Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.
  1. Bionictonic

Bionictonic New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Hello, i plan on applying within the next 2 years. (Due to my braces i would like to be taken off first) but i have self harm scars and i hear they won't take you? I was wondering if theres anyone who's been accepted with self harm scars and if anyone could tell me more about it. The self harm that was done (a year ago) was only through the period of 3 weeks and i have many scars but most are faint enough to not be seen. I don't know if my gp is aware of the time period that the self harming was done and has put that i'm still doing it. I believe also they still have my record as still suffering from mental illness.

2. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Welcome lad.

Best thing to do is get all that sorted and straightened out. The sooner the better. As it will be harder to prove retrospectively.

3. Bionictonic

Bionictonic New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I would also like to mention that i do not suffer from any mental illness anymore, the self harm that was done was due to peer pressure.

• Seen Seen x 1
  4. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    No judgement here mate. We all have things in our past.
    The main point is whether you are sorted now. And getting it on record as soon as possible, so the clock is set from that point.

Rather than leaving it and in a few years, seeing it’s still on your record and the Corps looks at it from that point. And disregards the previous timeline as there’s no record of it.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Bionictonic

Bionictonic New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I Plan on getting to my gp this week to let them know i am 100% okay and to make sure they haven't made it look like i was suffering from it for longer than i actually was

• Seen Seen x 1
  6. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

I don't know what the medical standards are. Either @CHUB! or @The guide or @Ninja_Stoker will be able to give you the heads-up on that if they spot the thread.

Talking about your career aspirations with your GP is a good start. He or she can explain your medical record to you and put its content into context. Best of luck.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bionictonic

Bionictonic New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thank you very much, i've been wanting to do this since i was a young boy. I really hope it's not ruined because of someone manipluating me and possibly ruining my chances.

• Seen Seen x 1
  8. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

As mentioned by @ThreadpigeonsAlpha no judgment here.
    I'm certainly not qualified to advise on clinical matters and medical entry standards. Hope that things work out. Let us know how you get on.

9. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Don’t ever let that happen again.

Someone else’s opinion of you does not have to become your reality.

You decide your fate. No one else. People will see their own insecurities and short comings and proclaim them to be your own.

• Like Like x 2
    • Seen Seen x 1
  10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

I'm not working in direct recruiting and don't want to give duff advice in this area, but pending @CHUB! 's confirmation on this subject, I read it you need to be completely off medication or treatment/counselling for 3 years and more than two episodes of self-harm on your medical records are a permanent bar to entry:
    Bottom line is it is case by case, depending on circumstances but as rightly stated above, see your GP to see what's on your records and ensure that the issue is recorded as resolved when treatment (if any) finished.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Bionictonic

Bionictonic New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Okay thank you very much

12. Bionictonic

Bionictonic New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    What do you mean when you say 'episodes' though, like stopping then going back onto it?

13. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Yep, precisely that.

14. Bionictonic

Bionictonic New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Oh, then from that then i should be alright logically? As i did it for a period for 3 weeks then never did it again cause it is the most dumb thing to do. I didn't understand the '1 case less than 12 months 2yr of completion' what does that mean exactly?

15. Bionictonic

Bionictonic New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I'd also like to say that i was never on counsling or any medication at all

16. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

It refers to treatment for depression. 1 episode (period) of less than 12 months treatment/counselling - 2 years recovery required from the end of the period.

17. Bionictonic

Bionictonic New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Right i think i understand