Shin splints

Reaction score
Have my interview coming up at the end of the month. I’m also taking a break from running, after I started developing shin splints and thought it recovered and started running again prematurely which caused it to flare up really bad. I wasn’t planning on putting this on the medical questionnaire because I haven’t gone to my GP for professional advice and assume it will no longer be a problem by the time I get to start ROP in a year and a couple months. However I’m worried that during the interview I’m going to get asked about running times and I haven’t ran a timed 5K yet which is my fault but I don’t want to look like I haven’t prepared and I also don’t want to lie about it. Any advice?

dolly

Reaction score
Stop overthinking and stressing. Prehab is better than rehab as they say. Start stretching and foam rolling in the mornings and evenings and after phys. Helped me. You've over a year till ROP as you claim so chill out or you'll burn out from worry before you even get there. 2 weeks of no running, alternating for bike/row/swim will more than likely allow your shins to heal, if you start now you'll likely be able to crack a 5K before your interview, they will likely not ask for a 5K time, but for a best effort 2.4K time (aim for under 0930). Keep an exercise diary so you can track your progress if you are worried. I'm no doctor and this is not professional advice, but in my experience the above is what helped me. If you haven't been diagnosed by a professional for shin splints, don't put it down - you can't self-diagnose. If after all the above you are still worried/symptoms persist/worsen see your GP and let your AFCO know.

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Also can’t go wrong with having a go at this:

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
3 times per week, stretching days in between, every 7th day is rest
Zero:
A, ROKP (reverse out of knee pain): gradually work up to a 15 minutes of backward walk then backward jog, he explains it on his channel.
For the rest of the exercises the goal is to working up to the below sets. Watch the videos as many exercises have harder versions. Once pristine form is reached you can move on to harder exercise. Video yourself for the side.
B, 25 reps
C, 25 reps
D, 25 reps Tibialis raises repeated again to take the tension of the calf that you are feeling right now :
E, 25 reps
F, 25 reps,
G, Watch that video for sure
H, ATG split squat if all the exercises above are done to max reps with good form. 5 x 5 per each side. 30 sec rest after each 5 reps even if you are alternating sides!
I, KOT squat: let’s just master that ATG split squat first.

Stretches: he says in the video

When doing the stretching videos you can see that two exercises are linked, i.e.: C1-C2, that means you do 1 set (left and right leg) of C1 exercise then 1 set (left and right leg) of C2. That’s 1 set for each exercise. You are doing 2 sets of every exercises. Don’t worry about what Upper body zero is, it is just a basic upper body programme.

Attachments

• 5DE8F76E-5C2E-4F0B-BE7B-2E73E59DB909.png
    5DE8F76E-5C2E-4F0B-BE7B-2E73E59DB909.png
    180.7 KB · Views: 4
  • B6018448-C826-4E6A-BD2C-982CE46B7784.png
    B6018448-C826-4E6A-BD2C-982CE46B7784.png
    186.2 KB · Views: 2