Shin Splints - Unsure what to try next

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Still not doing so good unfortunately, I'm paying for an mri to be done to see if that sheds any light. Unfortunately I didn't realise it would need to be 1 mri per leg which makes it quite expensive. I'm still doing the physio everyday but have stopped the running drills for at least 2 weeks. Trying to keep at least putting a good amount of stress on my shins through lots of walking although hopefully I can start the running again soon
Remember, injuries are also opportunities! Can’t run? Good! You can spend more time on total body strength and you are *text deleted* be in a much better place than just someone who can do VPJFT, sit ups, push ups and pull ups. Focus on getting great with those movements first. If you can max those reps out, great! Then let’s start adding more variations, attacking from multiple angles, especially the core and bulletproof your joints. If losing cardio is your worry try some of Iron Wolf’s workouts (once you have a solid base and burpees don’t hurt your leg), he has you covered! P.s.: give backward walking/running (check out my thread on it in the training plans) a go to see if that’s hurt too! It’s an exercise that’s widely used in rehab as changes the muscle activations but more importantly puts less impact forces on your joints while actually requiring a higher metabolic cost, there working your aerobic system just as good even at a slower pace.

Corona

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Remember, injuries are also opportunities! Can’t run? Good! You can spend more time on total body strength and you are *text deleted* be in a much better place than just someone who can do VPJFT, sit ups, push ups and pull ups. Focus on getting great with those movements first. If you can max those reps out, great! Then let’s start adding more variations, attacking from multiple angles, especially the core and bulletproof your joints. If losing cardio is your worry try some of Iron Wolf’s workouts (once you have a solid base and burpees don’t hurt your leg), he has you covered! P.s.: give backward walking/running (check out my thread on it in the training plans) a go to see if that’s hurt too! It’s an exercise that’s widely used in rehab as changes the muscle activations but more importantly puts less impact forces on your joints while actually requiring a higher metabolic cost, there working your aerobic system just as good even at a slower pace.
Thanks for the info, will check Iron Wolf out. I have heard of backwards running before but never got around to checking it out fully so will read your thread now thanks :)

Vine

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, will check Iron Wolf out. I have heard of backwards running before but never got around to checking it out fully so will read your thread now thanks :)
I’ve had some lower limbs injury myself and it’s been soul destroying at times from stress fractures torn calfs perostitis plan old shin issues so I have a decent idea of some fixes. What’s your situation? Do you have over pronation or supination ? Do you know your cadence ? Is it posterior or anterior shin splints ? How long have you actually fully took off running since the last issues ? What trainers are you running in and how many miles are you doing per pair of trainers ? Have you seen positive improvements with any particular thing ? In the three years how long have you actually been able to get running properly? When you start running again are you rehabbed progressively ie static movements, plyrometric movements, weighted movements then return to running 2 mins on 2 mins off stuff or are you feeling better and going back in full blown running straight away ? When you are getting any better how quickly are you ramping up the mileage ? Are you jumping straight onto road running ? I have some rehab programmes there mate I can forward you over with proper progressions and times to do it for.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MotherBear Shin splints Parents & Partners 6
J shin splints: Should I start RT? Common Training Injuries 16
Griff149 Returning to running after shin splints Common Training Injuries 4