Shaving (stupid question I know)

Mackie

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I was watching the Commando: On the front line programme, and noticed a lot of people got told they were duff at shaving when they got off the train.

I know you get instructed on how to shave properly, but I was wondering if anyone can give me any pointers at the moment. My hair is quite dark, so when I shave at the moment I still look like I've got a bit of growth straight after a shave.

There is a way I can combat this, by using my razor from the bottom up (and not following the direction of the hair) but when I do this I get a terrible rash and it hurts quite a lot the next day.

Is this the way I should be doing it and is it just a case of my skin getting used to it? If so I'd rather get used to it now than when I start training.

Thanks!

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
Hi Mate,

Yep going against the grain is not recommended from people such as Gillete, as it does let a bit of infection into the skin.

2 ways to you combat it, 1) stop going against the grain and shave softly until you get it all, or 2) get some cream and apply it after shaving and this should help after a while.

One thing, when you are shaving in training. You shave everyday non stop so you are much better at keeping the growth down and infectious bacteria won't build up and hurt as much.

Try changing from foam to gel, it may help a little also.

All the best

GreyWing

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Another pointer, by the way, electric razors are "Verbotten" before anyone asks.

Gareth

Reaction score
I have this problem to, thanks for the tips. And Mackie, Never be afraid to ask questions, however stupid they may seem. When you get down there, they would rather you ask a question even if it's simple, than get something wrong because you didn't.

Mackie

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I still have problems with this. I'm using the latest gillette razor at the moment, the one with 4 blades. I can do under my chin and the sides of my face no problem, but when it comes to my chin and lip it feels like if I put any more pressure on I'll just rip the skin right off.

Am I better using a bog standard one-blade disposable if I'm shaving from the bottom up? I think this new fangled one might be a bit too much for the non-conventional way of shaving!

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
I think Gillete still do the "Sensor Excel" I think it's two blades. Personally if shaving is giving you problems, drop down the blades from four to two. Two should be better at getting rid of the growth, four will probably just over do it for younger lads.

Personally wouldn't use the disposables, they usually butcher your skin. If I started to use one now I'd get a bit of itching and redness.

I'd try to the 2 blade and possible try a branded 1 blade such as wilkinson if you don't have much luck.

But failing that, I think it will hurt a little till your skin adapts to shaving. There is nothing unusual in it and nearly everbody has been through it.

All the best

GW

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
Shave Off

ferking "shave off" as they say in the Corps.

If you can't shave yourself clean in one shave do it in two.

You've certainly got the right tools.

I guess the principle even applies here, if at first you don't suceed, try and try again!! :D

Cheers

Steve

Plummy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
im 17 but still get a beard which is a bit of a bitch.. but i generally shave upwards it gets rid of everything except your skin *text deleted*..im pretty good at using it aswell as ive onloy cut myself once ..if you shave down it sucks gillette fusion power or somthing i use

Mikey

Reaction score
I used to use Gillette Mach 3's until I switched to safety razors - the ones that take the old school two sided blades. In my opinion they provide a closer shave and are just as safe as cartridge blades as long as you pay attention to what you are doing. Much cheaper too as you can buy a pack of 5 Wilkinson Sword blades for £1.50 and each blade is good for 4 days shaving (two days a side) but they're so cheap, you can effectively have a fresh blade every day. I use the bog standard plastic £3.50 Wilkinson Sword safety razor, but it does the job well and is nice and heavy. When I get the pennies, I'd like to buy this bad boy - http://connaughtshaving.com/merkur38c.html - gorgeous. As far as I know, it's the heavier the better as it's the weight of the razor that provides the close shave, not the amount of pressure you apply to your face.

Just make sure you screw down the top of the razor tightly as it's that which pushes the blade down to the optimum shaving angle... I made that mistake only once, *text deleted*... you really don't want to push an unsecured virgin razor blade against your face.

Anyway, that's just my personal preference :)

The most important thing you must do is prepare your face for shaving. You should shave after a bath/shower as this will ensure your pores are open and the hair follicles are swollen which makes it easier to effectively shave them off. In any case, make sure your face is nice and wet with hot water. Then you apply your shaving foam/gel (preferably Gel - buy a Tube of that green King of Shaves stuff from boots for £4 and you'll never go back to foam). You should really use a shaving brush as this ensures the hairs will be standing on end - this really is key - nothing will make a close shave easier. Soak the brush in reasonably hot water and apply the stuff to your face and keep brushing it in for a minute at the very minimum. Also, during your shave, keep your face wet at all times. This ensures the blade will glide across your face.

I hope this helps :)