Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

shin splints: Should I start RT?

Discussion in 'Common Training Injuries' started by JB5351, May 1, 2020.

1. JB5351

JB5351 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Hello everyone,

I’ve been having shin splints on the inside of my leg for a while, before prmc I would do a BFT in morning and try to simulate a bottom field 'extra phys' in the afternoon and I would be limping because even walking would be quite painful. Now completed prmc and a couple weeks from RT and I took about a month off from running and over the last week or two I’ve got back into running as I couldn’t waste anymore time without running with RT creeping round the corner, but the aching/pain is still there but not bad enough where I cannot train, really don’t want to go into training and end up in hunter or worse getting discharged so if any advice on wether to delay training or go into it?

Thanks

• Seen Seen x 1
  2. Figgers

Figgers Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    You would probably get discharged due to arriving with the injury. Don’t join with one, be sensible and delay entry, Prmc is valid for 12 months I believe

• Like Like x 1
  3. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Contact your Careers Adviser and discuss a postponement.

I'm not a Careers Adviser but don't bank on rehabilitation in Hunter Coy during early weeks if you rock up to RT with pre-existing shin splints. The most likely outcome is that you'll be med discharged with a significant wait time before being able to reapply.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  4. Fishnchips

Fishnchips Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    I got these when I first started training because I was so new to running. Take 2 weeks off from running. I know it feels like you're losing progress but if you continue to run on it will make things worse

• Like Like x 3
  5. TrueNorthStronk

TrueNorthStronk New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    If you still feel like you have shin splints, it's not the best idea to start even if it doesn't hurt the most - it'll probably just build up and up over time and you'll be injured for much longer. Right now, just take a break from running but keep working out. If you can do any cardio activities that do not put pressure on your shins, do them.

Keep stretching too, or if you don't stretch then start doing it (especially your leg muscles) to avoid anything like this again. When you come back from a break, just slowly ease back into running as you'll want your shins to adapt.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

If you join with a pre-existing injury, even if only a niggle right now, the relentless tempo of recruit training will pretty much guarantee a medical discharge unfortunately, particularly if not declared. Pre-joining training injuries are unlikely to get better and Hunter, as stated above, is unlikely.

A medical discharge for an undisclosed, pre-existing injury may put the recommencement of recruit training back many months, rather than a few weeks deferral prior to joining.

This subject is a common theme unfortunately and despite advice with the very best of intentions, trying to give the optimal opportunity for success, many take the risk and regret it.

Talk to your AFCO, it's easy to defer, but quite an ordeal to go through the rigmarole of rejoining after a medical discharge.

Best of luck.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Griff149

Griff149 Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    I’d agree with the advice above. I myself am just coming out the other end of a nasty spout of shin splints and one thing I can tell you is that once you are able to start running pain free again, you will not be able to go back in at 100% tempo if you wish for it to remain that way.

I would recommend looking into the reasons as to why you developed shin splints in the first place (perhaps do an online assessment with a physio) and look to take the necessary corrective measures. Once you’re no longer in pain I’d then start slowly going back into running to give the muscles in your legs the opportunity to adapt again without risking re-injury.

• Like Like x 1
  8. JB5351

JB5351 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    It really does, appreciate the advice I’ll definitely do this, just being stuck at home feels like I’m rolling backwards

9. JB5351

JB5351 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Thanks for advice I would of risked it 100% as just want to get on with it now the wait is killing me!

10. JB5351

JB5351 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Thanks mate How would you know when they’re 100% gone? I also don’t walk a whole lot especially at the minute and I did a yomp with a backpack the other day and my lower legs were on fire, do you think I should do this sort of thing to strengthen my lower legs more?

11. Fishnchips

Fishnchips Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    You can also look into getting some natural antiinflammatories down at Holland and Barrett. For instance tumeric, there's lots of helpful supplements out there. Besides that I'm sure you know it's good to get all your essential vitamins and minerals to make sure you're as healthy as possible

• Like Like x 1
  12. Griff149

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    You’ll know mate when the pain has gone. For the time being I’d avoid anything that is loading up the weight on your shins and preventing/slowing down healing.

The irony with shin splints is often the pain isn’t bad enough to feel like you absolutely cannot exercise, however is prominent enough to know in the back of your mind that it’s not a good idea. It’s a frustration I’ve been battling with over the last couple of months. Sadly no quick fix, rest, let things get better then once the pain is completely gone and you can hop on each leg with no discomfort, start getting back at it but slowly.

13. kimbo96

kimbo96 Active Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    You could train through it, if you’re not limping home after running of course. Personally I’ve ran through shin splints, if it was a stress fracture though, I obviously wouldn’t run through that.

• Disagree. Disagree. x 3
  14. Griff149

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    I’d be careful with this though as often running through shin splints can lead to stress fractures

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  15. Steeplejackb

Steeplejackb Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    I'm off running at the moment with a suspected stress fracture, an x ray was inconclusive and the waiting time for an MRI scan is longer than the treatment time if it is a stress fracture so I'm treating it as such. In the meantime i'm fine to cycle so I've been doing a ton of that to keep the fitness up as much as possible.

Basically the corps isnt going anywhere in the few weeks it takes to recover, don't risk it!

16. Corona

Corona Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Personally would disagree as running 'through' shin splints is against every bit of advice I've been given by physios with regards to it. Running repeatedly on shin splints, I believe, runs a large risk of bad damage.

17. Rob20

Rob20 Royal Marines Commando Moderator

Absolutely don't train through it. So many lads have lower limb fractures in training, but in training its kind of unavoidable.

Why put yourself at risk before even getting through the gates. Arrive injury free and fit.

• Like Like x 3
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1