Selection interview

"Crikey mate"

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry to hijack
Anyone able to confirm how long the selection interview remains valid for?

MM2001

Reaction score
I have my selection interview coming up and was just wondering what the main questions that you got asked. Questions i should definetly know the answer too.

that guy 27

Reaction score
Are there any typical wrong answers.

The questions about my views on drugs.

To be honest I dont care if someone uses drugs or not, in my opinion some people prefer drugs to alcohol, it doesnt make them a bad person and I also have friends who take drugs that are genuinely nicer people than my friends that drink. Would that be considered a wrong answer?

RayDonovan

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Are there any typical wrong answers.

The questions about my views on drugs.

To be honest I dont care if someone uses drugs or not, in my opinion some people prefer drugs to alcohol, it doesnt make them a bad person and I also have friends who take drugs that are genuinely nicer people than my friends that drink. Would that be considered a wrong answer?

Be a bit more clever than that mate, if that’s your opinion then that’s your opinion. (Everyone has one)

However your interviewer is not going to like that answer, you know that though..

that guy 27

Reaction score
That was genuine curiosity mate as being told to be honest to them and wandered *text deleted* ut was kinda black and white answers they want

I can sit there and confidently say what they want to hear which is what I'll do Haha.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
That was genuine curiosity mate as being told to be honest to them and wandered *text deleted* ut was kinda black and white answers they want

I can sit there and confidently say what they want to hear which is what I'll do Haha.
Most people describe the interview as an informal chat, unaware of the level of information harvested.

The reason for the drugs related questions are due to the simple fact there's a zero tolerance of recreational drugs use for those serving. What your mates get up to is of no interest or direct relevance as long as you understand and accept you are subject to compulsory random drugs tests and will be discharged if tested positive.

I'd be the first to agree that alcohol & tobacco cause massive social and financial issues in relation to many "illegal" drugs. There is a strong, plausible argument for legalisation to regulate recreational drugs and a plethora of potential benefits. However...

One of the roles of Royal Marines is law enforcement which involves armed intervention against criminal drug runners.

A person that condones recreational drugs use is probably not the best person to employ as an air gunner in a helicopter using a .50 calibre rifle to shoot out the engine block on a "go fast" boat loaded with $40M worth of drugs, travelling at 70 knots.

Just a thought.

that guy 27

Reaction score
Thanks for a explanation

Oh hell yeah, being honest I've tried recreational drugs about 5/6 years ago. Not my thing I dont even drink much anymore which is still a shock to myself. I've also had a job where I was drug and alcohol tested with a zero tolerance so that's no biggie for me

While I do partly agree that certain drugs could be regulated. My opinion doesnt change the law and what/if I'm tasked to do, will get done. But I do understand how it could been seen as a conflict of interest

As I said I mainly ask just as I keep seeing about being completely upfront with the questions and just wanted to make sure i wouldn't stitch myself up. The drug thing is probably the most controversial so it was an easy example

Thanks again Ninja

Chelonian

Reaction score
But I do understand how it could been seen as a conflict of interest

Aside from Ninja's example another helpful way to clarify the issue might be to ask yourself how happy you would be knowing that the bloke next to you on a range carrying a loaded weapon was mentally impaired by the previous night's drug binge. Or that the woman who did critical maintenance on the helicopter you're flying in suffered a psychotic episode and cut corners.

Arguably such examples neatly shoot down most theoretical ethical dilemmas.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Or that the woman who did critical maintenance on the helicopter you're flying in suffered a psychotic episode and cut corners.
Yep, that's the one that always made me twitch and one of the reasons we insist on absolute integrity.

that guy 27

Reaction score
Aside from Ninja's example another helpful way to clarify the issue might be to ask yourself how happy you would be knowing that the bloke next to you on a range carrying a loaded weapon was mentally impaired by the previous night's drug binge. Or that the woman who did critical maintenance on the helicopter you're flying in suffered a psychotic episode and cut corners.

Arguably such examples neatly shoot down most theoretical ethical dilemmas.

that would be a different scenario I was only refereeing to civvies (my bad for not explaining correctly)

I completely agree with you. I mean realistically for me it comes down to different scenarios like someone who stacks shelves at Tesco's who smokes weed, couldn't give a *text deleted*. if say the same person was also a bus driver then yeah id have an issue with that person. but that also goes for people who drink. I would have an issue with a bus driver to be of had a pint or 2 before his shift

MJCH

Reaction score
Thanks for this very helpful post.

Is it wise to admit that there isn’t family support for your application? Or even that you haven’t told them on the basis that you know they’d be against it and don’t see the point in having the drama unless and until you get through the (very competitive) AIB? I’m 21, perfectly fine with my friends’ support, and not having family support isn’t going to hold me back – but AFCOs are clearly concerned about it or they wouldn’t ask. Is this likely to be a red flag?

Also just wanted to ask here, for the sake of avoiding a new thread – I haven’t been contacted by my AFCO yet. Is there anything I need to do to prepare for the initial call? Is it assessed in any way? Should I treat it as an interview?

Thanks!

Redrover

Reaction score
Hi Ninja, i just want to know if it is imperative thay i know all the dates pretaining to the cap badge elements for my interview?

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
@Redrover , Not 100% essential no - the CA may ask a range of questions -and each one will not ask the same one,s as there is a whole range they could ask - this means that you can be gauged on a range of subjects and therefore your knowledge - if the questions we are the same - you would all know the answer from sites such as this.!:eek: . so cover a wide scope is suggested (use the fact sheet tab at the top of the main page)..the more you know the easier the interview will be at this part of it.!