Shaving

robigunner88

Reaction score
Would I be looked upon if I shaved down below?

Nah just kidding. Really it's about my facial hair. I tend to go a good week before I shave again. But one thing I realise is that after I finish, I never seem to remove stuble fully from my face cheeks. Always tried different ways to get into to it but never can. I'm not sure if its the razor, normal cheap one. Should I finally invest in something a bit better like ones of those ones that Tiger Woods and Rodger Federer uses on TV.
I just can't be arsed to be picked up on it once i'm in training.

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
i think in the first week they go through all that side of personal admin and what's expected. i'm the same mate, i just use a beard trimmer most o time to keep a short stubble- dont like wet shaving.

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
They will go through it all for you mate.

When I started Army Basic I was 20 and felt very patronised when they started showing us all how to shave and brush teeth etc.

However, I did actually learn a few things!

Firstly, if you get your face really hot with hot water before you shave it opens up the pores and the hairs stick out slightly more, this means when you shave it cuts as deep as possible, then when you cool your face again after shaving the pores tighten and pull the hairs back in just below the surface, thus a perfectly clean shave.

Also rather than just slapping foam on, massage it into the skin and hair, it softens the hair and makes it easier to shave.

Always shave with the direction of the hair and not against it to avoid shaving rash as you will HAVE to shave every morning.

And as for shaving down below, it is actually encouraged, its more hygenic and easier to clean yourself in the field.

When the corporal got naked on our first exercise and showed how to wash, he had no hair at all, not on his head, armpits, ass, anywhere! Although I think he may have done it for the laughs!

gedro

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I always find that if i let it grow for a few days, getting about 3/4mm in length, then shave, it grows back alot slower and it feels alot smoother, than if i shave everyday when its just growing back.

Robbie Spice

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I hate shaving it pisses me off, I've been shaving since I was about 13, For some reason I can grow a beard piece of piss.

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Aye I hate shaving my face but the head needs to be shaved, shame I can't do that as far as I know?
Usually use beard trimmer to, as I get ingrowing hairs liek a motherfu...
Oh well, far more important things to worry about than ingrowing hairs i guess.

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
*text deleted**text deleted* me I've never even shaved before, don't even know how to!

M

MTW

they make you shave every day. even if you have no facial hair at all, a couple of the 16yr olds got a bit of a 'extra phys' because they didnt, disobeying orders apparently. they are hot on that.

gedro

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
We we're on drill and getting inspected, one young lad, must of been about 16 or 17, had stubble and didn't bother shaving that morning, was ordered back to the grots to get his razor, shaving foam, mess tin with water in, and get back to the parade ground, and shave there... ha

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
It's all to do with personal hygeine.

You must keep yourself as clean as possible, even in the field, to avoid infecting a wound (MRSA and all that). This includes shaving & everyone has to wet shave from day one, without exception.

Gorillawizard

Reaction score
So basically really just start shaving everyday to get used to it, get into a routine of it.

Mitch

Reaction score
In Commando the book Chris Terril says the recruits are told to shave with "long strokes against the grain of the beard". They are also told to shave everyday.

I personally wouldn't go straight from shaving once a week/fortnight to shaving everyday and especially not against the grain. Try and gradually cut it down. I used to shave once a month at 14 and have cut it down now to once every three days (am 17 now). I don't get a lot of growth after just one day so I can't see the point in cutting my face just for the sake of it; I will have enough of that in training.

Mitch

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
dont mind shaving personally. i like to keep a bit of stubble, makes me look older and less of a chance of getting asked for ID when buy alcohol *text deleted*.

but what annoys me most is my facial hair doesn't grow evenly. my left side burn grows quicker than the right and i get more hair on the right side of my chin than the left, im like WTF!! grow evenly..

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
haha ZZ.
Lcukily once you shave you head, ID requests seem to dry up.. so I can shave clean and never get ID'd, with hair I look 15.
Chin will be fun to shave, shaved it a while back for first time in a year, was yellow with puss coming out, *text deleted**text deleted* yea!

Raz

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I hate body hair, always makes me itch like mental, plus i just feel cleaner without it:bigsmile:

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I hate body hair, always makes me itch like mental, plus i just feel cleaner without it:bigsmile:
well now i know far more about you than i ever wanted to... *text deleted*

spartan

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
my ass hairs twisted when i walked so i shaved them 4 days ago it feels like a *text deleted*n hedgehog in my ass at the mo hopefully itll go away soon......:wacko:

gedro

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Haha shouldn't shave them hairs, they are there for a reason, if you really have to, just get a pair of scissors and trim them down, then they won't itch like a bitch.