Service in Afghanistan

mumsie

Reaction score
Call me a neurotic Mum,but I am wodering if anyone out there knows what the statistics are of being killed whilst on active service in Afghanistan.

GaryA

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
well i dont know the statistic but there are around 5000 troops in there now and 130 summink have died sinse 2001 so it isnt high

mumsie

Reaction score
Service in Afghanistan.

Thanks for your help,Gary.but i was thinking specifically of the royal marines

royal1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
It's 300 (Ive Read Somewhere think its more now those two marines were killed) that have died out there since 2001 but not all from battle. There is more chance that you would get run over in civvy street apparently so don't worry two much obviously as a parent you will be worried.

Dan

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I believe it's around the 18 mark, but could be mistaken.

stoker0nine

Reaction score
I can see your concern mumsie. My mum is exactly the same.

Not sure on the exact Royal Marine deaths, but i suppose it doesn't matter what kind of soldier you are.

I believe it's 126 British service personel deaths in Afghan (including the Royal Marine who was killed earlier this week by the IED) since 2001. 126 may seem like a high figure, but that depends on the number of troops who have served there since 2001. If we had that number we could find out the percentage of actual losses. As said above, it must be a small percentage as there as been thousands serving.

Also, if you have watched Commando: on the front line, the Royal Marine Chaplain states to Terry John that 'chances of being knocked down in the high street are much higher than the chance of being injured or killed on the battlefield'. And I don't think a Chaplain would lie. :doh:

S

Stacka

Army Commando
Reaction score
Put it this way 440,000 die from smoking in the UK each year. 8 million people smoke in the UK, making that 5.5% chance of dying.

In Afghanistan in this time 126 people have been killed.

There are 8000 British troops in Afghanistan, making it 1.5%

So your more likely to die of smoking than in Afghanistan

Stacka

Army Commando
Reaction score
Oh yeah last year 850 people were murdered! In one year

GaryA

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
It's 300 (Ive Read Somewhere think its more now those two marines were killed) that have died out there since 2001 but not all from battle. There is more chance that you would get run over in civvy street apparently so don't worry two much obviously as a parent you will be worried.

no 300 is iraq and afgan afganis around 128 or summink

Dan

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Oh yeah last year 850 people were murdered! In one year

That's out of 60,000,000 people remember though. ;)

(Not trying to put a downer on you or anything :cheesy:).

a flying dodo

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
All these figures may be correct, however they may not be relevant.

For example, if one person died in afghan and 10 died from getting hit by a car, you would say that you are less likely to die in afghan.

However if you then go to say but there is 10 soldiers in afghan and 1 million in England, you would then see that actually afghan is far mor dangerous.

You need to look at the percentages, not "x amount of people are eaten by whales a year"

Ash

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i couldnt care if 99% of people died in afghan and iraq...

i'd still probably go and join the marines anyway..

Stacka

Army Commando
Reaction score
That's out of 60,000,000 people remember though. ;)

(Not trying to put a downer on you or anything :cheesy:).

I'm trying to work the road deaths out, but I did it once on a 2003 figures and I worked out that 4% of road users are killed every year.

17% of that is through drink driving. 4% of the drink drive road deaths are innocent victims.

21% of people killed in the UK are pedestrians hit by road users.

And finally 70% of all road deaths are men.

Stacka

Army Commando
Reaction score
All these figures may be correct, however they may not be relevant.

For example, if one person died in afghan and 10 died from getting hit by a car, you would say that you are less likely to die in afghan.

However if you then go to say but there is 10 soldiers in afghan and 1 million in England, you would then see that actually afghan is far mor dangerous.

You need to look at the percentages, not "x amount of people are eaten by whales a year"

See previous post Sherlock

C

critchmufc

Put it this way 440,000 die from smoking in the UK each year. 8 million people smoke in the UK, making that 5.5% chance of dying.

In Afghanistan in this time 126 people have been killed.

There are 8000 British troops in Afghanistan, making it 1.5%

So your more likely to die of smoking than in Afghanistan

its probably less than 1.5%, becuase its done by the amount killed since 2001, to how many soldiers have been there since 2001

...also, if you dont smoke, then you dont have a chance of dying from smoking, so then it is more likely to die in afghanistan

but the chances are low

Richard

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
mumsie, i wouldnt worrie about the deaths that occur in Afganistan. Like most of the guys are saying its the equivalent of being hit by a bus. You do have to be concerned because the troops are in firefights on a daily basis but they are trained professionals!

HHHNNN

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
1 in 65 chance of being killed in one tour.......if your in a frontline role
but a troup will usually come away with bout 30% casualties

all these people saying more chance of getting killeed in sivvy street is bull*text deleted**text deleted*

WW2 5% OF all british troops were killed
WW1 15% Of all british troops wwere killed
afgahnistan 2% of all combat troops are/will killed(not sure how to put that)

HHHNNN

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
with the thing about since 2001 there was no fighting on the british part from 2001-2006.............