Shin Splints write up and solution.

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Shin Splints explanation.

Shin Splints - The Explanation

This is the general term used in place of three conditions in the lower leg that have similar causes - medial tibial stress syndrome (MTSS), compartment syndrome and stress fracture. It's perhaps best to think of the symptoms that runners can get in two areas of the lower leg. One is on the inside of the shinbone (pain can arise here because of MTSS; the other is on the front and outside of the leg (this is generally caused by anterior compartment syndrome, but occasionally a stress fracture).

MTSS causes pain along the large selection of the medial side of the tibia (shin bone). The cause of the pain is thought to be the inflammation that occurs when tibialis prosterior muscle in the lower leg attaches to the shin. A stress fracture can also occur on the medial side, but this tends to be located at a much smaller, well-defined area.

Stress fractures and MTSS tend to happen if you're an overpronator running without corrective trainers, or if you've increased your training with insufficient rest, or have been running on cambered surfaces. You should always seek medical advice in this situation, as it's likely physiotherapy will be needed. You may need to have some diagnostic testing done and you should immediately cut back on your training. However it's fine to go swimming or biking during recovery, which can take several weeks. The best way to avoid the problem in the first place is to wear good footwear, follow a sensible training programme and run on soft surfaces.

Anterior pain in the shins is caused by a compartment syndrome. This means there is excessive swelling of the muscles on the front of your shin due to overuse. These muscles swell, and because they are housed in a pocket of fascia, the swelling can restrict blood supply and cause you pain. It's generally novice runners who haven't yet acclimatized to running who tend to get this, but it also occurs if you fail to stretch your calf muscles enough. Running on hard surfaces in trainers with poor shock absorbing can also contribute. If you experience these symptoms, you should cut back on your training. Don't run if you experience pain during or after your running. You may need physio advice - and it's important to stretch your calves regularly.

Shin Splints - The Exercise

Cross the leg to be stretched in front of the over (as if you were walking on a catwalk in high heals). Lean into the stretch so that the foot begins to roll and big toe points to the ceiling. Hold for 30 seconds, repeating three times.

Dodger

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
sorry to be a pain mate, any chance you can write this up? looks useful but my IE wont enlarge it

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Okay I updated it as my first post was shabby and I forgot IE tends to minimise (I use firefox)

Nod 88

Reaction score
Ashely,
Cheers for the insight mate. Got my prmc on 6th and have just picked this up, feels like when i am running i am being stabbed on the inside of my shin. Would it be painful to touch on front of shin if it is splints?

Mark.

Dodger

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
yes mate, the front can be painful along with the insides of you shin, on the muscle attachments. Horrible injury, soon as you think your picking it up, rest, ibuprofen, ice the shins etc, dont mess about.

Cheers for teh right up Ashley.

Ipodbob

Reaction score
I just got shin splints 2 weeks before my PTFT i was not amused, just as i was starting to get used to running under 7 min miles for 4+ miles every other day. I'm not allowed to run for 2-3 weeks.

Got some nike plus trainers fitted but it was too late, didn't help at all. Best advice is definitely get some properly fitted running trainers before u get shin pain.

At least its a 5 mile bike ride to go swimming, good phys at least :P.

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I never had shin splints myself. But my brother suffered from them when we used to go running, so we would run on grass and it reduced the impact and pain of the shin splints.

hopefull

Reaction score
ive got shin splints, its bloody annoying as anything, there is surgery available to help cure the problem, but im not sure whether this will hinder my application or not. any information on this issue would be gratefully recieved.

cheers

max