Serious Question

brummielad

Reaction score
I have asked this recently but didnt really get any advice off it. In short, should i go to college for two years and get some education under my belt, or apply straight off for the royal marines. I know ultimately i have to make the choice but i really cannot choose. I think sometimes i want to get in asap and then other times i think its always going to be there for me and i should be thinking about life after the royal marines.

Any adivce or imput would seriously be helpful.

Gorillawizard

Reaction score
If i were you mate i'd go for it and join up. I'm 24 and i wish i had joined at 16 really. Your not really missing anything in life except the *text deleted**text deleted*e mornings after a night out on the tiles. Although if your not thinking of a long career in the marines then go get an education first so you've got something to fall back on. But if your thinking of a life in the marines then go for it.

JMH

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I'm in exactly the same position, so unfortunately i don't have an answer for you. So i too would appreciate any advice. However, when i was reading the chat log on the royal marines website that was with a royal marine, the exact same question was asked and he said that definitely going to college or 6th form to get some qualifications if your considering it before going in is the better option. I Still can't make my mind up though

RossRobObey

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I was in the same position, but after debating it a lot with myself and my family, I've decided to join at 16.

The reasons for this are that there is nothing I want more than to get in. Since I was very young I've never liked the idea of going to Uni, 6th form as always been a very sketchy subject, again, I've never really wanted to go.

I did not do bad in my GCSEs, A's and B's, so it's not like I would not be able to get through 6th form, but I just really don't want to. I do not get on with many of the people there, at all. So that, I suupose is one of the main reasons.

*text deleted*, most of the people are complete *text deleted*ers, friends stabbing me in the back, etc. I just want to get away from it all and make some lifelong, loyal mates.

Another reason I wanted to join now is so I have no commitments. I'm not in a serious relationship, no job, no loans/morgage, etc. There is nothing stopping me joining.

Hope thats helped, if not feel free to add me on msn, I'm more than happy to ralk further.

T

tricky123

alrite mate,
i feel the same,
it really depends on what course your wanting,
if its something relevant to the marines or something for you to do when you retire, only you can make the choice but mate.
tricky

Chris

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I can understand your predicament, my opinion would be to go to college first then go Commando. Anything could happen to you while in RT or serving as a commando that might take away your ability to be a commando or you might just not enjoy it.

Having something to fall back on is always a good idea. However whilst in the Marines you can study further, the Armed forces even have a plan where they pay a certain amount each year for you to study further so either way you will have the ability to live happily after the Marines with an education is various fields.

My opinion get college done then go Marine.

Wish best for you on your decision and either way most of us here will back you which ever route you decide on.

chris

Layden23

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
same position mate
look at it like this, if u make it into the royal marines then you have a long and beneficial career ahead of you and they provide you with one of the best educations you can possibly recieve
if you fail you can always go for some more educations still, it's not like it's *text deleted* run away from you.
but you have to be confident in whichever you choose, *text deleted* any doubt in your choice will really effect the result *text deleted* going for, and not in a good way.
hope that helped a little, and good luck mate.

brummielad

Reaction score
Points well taken lads. I have done bugger al since i left school just osme part time work here and there. So joining college at like 20 if i failed the marines would feel pretty degrading. One option im considering is make sure i get a very good pass rate on the aptitude test and i fail marines drop into a trade in the navy as secound choice. I was looking at doing some a levels really not that interested in them but if for whatever reason i couldnt join i would do that at college. I currently have a girlfriend( 2 years), job and that but its so boring my life is at the moment. The worry i have is if i join get all the way to r.t training and have to drop out due to injury or just not cut out for it i could have to wait till the college year starts to join an that.

Awful predicament.

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I'd get A levels under your belt. Not a massive difference in the corps, but afterwards they are a standardised exam which is well regarded and shows some commitment to civvie employers.

brummielad

Reaction score
two years for a levels *text deleted* jesus. I think im just going to see how my aptitude test goes and everything if that all snowballs properly i ll decide when the time comes right like after PRMC.

Sometimes i question why im even so hooked on joining the marines, i know nothing about the actual carearr after training or anything its just always on my mind and that, and with the war going on and that my parents cant even get there head round why i want to join.

Anyone else in the same place as me or do you all know what life after training is like etc.

Am i just seriously unknowledgable *text deleted*

HHHNNN

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
ye i am but seriously i really *text deleted* be a marine but also really *text deleted* go uni or sixth form just for the experience but i dont wnna miss out on afghan if i spend another 5-6 years in education...or 1-2 sixth form....it might be over or more into a peacekeeping role may be happenening then.......*text deleted* i sound naive...*text deleted*

Gorillawizard

Reaction score
the thing is, if you do get in the marines then you won't be able to spend much of your money whilst there, therefore saving alot so if you do leave then you'll have money behind you to get an education.

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
But when you come back, you'll blow it on nights out and other random bollocks :D

So it's all fun, just *text deleted* have self control not to spend too much really.

But A levels or uni are useful, they give good life experiance (apparantly, just bored me) and is looked well upon at interview.

Gazkane

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
From my experience I would say go to college first, when I left school I did a plastering apprenticeship. I'm a qualified plasterer so that means if my appeal goes tits up I always have something to fall back on

hazza190

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hey,
Yeah well I'm in the same position as you mate, but I've decided to try and get through sixth form get a few A levels then join. To be honest I would like to join when I'm 16 but when it comes down to life experience I aint done that much in my life so... anyway.
Also I'm doing sixth form so to get a few quals on my belt for life after service. And if you decide to do sixth form its not the end of the world if you think halfway through oh god what have I done, you can just quit or do the first year get an as level and sign up to the corps. Hoped it helped a bit.

Babybell

Reaction score
Points well taken lads. I have done bugger al since i left school just osme part time work here and there. So joining college at like 20 if i failed the marines would feel pretty degrading. One option im considering is make sure i get a very good pass rate on the aptitude test and i fail marines drop into a trade in the navy as secound choice. I was looking at doing some a levels really not that interested in them but if for whatever reason i couldnt join i would do that at college. I currently have a girlfriend( 2 years), job and that but its so boring my life is at the moment. The worry i have is if i join get all the way to r.t training and have to drop out due to injury or just not cut out for it i could have to wait till the college year starts to join an that.

Awful predicament.

"Determination"

and

"Cheerfulness in the face of adversity"

Two things to keep in mind. At least the first one definatly is. Im assuming here that the "cheerfulness" part can be translated into facing problems head on with a positive attatude.

Considering your 20, you would be better of joing up and getting A level/BTEC quilifications through the marines, if a RM is what you want to be. You should also not think that it would be degrading to go to collage aged 20. Many other people have done it, and I bet many more will too.

If you where 16 like Ross, then I would strongly have suggested staying on and going to collage/6th form. Firstly because having the 180 ucas points (+the GCSE requirments of course) opens up the officer route. Secondly I dont know how being under 18 effects your choices after RT.

J

Jason_A

Means in misfortune; A calamitous event.

Babybell

Reaction score

Means in misfortune; A calamitous event.

Humm, so I suppose it could be used in context with brummielad's post then?....

Damn wheres the "Looks hopeful" smiley when you need one:weird:

Tb1

Reaction score
I would recommend carrying on education while you can. As others have said the Corps is still going to be there in a few years time. Go college and do your work and have fun with your mates and the girls! If you dont enjoy it then you can just join up anyway.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Serious Question Training Plans and Diet Suggestions 6
K serious question! Jollies Bar 20
Kiddeh Right serious question! Blonde or Brown? Jollies Bar 39