Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Security Clearence - Commenwealth - How long?

Discussion in 'Introductions & Welcome to the Royal Marines Site' started by Ghost123, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Ghost123

Ghost123 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Hi guys. Hoping you can give me a slight indication, just trying to manage what i tell my current employers etc.

Have my PRMC 30th April. Applied for SC two months ago. Still says in progress. I'm a UK resident on a ancestral visa. From South Africa, 26 years old.

Anyone in the same boat and have an idea of how long SC processing times are currently taking for South African applicants?

Do i tell my boss I'm heading to PRMC, pass and have another 4-6 weeks untill RT. Or do i say i have PRMC 30th April, and my SC might only come through in another 4 months? Making it potentially awkward at work.

Appreciate the help.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

SC for some people living overseas can take up to 12 months unfortunately, in some instances.

I'd be inclined to take leave to do your PRMC & then wait until you have a start date (& SC) before declaring it at work.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ghost123

Ghost123 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    I appreciate the reply Ninja. I am currently living in the UK and have been since March 2017. Ive emailed NSVS and asked them if they would like an origional copy of my South African police clearence, would that help? One more question. Have you seen any commanwealth applicants (mainly South African) done in a short space of time? 2 or 3 or 4 months? Just looking for a slight bit of hope. The possibility of 12 months is pretty bleak!

Only issue is my boss is going to ask why you taking leave. He is my boss but someone id also consider a mate if that makes sense, so i want to tell him the truth. But at the same time dont want to tell him I'm applying for another job untill its official. I'm also leaving a pretty solid desk job, its just not for me. This has been on my mind for years.

Any other South Africans or commanwealth applicants have any input?

Appreciate the help.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

If you have less than 5 years UK residency, your AFCO should have applied for a residency waiver. They can come through fairly quickly for some countries, funnily enough one if the longest I encountered was for an Irish guy.

It would not be dishonest, mate or otherwise, to not announce a job change until a start date is declared and the employment notice period due.

Hopefully you'll get SC in under 3 months anyway, but I'd definitely check your afco has requested an SC residency waiver (if it's needed) because otherwise, SC will not be granted if it is and has not been requested.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ghost123

Ghost123 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Thanks for all the info Ninja. You 100% help alot of people on here and definitly put minds at ease. Appreciated by all. Ill be hoping my SC comes through soon, ill also give my AFCO a call to double check a residency waiver has been requested.

30 days to bust out a few more solid sessions before PRMC

Thanks again.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ghost123

Ghost123 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Hi Ninja

Hope you are well, quick question, hoping you can shed some light. I applied for my SC 5 months ago. Ive just passed PRMC and my AFCO have just requested my residency waiver. Does this mean the last 5 months of my application being "in progress" have been worth nothing? Would hate to think that the last 5 months have counted for nothing.

Again, thanks for the info.

7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Your SC will hopefully have been processed as far as possible with regard UK police & finance checks but cannot move forward to completion until the waiver is requested because "by the book" you need 5 years UK residency (or a residency waiver) before it is formally granted. Generally the waiver and SC application run in tandem but not always as there maybe a reason behind it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ghost123

Ghost123 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Thanks very much for the response. All understood.

9. shakebody

shakebody New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Good day Ninja_Stoker am a Commonwealth applicants and I have been waiting for my SC for like 6 months now getting to the 7th month.. It's quite frustrating seriously having had my triange call like 6 months ago I expected that things will move smoothly .. Please any Idea about what I can actually do... Am kinda feeling depressed already.

10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Have you booked your flights and completed the recruit test, selection interview, face to face medical, PJFT and passed PRMC?

11. shakebody

shakebody New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    I haven't gotten the go ahead to do that yet from the AFCO office . They haven't contacted me yet although I had done my triange test since last year.

12. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Did you complete the online security clearance application and if so, when you log-in to the National Security Vetting portal, does it show "In Progress"?

SC is not usually initiated until after at least the recruit test has been taken and passed. Once triage is completed successfully nothing can usually happen until the applicant notifies the AFCO of their availability dates in UK.

13. shakebody

shakebody New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    I didn't do any such thing... Am kinda confused here.. Please how do I go with completing the online security application form...am I supposed to go to a site and do this? How do I go about this?

14. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

SC is usually initiated AFTER passing the recruit test, your AFCO will send a link to create an account and complete the questionnaire. As an overseas applicant, a residency waiver is normally submitted simultaneously - they will ask you for references, a list of residential addresses over the preceding 5 years, confirmation of non-liability for military service in the country where you live and a Police check print out from that country also.

Presumably you completed a Medical Questionnaire and posted it back to UK and that was followed-up with a telephone call from the triage nurse?

Assuming the triage assessment was successful, the applicant must then book their flights to UK to undergo selection and notify their AFCO of their availability dates.

15. shakebody

shakebody New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Yea I completed the medical questionnaire before the call was put through to me by the nurse..
    Now I get so I have to go to the UK on my own to Continue the process from there?.. Well I thought we were supposed to get something like a visa support letter from the overseas office that will help us when we go to apply for visa to the UK...

16. shakebody

shakebody New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    @Ninja_Stoker thank you so much for the reply am really grateful... I think with all this information I'll just think of helping myself out with something else.... The process is tiring... The UK government have really made things difficult for us Commonwealth applicants... Anyways I'll just keep the hope alive bearing in mind that one day everything will work out well for us all...

17. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

The visa is usually the responsibility of the applicant, the Royal Navy will only involve themselves in immigration issues after selection is successfully completed and the individual is serving in the Armed Forces.

With regard the selection process, the criteria elements which must be passed are the same regardless of country of residence or nationality. Similarly, a UK citizen wishing to join a Commonwealth country Armed Force would have to meet the eligibility criteria and complete selection in that country.

The reason for conducting preliminary medical screening prior to travelling to UK is to minimise, as best possible, the risk of failure.

So far an online application has been completed, a medical questionnaire completed & a phonecall answered. The Royal Marines selection process and more importantly, Commando Recruit Training, is one of the most physically and mentally demanding selection processes in the world.

Best of luck in your aspirations.

18. shakebody

shakebody New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    @Ninja_Stoker I really appreciate *text deleted* efforts in answering all my questions.. Just like u've advised I'll just wait patiently to at least see the outcome.

19. Ghost123

Ghost123 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Mate give them a call, ask them what's up? Ask them when your pjft, prmc etc is being booked. If you've passed medical etc? Dont just wait to hear otherwise it's easy to be a number in a pile and just forgotten. Call them, chat to them etc etc. I've called mine loads of times and chatted, had some banter etc. They are really nice, well at least mine are.

Goodluck.

20. shakebody

shakebody New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Thanks for the idea..