Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Scholarships

Discussion in 'Introductions & Welcome to the Royal Marines Site' started by Henny, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Henny

Henny New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I'm interested in applying for the Royal Navy scholarship when I turn 16 as I want to join the Royal Marines as an officer, and think that this will be really useful.
    I have a few question about it as the website has little to no info about it...
    1) what is the process
    2) what are the requirements Taht make you eligible
    3)does it let you go to uni or do you join after sixth form.

Any help would be really helpful(please don't feel confined to answering these questions, any more info will be greatly appreciated!)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Welcome. Plenty of information, advice and debate here. Just dive in. :)

3. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

If you're planning to go to university, you can apply for one of the bursary schemes. You'll be known as a Bursar, and remain a civvie whilst studying.

You'll need to spend part of your summer holidays training with the RN and getting to know the Royal Navy or Royal Marines.

There are three types of bursary, two technical bursaries and a standard bursary

Have a read of https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/careers/joining/funding-and-scholarships

Best of luck.

4. MTotman13

MTotman13 New Member

Hey I did the process last year to get into welbeck dsfc for the Royal Marines.

1) the process you will do is essential the selection for a Royal Navy officer. We weren’t required to do a POC due to age. You will however have to do the RT, medical, sift interview and AIB.

Difference for uni bursary is that I believe you so day one of POC to secure the bursary and a full one within a year before you start training.

2) you need to have some specific grades but they’re not unattainable. They’re more interested in how you perform in their assessments than school I think.

3) for a sixth form scholarship you’ll have a contract for entry the September after you finish college. If you get a uni bursary you will have a date for the September after your third year. You must reapply for a uni bursary to go to uni or start after college as agreed or you can pay them back if you get a sixth form scholarship. All of this pending passing a POC within a year of your start date for training.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  5. Henny

Henny New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    This is really helpful. Do you know what part of the POC you do?

6. Henny

Henny New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Also, say you did get the sixth form scholarship, could you apply for the bursary too and go to uni? Thanks :)

7. MTotman13

MTotman13 New Member

For uni bursary I believe you do day one of POC so the RMFA and 1.5 mile runs then a full one in the last year of your course. You do no part of the POC for sixth form scholarship.

You are able to apply for a uni bursary as well if you really want in the second year of sixth form but bear in mind the standards are raised as you’ll be an adult and there’s greater competition . Personally I’d think starting training is more appealing.

8. Henny

Henny New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Yes I'm inclined to agree. As I'm someone who is quite academic and wants a degree, is there opportunities it get a degree in service?

• Seen Seen x 1
  9. MTotman13

MTotman13 New Member

Unfortunately I don’t know about that mate. From reading other posts over the years on here I have the impression they’re few and far between.

10. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

Short answer - yes. You can enrol within the OU while still serving ( you may be able to claim educational allowances to assist). Before doing anything, plan it out. Look at how many modules you can realistically do each year and how they fit into the degree you want. As supportive as the military is, your day job will always have to come first.

11. Henny

Henny New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thanks this is really helpful :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

@Henny Once at a unit an OU course is certainly do-able. But there are practical factors which should be considered. One's boss might be very supportive of Further Education which makes studying opportunities easier. A boss who is less supportive means a bigger sacrifice of personal time to study. This isn't unique to military service; it's general to most jobs.

A personal opinion here: choose an OU course with care. In the wider world one's degree subject does not always have to be closely tied to a career choice. I'd suggest choosing course modules which actually interest you and which are enjoyable. It makes studying much easier that way.

13. Henny

Henny New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thank you :)

14. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Just to add to the useful info above, there are usually around half a dozen RM 6th form scholarships & university bursaries awarded each year.

Decent grades (9,8,7 or A*, A and the odd B in old money) at GCSE and A Level are required.

For those going on to study for a degree as a bursar, you'll become an affiliate member of the nearest URNU usually - there's 14 of them dotted about the UK and you are expected to attend. The URNUs are specifically aimed at undergrads and dovetail nicelly with the academic schedule. They're probably best described as a military university society although technically, members are in the RNR with an honourary Commission (without an AIB - which doesn't always rest easy with some individuals). They're good fun, sociable and give a decent military insight...and money!

Some undergrads elect to join the RMR whilst in Uni, with a few earning their green beret prior to joining the regular service. The downside is the RMR requires a fairly high level of commitment, there's usually little flexibility and time-management skills are essential to ensure your academic grades are achieved.