Selection interview

Discussion in 'Stickies/Frequently Asked Questions' started by Ninja_Stoker, Aug 8, 2016.

1. "Crikey mate"

"Crikey mate" Member

Sorry to hijack
    Anyone able to confirm how long the selection interview remains valid for?

2. MM2001

MM2001 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    I have my selection interview coming up and was just wondering what the main questions that you got asked. Questions i should definetly know the answer too.

3. that guy 27

that guy 27 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Are there any typical wrong answers.

The questions about my views on drugs.

To be honest I dont care if someone uses drugs or not, in my opinion some people prefer drugs to alcohol, it doesnt make them a bad person and I also have friends who take drugs that are genuinely nicer people than my friends that drink. Would that be considered a wrong answer?

4. RayDonovan

RayDonovan Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Be a bit more clever than that mate, if that’s your opinion then that’s your opinion. (Everyone has one)

However your interviewer is not going to like that answer, you know that though..

5. that guy 27

that guy 27 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    That was genuine curiosity mate as being told to be honest to them and wandered *text deleted* ut was kinda black and white answers they want

I can sit there and confidently say what they want to hear which is what I'll do Haha.

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

Most people describe the interview as an informal chat, unaware of the level of information harvested.

The reason for the drugs related questions are due to the simple fact there's a zero tolerance of recreational drugs use for those serving. What your mates get up to is of no interest or direct relevance as long as you understand and accept you are subject to compulsory random drugs tests and will be discharged if tested positive.

I'd be the first to agree that alcohol & tobacco cause massive social and financial issues in relation to many "illegal" drugs. There is a strong, plausible argument for legalisation to regulate recreational drugs and a plethora of potential benefits. However...

One of the roles of Royal Marines is law enforcement which involves armed intervention against criminal drug runners.

A person that condones recreational drugs use is probably not the best person to employ as an air gunner in a helicopter using a .50 calibre rifle to shoot out the engine block on a "go fast" boat loaded with $40M worth of drugs, travelling at 70 knots.

Just a thought.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  7. that guy 27

that guy 27 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thanks for a explanation

Oh hell yeah, being honest I've tried recreational drugs about 5/6 years ago. Not my thing I dont even drink much anymore which is still a shock to myself. I've also had a job where I was drug and alcohol tested with a zero tolerance so that's no biggie for me

While I do partly agree that certain drugs could be regulated. My opinion doesnt change the law and what/if I'm tasked to do, will get done. But I do understand how it could been seen as a conflict of interest

As I said I mainly ask just as I keep seeing about being completely upfront with the questions and just wanted to make sure i wouldn't stitch myself up. The drug thing is probably the most controversial so it was an easy example

Thanks again Ninja

8. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Aside from Ninja's example another helpful way to clarify the issue might be to ask yourself how happy you would be knowing that the bloke next to you on a range carrying a loaded weapon was mentally impaired by the previous night's drug binge. Or that the woman who did critical maintenance on the helicopter you're flying in suffered a psychotic episode and cut corners.

Arguably such examples neatly shoot down most theoretical ethical dilemmas.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

Yep, that's the one that always made me twitch and one of the reasons we insist on absolute integrity.

10. that guy 27

that guy 27 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet

that would be a different scenario I was only refereeing to civvies (my bad for not explaining correctly)

I completely agree with you. I mean realistically for me it comes down to different scenarios like someone who stacks shelves at Tesco's who smokes weed, couldn't give a *text deleted*. if say the same person was also a bus driver then yeah id have an issue with that person. but that also goes for people who drink. I would have an issue with a bus driver to be of had a pint or 2 before his shift

• Like Like x 1