Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Scheduling Vaccinations during Basic Training

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by Trooper149, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Trooper149

Trooper149 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I know this is a sensitive topic for many out there due to the quackery that you get on the internet these days.

In short, I don't have all the vaccinations required for service currently. After speaking with a couple doctors both within and outside the NHS, I've been informed that the best way to ensure optimal immunity is to space each vaccine about 4 weeks apart. I've got about several vaccines to get through. With this said, I'd probably continue getting vaccinated into the basic training (I am currently in the medical process awaiting face to face medical). During Basic Training at Lympstone, is it possible to book yourself in for vaccinations or would I need to do that with my registered GP?

Appreciate any further information.

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

You will routinely have vaccinations when you join. There is no requirement or expectation to get them prior to joining and to avoid duplication, those joining the service are advised to bring a copy of their inoculation /vaccination history when they join.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Trooper149

Trooper149 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thanks for the reply. The reason I am taking interest is merely for peace of mind. I've been told both by doctors inside and outside the NHS that having all vaccinations at once can be bad for you, which is what the military tend to do. As such, I am getting my vaccinations done now so I don't have to go through that process.

Not that it is a big deal, I'm just going by what I'm being told + be good to be up to date, pending what happens with my application, I might go abroad.

4. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

@Johnny_Anonie or @The guide might chip in with their opinions if they spot this. :)

I'm not qualified to argue one way or the other but arguments between medical professionals on the topic of multiple vaccinations are common. A dozen credible research arguments against multiple shots online will be countered by the same number of equally credible arguments refuting the notion that approved, multiple shots are less effective or potentially harmful.

5. Trooper149

Trooper149 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Indeed. I can see how in some ways the military and other large organisations have to manage modern media and freedom of information. It is getting to a point where all information that gets published online is formatted in a way that makes it seem credible. That said, if there is debate, then there is usually something that starts it with credible cause.

6. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

A major problem is of course the interpretation of medical research papers and accurate risk assessment. Not only interpretation by the 'the worried well' of the general population but also by medical professionals. Obviously the media have their own agenda when reporting these matters.

7. The guide

The guide Royal Marines Commando

@Trooper149 When you join you records will entered on the Medical system (DMICP) and that in turn will highlight any vaccinations that are required for service , these are spread out over the duration of training taking into account both the training cycle (as some vaccines are live and make you feel rough) and the period required for the vaccination in line with NICE & something known as the green book as used by all British health care and vaccination centers. Some vaccinations can be given in a accelerated course and this method is sometimes used by the military across all 3 services and timelines can be compressed for deployments and so on , even if you do not get the full course most vaccinations offer 70 to 80 % protection against whatever they are for after 2 cycles. There is no need to book yourself in, Med will give you what you need and call you forward when they are needed automatically , indeed they get miffed if you miss them as it shows on their statistics which go to their HQ for checking .!! . All vaccinations are voluntary , but if you decline any it can compromise your deployment status and you will then have to explain when you choose not to have them to your boss , and ultimatly the CO as you have made yourself as useful as a chocolate fireguard if you can,t deploy.!!

• Like Like x 2
  8. Nurse75

Nurse75 Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Hve to but in ....as a nurse i vacci ate children all the time with numerous vaccines at the same time but some do need a set timescale in between like 1 month between MMR doses and if you require more than 1 tetanus needs to be 4 weeks apart. Think there has been some confusion yes you can have numerous vccines at the sametime but if you need more than 1 say tetanus they will spaced apart
    Hope this mke sense

• Like Like x 1
  9. The guide

The guide Royal Marines Commando

The accelerated courses are for vaccines such a Japanese Encephalitis , Anthrax and so on , not the routine vaccines..even MEN ACWY which the RM give can be accelerated.