Shin Problem - Solution?

Crazydave1990

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Ok guys... just going give a brief low down of what's happened, then if you don't mind giving me some advise, I'd appreciate it :)

Right, well, I started off running about a year ago in practise for the Marines... Started off in some really crappy trainers and I didn't really build myself up properly I'm thinking... just started running 1-1.5 milers straight off the bat....

was also running about 5-6 days per week... anyways, I believe I developed shin splints... had time off, started running again, got them again, rested again... etc...

Anyways, I went to see a bio-mechanic, who explained to me that I was pronanting and some orthotics would help... anyways 250 quid later, still no resolution! I'm well chuffed :doh:

any ways, speaking to the physio today, she essentially to me there is NOTHING wrong with my running form. I'm flexible.I run fine, everything seems fine... any ideas why I'm still being effected? I'm running in some semi-decent Nike airs at the moment... should I get some better shoes or?

Mod edit: Changed to a more fitting title rather than a full stop. :smile:

Crazydave1990

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Do you have any ideas Ninja? you must have heard alot about shin splints from Potential Recruits?

Stoo2k

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
There are obviously other contributing issues! There are many! I suffer and it has only just come about i have compartment syndrome or so they think! I am going to say to you though, dont lose heart and stick at the training. You can still do the sit ups etc whilst waiting for shins to calm down but it is a long haul im affraid. Just start gently and build up. As i put on my other post, to build myself up after recovering for 7 months is to fast walk for 10 minutes and then jog for 2 then back to fast walk again, then 2 on, 2 off untill 30 minutes. This seems to be working for me but it may be a case of seeing what works for you untill you can hit the distances and times needed.
Best of luck to you.
Other than that, keep pestering the doctors.

xdous

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Are you stretching your shins out before and after running? A couple of example stretches would be as follows.

1. Hold a leg out infront and do large rotations with your ankle say 7-10 times both in the left and right direction. Then point you foot up and down (you should feel this in your calf also) again 7-10 times. Repeat for both legs.

2. Neel down on the floor with the tops of your feet facing down so your sitting on the bottoms of your feet. Then put your hands behind you and lean back.

Just a couple of suggestions, I hope they make sense and help mate.

Crazydave1990

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you both for the replies!

I wasn't stretching off initially, now however; I've started to do so...

I'm sorry to hear about the compartment syndrome dude, what does that mean for you, the marines and the running if you don't mind me asking?

TM

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
hi Dave, I'm in a similar situation to Stoo2k. PM me with a few more details about your injury history and I'll return the favour with my sob story.

Boyddie

Reaction score
I've had pains in my shins recently, i've was an avid runner in the past and had similar issues back then. A lot of the time it's simply due to over training or increasing your training by too much in a short space of time. this usually is because you have suddenly realised that you have an up coming date you need to be fit for and suddenly pile on the training.

I went to the physio a few days ago and the guy said I'm fine and i should be ok if i take it steady and build the muscles in my legs up more.

I got told to do calf raises (standing tip toed on the edge of a step and raising/lowering yourself as far as you can). 10x on eat foot individually and then walk around. Repeat 2 more times so you complete 3 sets. Do this both in the morning and at night.

Tie some elastic or something around a fixed object and loop it over your toes. pull your toes up towards you to stretch the front muscles in your shin.

Hold onto the back of a chair or a fixed object and jump from side to side, jumping high as if your jumping over an object or a hurdle and landing as softly as you can.

Standing next to a kitchen cupboard/counter or something similar with your toes of one foot a few inches away from it. lean forwards onto that foot, trying to get your knee to touch the cupboard/counter. After doing this for a while you can move back another inch or so and stretch further.

All these exercises are to be done barefoot and a few times a day, generally once in the morning and again at night (or before training sessions). I have noticed a significant difference in doing these exercises in only a few days. They are supposed to help increase the strength of your muscles to help you get over and avoid getting shin splints and other common lower leg injuries. They also increase the blood flow and warm up your muscles prior to exercise if you are experiencing shin pain as i am.

Barry McGuigan

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
I've had pains in my shins recently, i've was an avid runner in the past and had similar issues back then. A lot of the time it's simply due to over training or increasing your training by too much in a short space of time. this usually is because you have suddenly realised that you have an up coming date you need to be fit for and suddenly pile on the training.

I can relate to that! Infact i think all of us can, never really thought about it.

New Threads