Shin splints? Calf strain?

Discussion in 'Common Training Injuries' started by Charlie666, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Charlie666

Charlie666 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Hi all,

Got a limited medical later this week, having passed my first medical, because I had PFPS in my left leg for a while. Got all that healed and my runnings been going well. Few days ago I noticed a bit of pain and tightness in the left side of lower right leg, feels partly in posterior shin but also in the calf. This was only after a run though, no pain during whatsoever. Had a few days off and just had the same problem again.

Just wondering if anyone has got any idea what it could be or if they had the problem?

• Like Like x 1
  2. A350-800

A350-800 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Hello, sorry to hear about your injury. Obviously getting a diagnoses over the internet is not ideal and I recommend seeing a physio, but this does seem very much like posterior tibialis issues; the fact you are feeling it in your calf likely means you have mildly strained your tibialis posterior muscle. Please take care with this as the tib post muscle can cause issues such as post tib shin splints and the posterior tibialis tendon (medical ankle and foot arch tendon) attaches to this muscle and can get grouchy if the muscle is tight. I recommend you do not run for the next two weeks and cross train, you won't lose much fitness, and seek a medical analysis. Sports massages can help very much with this area with the posterior tibialis responding well to hands on treatment, or even using a hockey ball or tennis ball to massage the inner calves for 5 mins each leg to release tension. Another area you may want to look at is footwear and whether you have adequate pronation control in your shoes; the tibialis posterior works to stabilise the lower leg ( its tendon supports the foot arch and resists pronation) if you overpronate or run on a banked surface or camber this muscle and tendon can become overworked leading to shin splits and potentially tendonitis in the posterior calf and medial ankle. I wish you a good recovery, rest up for the next few weeks and you will likely be fine :) but please see a ohysio

3. Charlie666

Charlie666 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Cheers for the reply mate.

Trainers wise I think I'm fine, I went and got a gait analysis and some trainers properly fitted after my first injury.

I'll definitely rest it for a couple of weeks at least probably. Do you reckon a foam roller would be adequate for the 'hands on' massage stuff?

• Like Like x 1
  4. A350-800

A350-800 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I have copied and pasted these from another thread; these exercises should only really be done after seeing a medical expert or sports physio as with all injuries everyine is different and they may not work for you

[QUOTE="A350-800, post: 594130, member: 24920"

5. A350-800

A350-800 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Foam roller should be good, if it is stubborn though after a few weeks a massage could be useful, personally I find the foam roller quite difficult and big to get into the side of the calves, a tennis ball or hard ball is much easier, or you could use a rolling pin down the sides of your shins

6. Charlie666

Charlie666 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Well just had my medical for the PFPS, have to wait until November this year before I can continue with my application. Absolutely gutted.

7. A350-800

A350-800 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I am sorry to hear that mate, how recently was the injury? More time to prepare though for the gym tests and get yourself even stronger :)

8. Charlie666

Charlie666 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Last pain was in November, so it's a 12 month pain free period with a training diary at the last three months. Yeah, I'm already getting fairly good scores so at least ill be confident in my fitness by that time.

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  9. A350-800

A350-800 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    best of luck, keep us posted on how it's going :)