Shin Splints!

emerson88

Reaction score
Got shin splints about two months ago, didn't run for about four weeks then i had my pjft so had to. I ran that with no pain so then eased back into my running by dong it on grass etc.

I thought that was it and that the muscle had built up around the shin but now it's come back in the same shin.

Does anyone know a way of speeding up recovery/preventing them in future please? I cannot afford to lose another four weeks of running as i should have my prmc soon.

cheers

Paul

Macca

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Hi emerson88, I also suffered from shin splints before pjft and PRMC and it is abit of a worry. I decided to rest for 2 weeks. I was applying deap heat cream onto my shins aswel as doing exercises to strengthen my muscles in the shin, also every 2 hours a day i would put ice on my shins wich works wonders. One of the exercises consisted of just standing up against the wall with your back pushed up to the wall and your feet one foot away from the wall, keep your legs straight and lift you toes as high up as possible then bring them down, repeat this for 5 mins, your shins will feel like they have had a work out wich is a good sign. I also swapped my running for alot more of swimming and bike riding during this 2 week period. My shins did feel much better and after 2 weeks started going for light jogs then gradually increased this and haven't had a problem since.

Obviously everyone are different so not everything works the same for everyone, but this worked for me, seeking medical advise maybe advised but hope things get better

cheers

Macca

jeremy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Is it normal to feel pain when you press on the side of your shins?

Ipodbob

Reaction score
If the pain is on the inside of your shin bone then it could be posterior shin splints, what i had. The pain is caused by the arch in your foot not being fully supported and in effect slapping the arch down with every stride you take. This in turn twists and pulls the muscle along the inside of the shin bone and the left side of the knee (at extremes).

The best remedy was for me was a week off running and getting a pair of these http://shop.sandpit.com/product_info.php?cPath=2&products_id=2. I put these inside my nike plus running trainers replacing the insoles. These are also wonderful for boots.

Im assuming you have a properly fitted pair of trainers, if not get your self down to a running shop like "sweatshop" and they will put you on a treadmill and see how your feet land, as over pronation might be your problem.

jeremy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I might get some... Anyone else recommend them because they are around 40 pounds inc p&p, half the price of my trainers!

Ipodbob

Reaction score
as i said before it really depends which side of the shin the pain is because if its on the outside i dought these insoles would help much. It all depends on which side you foot is pronating when you run.

For my case that i run mainly on the outside half of my foot because of the arch issue i had i needed either these insoles or supported trainers. Either will do but i prefer the insoles as u can heat mold them as many times as you like.

The pain i had was in the inside of my shin at the bottom half of it, just above my ankle stretching for about a 10cm area, but not anymore :bud:

I didnt like the price either but now i have some im *text deleted* buy a pair for my both sets of boots and trainers.

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Shin splints are caused mainly due to a far too rapid increase in exercise and not enough rest in between.

The muscles in our lower legs are each wrapped in a separate casing, which itself is attached to the bone. If you step up training too much too quickly the casing cannot stretch as fast as our muscles start to grow.

The muscle is fed more blood causing it to swell. This can cause the casing to tear or even start to tear away from the bone, this is very painful and the intense burning you feel when running is the muscle trying to break out of its casing.

Warm up properly so that the blood flow to the muscle is slower and progressive and don't push yourself too far too soon.

Your CV fitness may be telling you that you can cope with another mile, or you can increase your speed by another couple kmph, but your muscles have no way of telling you they won't be able to cope until its too late.

Stepping up training too quickly can also cause problems in many other areas. This includes your joints. You are putting your joints under an increasing amount of stress disproportional to your muscle development.

Far too often people only judge their fitness by their CV capabilities, thus risking so many injuries or long term problems.

When people say, take rest days, or don't step up training too quickly, its for a very good reason.

I speak from experience, and many many chats with my physio.

I can now only run just over a mile before my knee tells me its going to put me through hell, but my CV fitness is telling me it wants to run to France!

Sorry for the essay, but shin splints is a massive cause of Medical Discharge and it is so easily avoided. Take another 2 months training before starting RT, its not long to wait but it may triple your chances of completing RT.

emerson88

Reaction score
that's a great help, cheers guys. Yeah my shin feels bruised all the way down and sharp pains with movement.

I think it's worth getting the insoles, although i have bought similar ones from boots, and will get some new running shoes aswell. Don't mind about the cost as long as it helps!!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
dolly Shin Splints a PERMANENT bar to entry? Common Training Injuries 14
PotentialBritishBootneck Shin splints Common Training Injuries 3
MotherBear Shin splints Parents & Partners 6