Shin splints training

Discussion in 'Common Training Injuries' started by Gabe319, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Gabe319

Gabe319 New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    I have currently got shin splints in my right calf so i changed my week to just doing swimming, cycling and rowing to help it heal.
    Will my fitness stay as it is if i do these exercises untill it heals or will my fitness drop?

2. Big Con

Big Con New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    As with anything else, you are likely to get setbacks at some point. I've had them and many guys on this forum have.

You are 16, and I can appreciate worrying about fitness levels and not reaching the required standard. Let your body heal itself, whilst doing your low impact CV.

Do you know your heart rate for when you are doing your mile and a halfs? If so get on a bike or cross trainer, something elliptical, and get yourself upto that heart rate and maintain it for however long your mile and a half time is, if not go harder but shorter. If you don't know it then don't stress and force yourself to run to find out because you'll make your shin splints worse.

What I can suggest is work on other areas of fitness, i.e. Press ups, pull ups, sit ups etc. Even if your fitness does drop, in terms of running, you've got bags of time, with your determination to get it back up anyway.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  3. Gabe319

Gabe319 New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Cheers, ive had it a few weeks but never felt anything of it but its got worse so ive decided just to hang back a little

4. CSVern

CSVern Active Member

I took a month out of running a year back due to lower leg issues. Did quite a lot of rowing in that time and if anything my CV fitness improved.
    Don't worry too much about it, low impact cardio will keep you going for now and is a good addition for when you slowly reintroduce running into your programme.

Your main concern now is to recover from your injury and not to do anything to aggrevate it in the mean time. Remedial phys, stretch, ice, deap heat, the works.
    Don't start running on it until it's 100% (and then only start slowly) otherwise it'll never go away.

• Like Like x 1
  5. john lewis

john lewis Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    I think I remember reading @arny01 saying 2x 1 mile swims and 2 x 10x500m a week would be a good injury replacement

• Like Like x 1