second thoughts

Mack15

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Hey everyone

Im having second thoughts on joining up.
I just dont think i really want to do it just yet, im not to sure, and i dont want to risk getting into RT and leave because of not enjoying it.
I want to join the services its somthing im keen on, i just want to get some money in the bank, get some experience and all that.
Im hopefully getting an apprenticeship as a trainee chef, should get a reply on monday.
I would love to join the corp in my future life im just not sure if im confident enough to live up thte challenge anymore.

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Hey everyone

Im having second thoughts on joining up.
I just dont think i really want to do it just yet, im not to sure, and i dont want to risk getting into RT and leave because of not enjoying it.
I want to join the services its somthing im keen on, i just want to get some money in the bank, get some experience and all that.
Im hopefully getting an apprenticeship as a trainee chef, should get a reply on monday.
I would love to join the corp in my future life im just not sure if im confident enough to live up thte challenge anymore.

Perfectly natural to think such things mate don't worry about it - be stupid to think most people currently in didn't have at least one period of thinking about it.
If you feel like you want more life experiance in civvie street then do that - corps wont be going anywhere mate.
And how will you know about failing or leaving if you never go through it, just have a big think on it!

Good luck whatever you decide!

S

Sotiris

How old are you Mack?

If you're a "young-un" it's not such a bad idea to take a step back now. If it's something you really want it'll still be there after you've done whatever you need to do. If it isn't then it may just save you a lot of pain. I would always say to anyone that they should get some qualifications before joining the Corps. It gives you a better grounding and perspective. Also when you join up you'll generally be more mature and physically capable. Not to mention that those "life-experiences" will certainly help your application process...especially for YO. Haha besides, if you do get the job you could train to be a Commando chef in the future!

Mack15

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks skippy i still want to go for it i just have alot of things on my mind like what if i tried in a few years, il be mentally stronger so il have a better chance of getting in.

Mack15

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
How old are you Mack?

If you're a "young-un" it's not such a bad idea to take a step back now. If it's something you really want it'll still be there after you've done whatever you need to do. If it isn't then it may just save you a lot of pain. I would always say to anyone that they should get some qualifications before joining the Corps. It gives you a better grounding and perspective. Also when you join up you'll generally be more mature and physically capable. Not to mention that those "life-experiences" will certainly help your application process...especially for YO. Haha besides, if you do get the job you could train to be a Commando chef in the future!

Im only 16, You right about being physiclly and mentally stronger, but i feel its possible for me to do it though.
I may just be feeling a little unconfident in my self im not sure, ive still got this medical appeal to get through aswell.

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I doubt I would has passed at 16-18 time, I was FAR FAR fitter (uni made me get sick of doing anything), but I wasnt mentally prepared.

Had alot of *text deleted**text deleted* in my life the last year (really bad year, *text deleted**text deleted*ting myself thinking of how to explain this on thursday at interview) but it's got me more prepared..

Mack15

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
hmmm..im just not sure but i still *text deleted* have a crack at it, im just not sure if im *text deleted* be wasting anybodys time.

Geryon

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Think about it before you make any decisions, like give it a week. I must admit i'm thinking about becoming a surgeon, but not sure about the med school 6 years then intern then a year or so of general hospital jobs then 4-6 years of surgical training, but who knows, you need to give it time before making a big decisions is what I'm trying to say. What ever you do good luck.

Mack15

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
hmmm i see what you mean.
Thanks for the help everyone.

aussie

Reaction score
No matter what you do your going to have second thoughts, especially in the military there will be parts you love and parts you hate but at the end of the day you will look back and think that you love it, and plus youve always got your mates there with you to help out. you just dont wana have any regrets later on in life so good luck with whatever you do mate

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Yep I'd agree with the comments above. If you're not ready, you're not ready. Whilst there are people who pass Recruit Training at 16, a fair few fail to make the grade and in many cases they come back when a little older and better prepared- it takes a good deal of maturity if someone can accept they may fare better slightly later in life.

Conversely, as stated above, you can go back to college on £30 per week EMA and become a chef OR you could join the Corps earning £770 per month (for the first 6 months) & train to be a RM chef before you are old enough to deploy AND possibly gain all your driving qualifications for free. A tough call, but those over 18 do tend to be a little better prepared both physically & mentally. Believe me everyone has doubts - I sometimes wonder after 27 years.

Good luck.

Mack15

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks Ninja Stoker for the wise words, i would feel more confident when older and i can do alot in 2 years, I think i will do this apprenticeship and see where that takes me but i know that i always want to be joining the marines.
Thanks everyone.

mugen_power

Reaction score
Yeah mate I know where your coming from, I pretty much did the same when I was 16, didn't know if it was the right choice at that age etc and didn't want to be another guy to jump out of school, join up and waste everyones time.

At that age you havn't really experienced life so I did step back, experienced life outside of school, tried many jobs etc, I'm now 23, 7 years later and I still wanted to join so I definitly knew it was what I wanted to do without question, and now feel I'm at the age where you have the maturity to know what your getting into and the confidence to go through with it, and as said before the physical side of it, your body has stopped developing at this age so you know your in the best shape (albeit my leg isn't anymore but thats another story) to really push hard now.

All the best with what ever you decide fella.

Apologise if none of this makes sense but its 3:11am and I'm really tired haha.

Mack15

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
nah thats ok thanks for the wise words, i think your right aswell.

New Threads