Shin Splints

Roy Brown

Reaction score
Looks like i've got shin splints. Went to the running shop the other day they told me the neutral running shoe is correct for me (the one i've been using for two months) and yet still even after a proper warmup (dynamic stretches plus short sprints etc) as soon as i start running the shins hurt:sad:. So looks like i'm out for a while and one person told me i could be out for nine months depending on the extent of the injury! So anyone want to tell me why they think it could have been caused? Also how long do you think it will take and what can i do in the meantime? Cheers.

BradfordBulls

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hmmm, i don't quite understand what shin splints are. I think I may have them, what happens to me is when i get into the run the back of my legs start to hurt when my feet hit the ground (but are getting better), are these shin splints?

Roy Brown

Reaction score
I don't think you've got them mate it's at the bottom of your legs and i read that it's on the inside of the leg. If it hurts here as soon as you start running then it's shin splints. I'm not sure if i have them though or if it's some other injury because my shins don't hurt on the inside or outside of shins but rather just the front.

stanhawk225

Reaction score
I suffered with this when i was in Army training. Pain in the shins on speed marching. Went for all kind of test's. Turn's out, it was just muscle growing.
With a bit more phys, pain got less and less. And i made to my unit.
Would check with your doc. He can give you a proper answer.
Good luck with it mate.

Roy Brown

Reaction score
Not sure about the pain in the back of your legs mate. Ask somebody on here or google it should help you out. Cheers for that Stan i thought doctors told you about coughs not sporting injuries *text deleted*.

stanhawk225

Reaction score
Would trust a doc advice over mine. This is just somethin that happened to me. Sure he could give advice of how to see, maybe send you for tests. I had to have some sort of super x-ray, in Gosport naval base. Even Army doc thought it was shin splints, but it wasn't. So wouldn't panic mate.

andy5sm

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
when i fierst started training three years ago i got shin splints , what i did was cut down on the running but smashed my upper body exercise all day, i slrapped my shins up with tubular grips and took ibuprofen and went jogging but not running plus plenty of walks, this in turn healed them and made the muscle stonger and i never got them again till now, im retraining agen and because up until a couple of months ago i didnt run for a couple o years i got them back now im just doing that routine again and it seems to be working,
the main thing is which i forgot to add is that shinsplints are a shock injury so when you run do it on grass until theve healed trust me it works, ive had a lot of experience with this injury so if you want to no more please ask
hope i have been some help mate :thefinger::thefinger:

Roy Brown

Reaction score
Yeah cheers for that andy some good information. I'm not sure if i do have shin splints as i'm not even sure where the shins are *text deleted*. On some things i've seen the shins are just below the knee but my pain is just above the ankle and rather than it being pain on the inside like in shin splints it's just at the front. I'm really hoping i haven't got them i don't want to be out for nine months! I'm crap enough as it is.

andy5sm

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
you wont be out that long 2 weeks max and dont put yourself doen you will never get nowhere, just keep up the phys, pressup situp etc and do some cycling swimming and walking you will be all good i had them when i first did my prmc which i passed because of a wonderful drug called brufen, the best pain killer around, remember strength of mind!!
keep me updated mate you will be fine buddy, add me as friend and pm me well get through it
:thefinger::thefinger:

TheYeti

Reaction score
I've just got over a bout of shin splints - which is just a generic name for pains on the front of the lower leg and not a specific injury.

Ice, ibuprofen and 2 weeks with no high impact phys did the trick for me.