Shaping your beret?

hazza190

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hey,
I'm having real trouble shaping my cadet beret. I thought I was doing it right but guys keep coming up to me saying its wrong.
Any help?
Especially from guys in cadets or any help will do.
Cheers,
Harry

hobbsy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Been a very long time since i did that, and different people seem to do it different ways when i was in cadets, u basically soak the beret up the the leather rim in hot, then cold, then hot, then cold...etc. water. Then ring it out and plonk it on your head, make sure the capbadge is over your left eye, and pull the beret down so it slopes to the right. Leave it sittin on your head til it dries, it should stay the shape you made it now more or less. Kinda hard to explain, and hard to get right without being shown. Maybe find a cadet forum which has phots of how to do it.

EDIT: Missed a bit *text deleted*

S

Sotiris

Haha, I was thinking of posting a thread regarding this very topic yesterday.

Hobbsy you're wrong I'm afriad. Cap badge on the right, beret slants over the left.

But everything is correct Hazza. I did that last night. Just googled it and that's what they all say. Boil some water and fill your sink with it. Make sure you've got some cold water on stand by.

Once you've let it soak for a while in the hot dip it in the cold and wring it out and plonk it on your head.

Leave it there for at least 20 mins!! Watch a film or something while you're working. When you're done take it off carefully. What I tried that isn't mentioned any where I looked is stuffing the inside with loads of toilet paper so it doesn't collapse over night.

I did this all last night and it's worked.

If yours is from army stores there'll be far too much material so it will never really look decent. Apparently a lot of soldiers buy theirs online from companies that use less material precisely to avoid the ridiculous lip over half your ear look.

Good luck.

HHHNNN

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
im pretty sure cap badge is over left eye

hobbsy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hmm im sure mine was capbadge on left :S Now im confused. Actually i think im right! Look at top of the page, next to the word PRMC, the marine next to the words, with his beret on. His capbadge is over left eye (although you cant see it), and it slopes to his right.
Maybe yours was different, or im just going crazy. Which is possible.....

EDIT; Spelling

S

Sotiris

Just google it, it's really info to find.

If I'm wrong mate, hehe, so's the rest of the British army.

hobbsy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
*text deleted*! Easy enough mistake to make.

S

Sotiris

Sigh...a grand moment of stupidity on my behalf, I apologise to all.

hazza190

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Alright lads cheers for the help.
I will try it tonight and then post up a pic if you really want haha.
Oh and also how high does it have to be?
like across your eyebrows or something. I've heard its two finger widths up form your eyebrow but I'm still not sure.

v3locity

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Yes sotiris dw mate i can never seem to remember which side it is on either! I know everyones beret looks slightly different when shaped but i know how i would like mine! some look really weird *text deleted* if that makes sense.