Self-preservation

Cues2

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I shared this on the P&P forum this morning, and another member suggested that I perhaps share more widely. I know that a big part of surviving & thriving in the 32 weeks is looking after your body as much as possible, hence this post............................I don't know whether this is a common thing to do, but, after our nod had passed his PRMC and had come home with his boots, the ex RN friend who had been helping him train advised him to swap the boot insoles for Sorbothane insoles, he told our nod that they were what he had used and could be a life saver (or rather a leg saver). Our nod said that they were certainly better than the standard issue. Whilst I can't say how much they are helping, what I do know is that ankle and knee injuries are RT's biggest reason for being huntered (according to the Head Physio at CTC) and I know at least one lad in 260 has left due to serious shin splints. Their legs and feet take some serious hammer and our nod is doing fine in that department at the moment. There are a lot of different sorbothane, insoles, the ones our nod got were Sorbothane Sorbo-Pro Total Control Insoles. When you compare them to the standard insole you will understand why they are so much better. And just read the reviews on Amazon. Just a suggestion.

Caversham

RM Commando, Crossed The Bar 13/12/2020
Reaction score
I believe that CTC are quite strict on the use of insoles. If necessary they do prescribe them, but if Nods bring their own then that becomes a problem.
@Ninja_Stoker can hopefully supply the current thinking on this, as I believe that it can lead to problems with the TTs

Alan

Caversham

RM Commando, Crossed The Bar 13/12/2020
Reaction score
Just seen @Illustrious’s reply on another sub forum to this question, so my advice is no doubt out of date.

Alan

Illustrious

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
To clarify, proscribed orthotics as fair as I am aware is still a ban, however self purcbasdp sorbathane insoles are not.

The caveat is that the RM can and do proscribe orthotic insoles whilst a recruit is already in the service if there is a need.

Cues2

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
To clarify, proscribed orthotics as fair as I am aware is still a ban, however self purcbasdp sorbathane insoles are not.

The caveat is that the RM can and do proscribe orthotic insoles whilst a recruit is already in the service if there is a need.
Understood

arny01

Ex Pongo.
Reaction score
My son used Sorbathane insoles throughout his time at CTC and he’s continued to use them now. He did as a matter of chance suffer a third metatarsal stress fracture, which I think was attributed to his age, and subsequent lack of physical development at that time? He never ever suffered any shin issues however.

posh_punter

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I use gel sports insoles from Boots inside my Altbergs and swear by them. Have yet have a blister too.

Chelonian

Reaction score
Our nod said that they were certainly better than the standard issue.

I got my first (very expensive) sorbothane insoles in the late 1970s rather than using the issued insoles for Boots DMS. The issued insoles then resembled a cheese grater both in appearance and comfort!

Been using sorbothane insoles ever since in mountain boots, walking boots, field boots, chest waders, etc., and I thoroughly recommend them.

The brand I buy are 'Cush N Step' and they cost much less than many other brands (I'm a skinflint) but—just my personal experience—are just as good as other much more expensive brands. They get good reviews on Amazon too.

Touching on the point raised by @Caversham I understand that if the service prescribes orthotic insoles and the man subsequently leaves the service he is barred from re-enlisting because... he has previously been prescribed orthotic insoles, even though the service did the prescription.
I'm not 100% certain on this though. @Ninja_Stoker or @CHUB! might clarify?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
I understand that if the service prescribes orthotic insoles and the man subsequently leaves the service he is barred from re-enlisting because... he has previously been prescribed orthotic insoles, even though the service did the prescription.
This is correct.

The tip is don't wrap because the odds of rejoining are pretty much zero unfortunately as it is indelibly annotated to one's service medical records and whilst not an automatic reason for discharge under JSP 950 Section 5: THE INFLUENCE OF PARTICULAR CONDITIONS DURING SERVICE, it is a bar under Section 4 THE INFLUENCE OF PARTICULAR CONDITIONS FOR ENTRY.

ERFC

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I used them and for around camp, battle phys etc they’re brilliant. However, would strongly recommend that they’re not brought into the field. I found that because of how cushioned they are and the material they’re made out of it’s like standing on a sponge once they get wet. 8 days in the field standing on a sponge is going to get painful very quickly.

Standard issued insoles I found dried relatively quickly once you take your boot off. (Don’t expect this till phase two though! He won’t have time with all the skills they have to learn!) :D

By all means wear them for phys on camp but I’d recommend you let him know what they’re like in the field just so he’s aware.

Cues2

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I used them and for around camp, battle phys etc they’re brilliant. However, would strongly recommend that they’re not brought into the field. I found that because of how cushioned they are and the material they’re made out of it’s like standing on a sponge once they get wet. 8 days in the field standing on a sponge is going to get painful very quickly.

Standard issued insoles I found dried relatively quickly once you take your boot off. (Don’t expect this till phase two though! He won’t have time with all the skills they have to learn!) :D

By all means wear them for phys on camp but I’d recommend you let him know what they’re like in the field just so he’s aware.
Thank you, that is v useful to know, I will convey your experience to him. They have just done Marshall Star this week and I know already they jogged back to base in wet boots, so, I'll enquire as to whether the in soles acted like sponges or not.