Security Clearance - Did not realise I had a second nationality

Rheebound01

Reaction score
Hi All

Recently submitted my Security Clearance form however I only ended up listing one citizenship - New Zealand (NZ citizen by birth) and only today found out that I may in fact have a second nationality - South Korean (The citizenship laws are very iffy and confusing and my family and I did not think I had SK nationality because I was a NZ citizen by birth). I ended up emailing the Security Clearance (NSV) "Contact Us" email to let them know about all this and having not put it on the form as I was unaware about it until today.

I understand that the Royal Marines would not take anyone with a conscription requirement which has been unfulfilled in their home country (South Korea has mandatory conscription) however would I be okay because New Zealand is my home country (Has been my whole life) and as my AFCO requested, I sent off a letter from the New Zealand Defence Force reinforcing that I do not have any service obligations in my home country (NZ)?

I know that the NZDF were happy to give me a high security clearance but just wanted to make sure that I would be okay for the Royal Marines too. The conscription citizen thing is very confusing and we weren't aware about any of it until today and I know that the very initial online questionnaire asks if I am required to do mandatory service in my HOME COUNTRY which is NZ which I correctly said No to.

Any advice on this one? Will I be okay considering I did end up emailing them about having not putting it on the form and the fact that NZ is my home country where I have lived my entire life?

Mikej85

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
You will proberly need to provide proof from your second nationality that you dont need to complete national service.

Rheebound01

Reaction score
@Mikej85 Yeah, I might need to if they ask for it.

Was thinking I might be fine without it because Korea isnt my home country and under their "Second generation" law I'm okay to visit and such for less than 90 days. I provided proof that my home country (NZ) dont require me to do compulsory service as requested by my AFCO though.

Fingers crossed.

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
You 100% need to let your AFCO know, as if picked up you and a 2nd and not on your forms you will not pass SC simple as that.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Do you hold, or have ever held a S. Korean pasport (including being on a parent's passport when young) ?

If not, then presumably your birth in NZ may have been registered in SK?

Rheebound01

Reaction score
Do you hold, or have ever held a S. Korean pasport (including being on a parent's passport when young) ?

I don't even have a S Korean passport, But apparently I am in the Korean registry. I was born in and have lived in NZ my whole life.

So apparently I can visit Korea for less than 90 days unless I want to service.

My family was unaware I even had Korean nationality/citizenship and so did not renounce my Korean nationality because they didnt know it existed (Its too late apparently so I can only visit Korea for 90 days or less until Im 35 or something now unless I want to do conscription)

Reckon I'd be alright? I let the Security vetting people know about my situation.

However the SK M.O.D would NEVER give a letter saying I dont have to serve (They always outright refuse to do these), BUT the law does state that I am classed as a "Second Generation korean" and therefore do not have to serve unless I report a permanent return (90 days or more) or my parents decide to return to Korea which they dont intend to do.

Last edited:

Rheebound01

Reaction score

Just got off the phone with the embassy here in NZ and they confirmed that I dont have to do conscription unless I intend to stay in South Korea for more than a consecutive 90 days.

Would that make me alright? Would there be any reason to deny me clearance because I cant return to Korean for 90+ straight days? Korea isnt my home country in any regard and I never intend to live there.

They said they would figure out if they could get a letter stating all this but it is information available on the official Korean websites too that I am classed as a second generation Korean.

New Threads