Shin Splints - Unsure what to try next

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Still not doing so good unfortunately, I'm paying for an mri to be done to see if that sheds any light. Unfortunately I didn't realise it would need to be 1 mri per leg which makes it quite expensive. I'm still doing the physio everyday but have stopped the running drills for at least 2 weeks. Trying to keep at least putting a good amount of stress on my shins through lots of walking although hopefully I can start the running again soon
Remember, injuries are also opportunities! Can’t run? Good! You can spend more time on total body strength and you are *text deleted* be in a much better place than just someone who can do VPJFT, sit ups, push ups and pull ups. Focus on getting great with those movements first. If you can max those reps out, great! Then let’s start adding more variations, attacking from multiple angles, especially the core and bulletproof your joints. If losing cardio is your worry try some of Iron Wolf’s workouts (once you have a solid base and burpees don’t hurt your leg), he has you covered! P.s.: give backward walking/running (check out my thread on it in the training plans) a go to see if that’s hurt too! It’s an exercise that’s widely used in rehab as changes the muscle activations but more importantly puts less impact forces on your joints while actually requiring a higher metabolic cost, there working your aerobic system just as good even at a slower pace.

Corona

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Remember, injuries are also opportunities! Can’t run? Good! You can spend more time on total body strength and you are *text deleted* be in a much better place than just someone who can do VPJFT, sit ups, push ups and pull ups. Focus on getting great with those movements first. If you can max those reps out, great! Then let’s start adding more variations, attacking from multiple angles, especially the core and bulletproof your joints. If losing cardio is your worry try some of Iron Wolf’s workouts (once you have a solid base and burpees don’t hurt your leg), he has you covered! P.s.: give backward walking/running (check out my thread on it in the training plans) a go to see if that’s hurt too! It’s an exercise that’s widely used in rehab as changes the muscle activations but more importantly puts less impact forces on your joints while actually requiring a higher metabolic cost, there working your aerobic system just as good even at a slower pace.
Thanks for the info, will check Iron Wolf out. I have heard of backwards running before but never got around to checking it out fully so will read your thread now thanks :)

Vine

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, will check Iron Wolf out. I have heard of backwards running before but never got around to checking it out fully so will read your thread now thanks :)
I’ve had some lower limbs injury myself and it’s been soul destroying at times from stress fractures torn calfs perostitis plan old shin issues so I have a decent idea of some fixes. What’s your situation? Do you have over pronation or supination ? Do you know your cadence ? Is it posterior or anterior shin splints ? How long have you actually fully took off running since the last issues ? What trainers are you running in and how many miles are you doing per pair of trainers ? Have you seen positive improvements with any particular thing ? In the three years how long have you actually been able to get running properly? When you start running again are you rehabbed progressively ie static movements, plyrometric movements, weighted movements then return to running 2 mins on 2 mins off stuff or are you feeling better and going back in full blown running straight away ? When you are getting any better how quickly are you ramping up the mileage ? Are you jumping straight onto road running ? I have some rehab programmes there mate I can forward you over with proper progressions and times to do it for.

Last edited:

Corona

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Finally got the MRI done, and was told its a stress fracture. I dont know if this is the right screenshot as she didn't tell me exactly which image it was shown in, but I'm presuming its that little black line. Still waiting to hear back from the physio as to what to do next as I want to keep doing lots of physio work with the weights and bands but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to put a lot of weight on the legs? (Its not painful when I do). The confusing thing is its not constantly painful/that painful at all only when running and I think the main pain actually isn't even where that black line is, its where the white circle is on this google leg.1617218599798.png

Attachments

• M_MR_20210331_200710_12.png
    M_MR_20210331_200710_12.png
    73.8 KB · Views: 24

Corona

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I’ve had some lower limbs injury myself and it’s been soul destroying at times from stress fractures torn calfs perostitis plan old shin issues so I have a decent idea of some fixes. What’s your situation? Do you have over pronation or supination ? Do you know your cadence ? Is it posterior or anterior shin splints ? How long have you actually fully took off running since the last issues ? What trainers are you running in and how many miles are you doing per pair of trainers ? Have you seen positive improvements with any particular thing ? In the three years how long have you actually been able to get running properly? When you start running again are you rehabbed progressively ie static movements, plyrometric movements, weighted movements then return to running 2 mins on 2 mins off stuff or are you feeling better and going back in full blown running straight away ? When you are getting any better how quickly are you ramping up the mileage ? Are you jumping straight onto road running ? I have some rehab programmes there mate I can forward you over with proper progressions and times to do it for.
Sorry only just saw this.
With regards to pro/supination, I don't have either majorly (one, I cant remember which to a very small degree), I do have a slightly sunken arch however.

I've fixed my cadence as I used to run with very long strides, to now have shorter strides with my foot landing below isntead of ahead of me. I've fully taken off 8 weeks as the longest period of no running time. Trainers are new and fitted by a podiatrist. Saw positive improvments for the period of Sept - Dec 2019 as I built up from about 30 secs of running but since then nothing, even with trying the same strategy. I've always done it progressively, done almost exactly as you said. Starting off with static movements and weighted physio, into plyrometric movements and then running drills and then running (using a running plan of I think 1 min run, 4 min walk and build up each week).

Havent done any road running for ages, its always been on grass/mud so as to try and stop there being so much stress going through my shins.

Kingy7

Reaction score
At least you now have a diagnosis to work with . The advise given to my son with his shin stress fractures was to rest his legs for 4 months (though you can still swim , work upper body). When resuming training start very gradually. The danger is doing too much too soon and finding yourself in the same position in a few months time.

Corona

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
At least you now have a diagnosis to work with . The advise given to my son with his shin stress fractures was to rest his legs for 4 months (though you can still swim , work upper body). When resuming training start very gradually. The danger is doing too much too soon and finding yourself in the same position in a few months time.
Thanks, did your sun still do things like weighted squats/calf raises to keep the muscles from going weak and just stay away from impact exercises or did he stay away from all things lower limb (other than swimming)? Thanks

Kingy7

Reaction score
He’s actually still currently resting. He was NFA medically discharged during RT in February due to the stress fractures in his shins but hoping to rejoin after a year. Both the sports physio he has since seen and Medical Officer at Lympstone advised the same amount of time to fully rest his shins before starting running again. He’s not doing any form of exercise on his legs apart from walking. It’s frustrating for him as he feels absolutely fine and there’s no pain at all but he knows not to risk it as could set himself back further. He will start with a walk / short run programme after the 4 months and gradually build from there.

Vine

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry only just saw this.
With regards to pro/supination, I don't have either majorly (one, I cant remember which to a very small degree), I do have a slightly sunken arch however.

I've fixed my cadence as I used to run with very long strides, to now have shorter strides with my foot landing below isntead of ahead of me. I've fully taken off 8 weeks as the longest period of no running time. Trainers are new and fitted by a podiatrist. Saw positive improvments for the period of Sept - Dec 2019 as I built up from about 30 secs of running but since then nothing, even with trying the same strategy. I've always done it progressively, done almost exactly as you said. Starting off with static movements and weighted physio, into plyrometric movements and then running drills and then running (using a running plan of I think 1 min run, 4 min walk and build up each week).

Havent done any road running for ages, its always been on grass/mud so as to try and stop there being so much stress going through my shins.
I have a full rehab programme there I’ll ping you over in DM. I’ve done 8+ weeks myself at times and it wasn’t enough I know that’s not what you want to hear but reality is absolute no impact phys until your cleared of issues, then a slow progressive programme to return back to fitness. Believe me I know it’s horrendous but it’s either that or it develops into stress fractures and serious injuries. I’ve completely seen myself off trying to griz it out and go back to training rather than just admitting it needs a the proper rest. You need to start progressive being the biggest issue for me I took 8/10 weeks off once did a 2 mile run felt fine then cracked a 5 mile at a fast pace couple days later and ended up out again for a further 6 weeks yes I was that stupid. Take the proper rest is my advice because when you are serving going on the BIFF is paramount to having a contagious disease your automatically seen as some phys dodging weakling unless the bone is hanging out your leg. As above make sure your trainers are suitable and when you do get back too it think wisely on only 10% a week progression mileage wise and those type of things now is the best time to proper square it away and rehab it. By all means get in the pool and do some static weightlifting etc just be sensible about it you won’t lose all your fitness and does come back fairly quick is the good news.

Corona

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I have a full rehab programme there I’ll ping you over in DM. I’ve done 8+ weeks myself at times and it wasn’t enough I know that’s not what you want to hear but reality is absolute no impact phys until your cleared of issues, then a slow progressive programme to return back to fitness. Believe me I know it’s horrendous but it’s either that or it develops into stress fractures and serious injuries. I’ve completely seen myself off trying to griz it out and go back to training rather than just admitting it needs a the proper rest. You need to start progressive being the biggest issue for me I took 8/10 weeks off once did a 2 mile run felt fine then cracked a 5 mile at a fast pace couple days later and ended up out again for a further 6 weeks yes I was that stupid. Take the proper rest is my advice because when you are serving going on the BIFF is paramount to having a contagious disease your automatically seen as some phys dodging weakling unless the bone is hanging out your leg. As above make sure your trainers are suitable and when you do get back too it think wisely on only 10% a week progression mileage wise and those type of things now is the best time to proper square it away and rehab it. By all means get in the pool and do some static weightlifting etc just be sensible about it you won’t lose all your fitness and does come back fairly quick is the good news.
Thanks, that would be great if you could. Is it ok to do Bulgarian split squats with the leg that has the stress fracture? Or should I just straight up avoid all exercise tha would be putting weight directly through that shin so to speak. I am doing resistance band exercises for my glutes but I dont have many variations of them and they definitely arent as good as the bss burnout stuff unfortunately.

Vine

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks, that would be great if you could. Is it ok to do Bulgarian split squats with the leg that has the stress fracture? Or should I just straight up avoid all exercise tha would be putting weight directly through that shin so to speak. I am doing resistance band exercises for my glutes but I dont have many variations of them and they definitely arent as good as the bss burnout stuff unfortunately.
Take the proper time off mate stick too the pool and cycling etc. Low to no impact on it and follow the programme can vouch it definitely works but it’s just slow rehab I absolutely hated it. Can always work on your press ups sit ups pulls in that time as well just lay off the weighted squats etc in case it’s part of the aggravation on it. Best idea is see a local private physio for the exact gen on it but this one does work if you actually follow it and don’t go rogue trying to smash phys half way through.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
dolly Shin Splints a PERMANENT bar to entry? Common Training Injuries 14
PotentialBritishBootneck Shin splints Common Training Injuries 3
MotherBear Shin splints Parents & Partners 6