Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Shallow sea swimming vs. pool

Discussion in 'RMR Section and RMR Selection' started by The Creature of the Night, Sep 16, 2018.

1. The Creature of the Night

The Creature of the Night Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Hi there, lads:

As I live by the coast, and am a relatively strong swimmer, I was wondering whether it would be more beneficial to go swimming in the shallow parts of the sea?

I don’t know if there is a swim test for the R.M.R., but still use swimming as a means to keeping fit

Best wishes
    The Creature of the Night

2. Illustrious

Illustrious Royal Marines Commando - Moderator

The sea has its advantages, but you'll be limited in how much you'll be able to push yourself, lest you become just another statistic.

The pool allows you to train at a higher intensity, with the fallback being that there's someone to drag you out if it goes wrong.

3. allye

allye Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    6 of 1, half a dozen of the other really. You’ll benefit far more from a proper swim set with intervals and pyramids than a plodding long open water swim.

When you say strong swimmer, what’s a normal distance or set? Obviously the RM swim test is a piece of pi$$ if you’re a serious swimmer so you don’t need to worry about it too much.

I use my 90min weekly swim session for cardio these days rather than improving my swimming.

4. The Creature of the Night

The Creature of the Night Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    I can confidently do lengths for around an hour and half in the pool, and each length equates to 90ft or so.

Will take the advice on here and stick to the pool. Just I wanted to save some money though, for a couple of quid, it worth risking one’s lift for it!