or SBS guys, you'll see this sort of slagging of the opposite unit goes back decades and it probably will go on into the future

I do find it funny though that the SBS can't fight on land, although most of it's guys are RM's...ironic :wink:

Ty

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I was under the impression that you become an SAS agent, and then go forward with training to become SBS. I guess Im mistaken.

edd91

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Well looking at both the SAS and SBS selection process there about the same ish from scanning the SAS and reading the SBS.

Bit random like, but stage 5 combat survival looks the best bit, i'm not saying easy are fun with conditions and stuff and been on your own but, you got to avoide been captured by soldiers, which are usually Marines or Paras, hunted by your own breed :cry: then you get tortured when you get caught and if you speak what your not meant to, you've failed, all fun aye :twisted: :shock:.

Ulick

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
edd91 said:
Well looking at both the SAS and SBS selection process there about the same ish from scanning the SAS and reading the SBS.

Bit random like, but stage 5 combat survival looks the best bit, i'm not saying easy are fun with conditions and stuff and been on your own but, you got to avoide been captured by soldiers, which are usually Marines or Paras, hunted by your own breed :cry: then you get tortured when you get caught and if you speak what your not meant to, you've failed, all fun aye :twisted: :shock:.
They apprently stopped (don't know if it's true) all the nasty bits of selection...not the hard bits but the..unpleasent stuff and all that now, no more handcuffing guys to the railway track and pretending a trains coming, no more of the "sheep dip" :( they have even again apprently "eased" the times on the route marches, instead of the rigid time you get there before it or fail, they now are more lenient and look for effort so if you miss a time but the DS think your giving it your all, they can pass you, it was something they brought in to help with numbers...according to the papers, so take it with a grain of sailt :wink:

Ulick

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Feel like a big girly walt now :eek:ops: :eek:ops:

edd91

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Papers aye hmmmmm i think without these people would have alot more correct information, but on the other hand no page 3 :cry: :evil:.

This is where i get the info from http://www.specialboatservice.co.uk/sbs-selection.htm duno bout SAS though just grabbed it from somewhere randomly, but i duno when this page was last updated, but at the top it says 90% failure rate but not sure, quite good site to get info on them though suppose.

Edit: Tortured woops am a right idiot a mean interrotgated :eek:ops:

Jas

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
edd91 said:
Papers aye hmmmmm i think without these people would have alot more correct information, but on the other hand no page 3 :cry: :evil:.

This is where i get the info from http://www.specialboatservice.co.uk/sbs-selection.htm, duno bout SAS though just grabbed it from somewhere randomly, but i duno when this page was last updated, but at the top it says 90% failure rate but not sure, quite good site to get info on them though suppose.

Edit: Tortured woops am a right idiot a mean interrotgated :eek:ops:
Might want to edit the comma off the end of that link ;)

Shiloh79

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Ty said:
I was under the impression that you become an SAS agent, and then go forward with training to become SBS. I guess Im mistaken.
HI Ty,

I posted this before about a similar topic about SAS/SBS -

If you want to go special forces, first you must have current military experience & served at least 2yrs before you can apply to take part in the UK special forces selection tests (This is now open to any branch of the services) which you must pass obvisouly ... At the start off the UKSFST you identify whether your opting for SAS or SBS, upon completion of the UKSFST if you opted for SAS then you earn your sand coloured beret or if you opted for SBS at the start of the course then you must undergo further training at Poole, Dorset to go SBS.

Check this link out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_Special_Forces_Selection

Check the link out as it'll give you more info if unsure whats in volved.

Rob

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone know how many people are in the SBS and SAS?

Ulick

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
edd91 said:
What does classifed mean :*text deleted*:
:eek:ops: ....we fed a school class?.....yah that'll work

slips away into the night

edd91

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
O yea and erm Rob what does cannelled mean, think thats all i can see :*text deleted*: :mrgreen: I'll probs get raped when i make a mistake but meh, it will never happen i'm a keyboard warrior 8) :twisted:

Gareth

Reaction score
I do believe UKSF Selection is the hardest course anywere. Especially the welsh phase, in the brecons an all that :). I think anyone who has read about it, nevermind done it would admit this.

bennyd89

Reaction score
I do believe UKSF Selection is the hardest course anywere. Especially the welsh phase, in the brecons an all that :). I think anyone who has read about it, nevermind done it would admit this.
Ever heard of the turkish SF called maroon berets? It takes 3 1/2 years to pass the course and they are trained in absolute everything.

BGarcia89

Reaction score
I'm willing to bet the SBS are just as capable at fighting on land as the SAS and the SAS are probably quite good at on ship operations and so forth, they do have a 'boat troop' after all.
Some missions just go tits up and in the comptetive world of the Army and RM that results in the one's that didn't make the mistake sprouting off and making a big deal of it.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
The original item goes back to 2004 & the criticism supposedly surrounds an instance whereby the SBS allegedly abandoned vehicles in Iraq which were subsequently paraded on local TV at the time.

It is extremely unlikely that a genuine SAS trooper would make such allegations in the press, hence the fact there was no counter-argument, nor confirmation from any quarter.

It was far more likely an uniformed yet gobby individual who visited the area of operations after the event decided to take his pieces of gold from the hacks.

I think you'll find the original item has been withdrawn if you check the initial link that started the thread.

Aussie89

Reaction score
The original item goes back to 2004 & the criticism supposedly surrounds an instance whereby the SBS allegedly abandoned vehicles in Iraq which were subsequently paraded on local TV at the time.

It is extremely unlikely that a genuine SAS trooper would make such allegations in the press, hence the fact there was no counter-argument, nor confirmation from any quarter.

It was far more likely an uniformed yet gobby individual who visited the area of operations after the event decided to take his pieces of gold from the hacks.

I think you'll find the original item has been withdrawn if you check the initial link that started the thread.
yea when i clicked it it didnt work so im pretty sure it has been removed

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B SBS General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat 4
R SBS (R) General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat 0
A SBS reserve RMR Section and RMR Selection 2