Security Clearance

siener

Reaction score
Hi Gentlemen,

Im wondering if anyone knows the average time for an overseas security clearance to process. I am a british citizen with an NI number but have been living in South Africa for years and have never resided in the uk for more than a few months.

Thanks for the help

blocky

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
hmmm im not to sure so dont take my word for it but, i think it takes 6 weeks to be processed.

ermal

Reaction score
well at the careers office they told me 3 months and I live in england

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Current processing time depends on various factors. Entirely UK Nationality & UK Resident can take between 8-12 weeks.

Overseas UK applicants take longer due the the time taken for overseas security agencies to respond to security checks requested by UK, the record length of time that I'm aware of is 12 months. There's no particular average, but overseas applicants will certainly wait longer than UK based applicants so the moral is to return a correctly completed Security Questionnaire sooner rather than later.

Overseas applicants also need a residency waiver which can take an extra 4 weeks on average. If your country has National Service and you are a Dual National, you will need to provide evidence that you are not liable, similarly South Africans need to carefully study the implications of the SA Mercenary Bill & it's implications if you were to join the UK military.

New Threads