SBS......The early years.

Rover

Reaction score
For those who can only relate to the SBS as Operation Frankton, I would recommend the following two books........

Raiders from the Sea, the story of the SBS in WWII.

By John Lodwick.

Special Boat Squadron.

By Barri Pitt.

Both worth a read.

Collieryboy

Reaction score
If anyone has amazon prime. You can read Special Boat Squadron for free with prime unlimited.

Chelonian

Reaction score
Now changed to "By Strength and Guile".
At first glance it appears to be a subtly elegant update or 'refresh' of a motto as the marketing wonks like to say. But tinkering with mottos is a sensitive issue. I suspect that not everyone was pleased by the change.

TheRents

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Preferred the original, seemed more in keeping with small unit covert ops and the ethos of the Corps, from whom they were almost exclusively drawn before the whole SF umbrella thing.

Chelonian

Reaction score
Preferred the original, seemed more in keeping with small unit covert ops and the ethos of the Corps, from whom they were almost exclusively drawn before the whole SF umbrella thing.
Agreed. And also that SBS was under-funded, under-resourced and yet what did what it did.

Additionally, I guess that someone who was very 'up close and personal' to the original motto might have had a hand in composing it.

CallMeLucifer

Reaction score
Besides, strength is for the infantry, artillery, armoured, and air-force. Special forces are there to make sure they are hitting where they are meant to be hitting.

Rover

Reaction score
Besides, strength is for the infantry, artillery, armoured, and air-force. Special forces are there to make sure they are hitting where they are meant to be hitting.
Maximum damage using minimum force.o_O;)