Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Seamless Transfer for Trained Ranks - Regular Service to RMR

Discussion in 'RMR Section and RMR Selection' started by Ninja_Stoker, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

For trained ranks about to leave the Corps, here's a tip:

Many guys leaving the service have zero intention of joining the Reserves however it does have a lot of genuine benefits & also keeps the "door open" should you wish to re-join the regular service if things don't quite turn-out as planned on the "outside".

If you contact your Unit Personnel Office (UPO), Pay Office or Joint Service Unit BEFORE you leave, you can save yourselves a lot of grief by asking for "Form L005", filling it out and transferring to the Reserves upon leaving the Regular service. It is then pretty much a "paper" exercise with just a short interview with the local RMR Unit. Security Clearance remains valid, discharge medical counts as entry medical, no fitness assessments for entry, no delays - it can be done in a day!

Your local unit accepts you may not necessarily attend that frequently but it is important to give them a call before you leave the Corps to check the lie of the land. Bear in mind, if you meet the minimum annual training/attendance commitment you get between £1-1,500 tax free bounty per year.

If it subsequently turns-out it's not for you, all you need do is write a letter of resignation and submit a months notice to quit. Job done.

If you think: "Hmmn, maybe later, after I've left" then you are making things more difficult than needs be and have to jump through hoops by comparison to the seamless transfer.

If you leave the Corps first then apply to join the RMR after a break in service, you must:

1. Produce Testimonial, Discharge Certificate & Pay Statement
    2. Complete & submit application form (AFCO Form 4), Rehabilitation of Offenders Act & Tattoo proforma.
    3. Sign Consent forms for the release of former service medical records & service records
    4. Wait about four weeks for documents to be retrieved & it will take a further 4 to 6 weeks to gain written "Approval to Process" (ATP)
    5. After ATP is gained, you'll need to undergo Selection Interview, Eye Test, full entry Medical Examination, Pre Joining Fitness Test (PJFT) and gain full Security Clearance before you can be allocated an entry date.

• Like Like x 3
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  2. H01ty

H01ty Active Member

Edit: Recruit not trained rank.

Hi Ninja, for reasons I'd rather not discuss I have had to leave recruit training last week. Because I'm gutted and want to return one day (been given 12 months) I was advised to transfer back into the RMR for now and the UPO at CTC took a note to do an L005 form, saying it would take about 10 days to go through. CTC still formally discharged me from RM with all paperwork but said the L005 would take place during this period.

However, while I've been thinking at home I now want to take a few years away as I have spent nearly 5 years off/on somewhere in the RM or RMR recruitment and training process. I plan to return to CTC in 3-5 years' time after getting some other life experiences as I am still only 21 and know I have time on my side to do so.

How do I go about cancelling the transfer? Is it as simple as ringing the RMR unit and telling them? Or should I wait until it's gone through, I'm called into the RMR for an interview, and request to leave then?

My conditions/reason of discharge from CTC were ET. Would cancelling the transfer or requesting to leave when it goes through possibly change this? As the last thing I want is to be marked DUDT.

Thank you.

3. cc1

cc1 (former RM)

Ring the RMR, the AFCO and CTCRM UPO today and tell them you'd like to cancel your transfer. Waiting for them to process all the paperwork then informing them that it was ultimately pointless will *text deleted* them off no end.

• Like Like x 1
  4. H01ty

H01ty Active Member

Thank you, rang them a few times today to no answer so I'll try once or twice more then try again tomorrow morning.

5. cc1

cc1 (former RM)

I've just amended my original post. I'd also call CTCRM UPO and the local AFCO and check with both of those what your next CoA is.

6. H01ty

H01ty Active Member

Seen, thank you.

7. PotentialBootneck

PotentialBootneck New Member

Anyone know if it’s possible to complete the full 32 weeks in lympstone if you’re joining a reserve unit? Or do you have to stick to the training for RMR?

8. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

I'm not sure as to your reasoning for asking this question. RMR training and RT are completely different programmes. If you wish to join the Reserves then you complete the Reserves programme, however long that is nowadays. If you wish to join the full time service then you complete the full 32 weeks.

The only crossover is leaving the Corps after completing a minimum amount of service after passing out, a former trained rank can join the Reserves. You cannot complete RT then go straight into a RMR unit.

Alan

9. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    The question is, why would you want to do that?

• Nailed It Nailed It x 2
  10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

It is not a recognised route. If you join the regular service & don't wrap at the week 26 juncture you must serve a total of 50 months - the return of service is to recoup the circa £100k per head training costs. Those in the Reserves can submit 28 days notice at any point of service, so there's a flaw in the concept.

That said, there have been people in regular recruit training who have had to leave through circumstances beyond their control (not whilst injured), usually through compassionate grounds, and they have been seamlessly transferred into RMR Recruit Training at an appropriate stage...but the planets have to align with regard the stage of training reached and training reports/recommends achieved.

In short: No.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Omega

Omega Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Are thete any forum members who have succesfully transferred from regular to reserves as a recruit?

12. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

I've read of only one forum user within the past couple of years but I can't recall who it was.

From memory, he left regular RT late in training (not medically discharged) and was permitted to do a seamless transfer to a RMR unit. Also from memory, his circumstances were unusual. If he's still about and reads this hopefully he might comment on his experience.

13. PotentialBootneck

PotentialBootneck New Member

Anyone know what RMR training is like? Is it similar to that of the regulars? Also is the prmc the same?

14. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

This thread probably gives a pointer: https://www.royalmarines.uk/threads/rmr-training-overview-from-start-to-finish.114211/

The difference is RMR recruit training is over a longer period, mainly condensed and conducted at weekends and evenings with longer recovery periods. The Commando Tests are the same, the lead-up differs.

The PRMRC is similar to PRMC but has a significantly higher pass rate, two reasons: RMR recruits are treated to Holding Troop which is essentially like free gym membership with a personal trainer, which helps preparation and conditioning enormously. Secondly, there is the potential to apply more latitude as there's only one intake a year, so minor shortfalls can be addressed and corrected as training progresses, if the individual otherwise appears viable.

15. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    In short. It’s the same, over a much longer time period. Obviously more skillfade and your skillset won’t be to a higher standard but that’s what your continuation training and predeployment training when attached to a regular unit.

PRMC is similar. If I remember correctly RMR Scotland have their own separate PRMC due to logistical reasons, but it’s still the same standards and layout.